Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Drive In Movies Making A Big Comeback!

Looks like drive ins are making a huge comeback!

Showing movies.

Singers are now using them to do concerts!

People are having weddings at them with the big screen livestreaming at families homes who can't go!

Events can be booked there also.

Classic films like back to the future and batman 89 are getting shown as well.

Having monster and horror events.

New ones are now getting built! (really!)

Looks like Netflix, amazon and indie movies are showing at drive ins also.

This one is showing a few.

https://www.facebook.com/KingDriveInMovies/

This one is showing a odd pairing of lovesong and sonic!

http://www.cinemagictheatre.net/

From another site.

https://whatson.ae/2020/05/sharjah-w...ive-in-cinema/

https://whatson.ae/2020/05/review-vo...-the-emirates/

[IMG][/IMG]
    [IMG][/IMG]

Looks like a farmer has turned one of their fields into a drive-in and it's a hit.

Looked it up. We have one 20 min from here! Hmm.

Also looks like they can livestream like fathom events type films at them now!

Someone should tell fathom events that.
    Last edited by Gaastra; 05-17-2020 at 07:44 AM.

Strangely our local drive in has not done anything as of yet.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

BANNED

Nice stuff.

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

The one close to me is open now, but just on the weekends and the concession stand is still closed. I would imagine it will be business as usual there within a few weeks though.

Astonishing Member

Ive never been to an drive by cinema before, but this Saturday I had the chance to visit one. It was sold out for a whole month and still is. Means you have to book a month before. It was very comfortable, pulling the seat back, sipping Gin and Juice and eating Sushi in the car.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Maybe it's just me, but I never understood the appeal of drive-ins. If you don't get a good spot, the screen could look like it's miles away, and the sound comes from a box you hang from your car window. On top of that, most drive-ins were out in the sticks, so people who didn't have cars were screwed. Besides, most places that had drive-ins were paved over and turned into malls, office buildings or condos/townhouses/apartments. All things considered, I can live without drive-ins.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Astonishing Member

The sound comes through your speakers, so if you have a good round system it rocks.

I liked that I could put my feet anywhere I want and eat what I bought from home and even talk and do other things with my wife. I understand if you are to far left or right or in the back that the screen looks to tiny. And it was cheaper than our regular cinema

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    Maybe it's just me, but I never understood the appeal of drive-ins. If you don't get a good spot, the screen could look like it's miles away, and the sound comes from a box you hang from your car window. On top of that, most drive-ins were out in the sticks, so people who didn't have cars were screwed. Besides, most places that had drive-ins were paved over and turned into malls, office buildings or condos/townhouses/apartments. All things considered, I can live without drive-ins.
    I was never a big fan though I did once see the original Star Wars at one.

I'm over 60 and diabetic so the first thing that crossed my mind seeing this thread was: what about restrooms?

I'm assuming that the people in the car with you are people you live in the same house with. So just watch Netflix. Take a drive or a walk around the block first to get your out of the house fix.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    That's cool. I like drive ins a lot.

Almost all drive-ins are cheaper. Sometimes you can even do an entire car load for 10$. They usually show a double feature with two movies. There's a much bigger selection of food and it costs way less than theater snacks. You can also bring food from home. You can recline as much as you want, wear sweats and if you aren't the one driving you can have a couple drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post

I'm over 60 and diabetic so the first thing that crossed my mind seeing this thread was: what about restrooms?

They have restrooms next to concessions.
    Last edited by Midnighter; 05-22-2020 at 04:03 PM.

sorry double post.

Mighty Member

It'd be great if they show those crazy intermission snack bar ads!