Mighty Member

Default Saw the sequel never saw the original

Bride of Frankenstein
    Anchorman 2
    Minions and despicable me 3
    Another 48 hours in 1990 saw the original decades later
    And you?

Extraordinary Member

I honestly don't believe I have ever watched a sequel without seeing the original.

Maybe saw a sequel first, but always went back and watched the original afterwards.

Hmmm... I've done that with video games (ie I started playing Street Fighter 2 and Warcraft 3 without playing the original game that started the franchie), but I don't think I ever did that with a movie. I've seen a couple movies out of order but I've always managed to catch the original down the line because of Net Flix.

Edit: Just thought of one... I don't think I've ever seen the original Friday the 13th. I only saw the ones with the Hockey Mask wearing Jason.

Extraordinary Member Derek Metaltron's Avatar

Paddington 2 the other day. Honestly I think it worked okay without seeing the first one.

Astonishing Member

Saw Terminator 2 before Terminator. Watched The Conjuring 2, never saw the original. Annebelle Creation, haven't seen the previous movies. I saw Nightmare on Elm Street: Dream Warriors first, it would take years before I saw the rest.

Retired

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Metaltron View Post
    Paddington 2 the other day. Honestly I think it worked okay without seeing the first one.
    2 is the better movie, but the first one is well worth the watch.

I couldn't think of one until I remembered that it was ALIENS that I saw in the theatre, back when it first came out. I went through a good deal of my life, very happily, without seeing the first movie, ALIEN. But then last year, I thought I should give it a try. It was okay, but nothing to write home about. I probably could have gone to my grave without seeing it and been all right about that.

I'll have to think some more to come up with a sequel, where I still haven't seen the original yet.

Extraordinary Member

I watched the 2nd Friday the 13th years before I saw the first because I knew Jason wasn’t the killer in the first film

Blair Witch 2: Book of Shadows.

I never saw the original to this day, simply because I'm not a fan of "found footage" movies. When I saw at the time the sequel would not be found footage, I made it a point to see it. And I liked it alot. I wonder if a lot of the hate this movie gets is because well unlike me practically everyone has seen the first movie, loved it, and then said "wtf was that?" after seeing the sequel.

The Silence of the Lambs.

In fact, many people don't even know that it's a sequel.

Then there are movies where I saw the sequel first and the original years later. Terminator 3 before Terminator 2, and Terminator 2 before Terminator. The Dark Knight before Batman Begins. I don't even remember which Mission: Impossible movie I saw first, but it definitely wasn't the original.

One of the Ridick movies, for a long time I believed to be the only one, but turns out that it wasn't even the first one.

The Lego Movie 2
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Ultimate Member

I've never seen Alien, but I've seen Aliens and most of the movies that followed

BANNED

Terminator 2. Never saw the first one, though I plan to remedy that today evening or tomorrow.

Also James Bond sorta counts. Earliest Bond movie I've seen is Goldfinger. But I've not seen the first two.

Quote Originally Posted by The Cool Thatguy View Post
    I've never seen Alien, but I've seen Aliens and most of the movies that followed
    Cool, you have 50% of the good ones still to watch.

Mighty Member

Beverly Hills cop 1,3 but not 2