Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Because it has one of the best battle choreography and close quarters combat in mainstream that can be easily recognisable . Superman's movements stinks. To put it bluntly.
    Superman's not a martial artist in the same way ninjas trained since birth in a warrior culture are. Honestly, Wonder Woman is a more fair comparison than Superman in this respect.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Superman's not a martial artist in the same way ninjas trained since birth in a warrior culture are. Honestly, Wonder Woman is a more fair comparison than Superman in this respect.
    It doesn't matter. Superman is a strongman. He had trained in boxers to be world champion in goldenage. The guy moved like alien creature gymnast in many of the old comics. Shuster was very particular about showing superman's movements in an appealing way. As if john carter or tarzan or doc savage moved like novices . The guy used to run on electric wires. How awesome is that? He used to cling on things and run up walls, swim/run through the air,His eyes acted wierdly with x-ray vision and stuff..etc.All might nor one punch man are martial artist, either.Yet, they aren't presented as lame unimaginative brawlers.

look at the white eyes. That's basically a byakugan These two are alien in nature. Even if you don't do that. Atleast have superman move like goldenage guy or all might.

Why treat the character as a lameass when he is a badass?
    And are you kidding me? Superman's movements are absolutely uninspiring compared to wonderwoman. She glides on air, uses her hands to beat up bullets, she uses weapon like her lasso to do swinging movements and stuff... Etc. Her movie was fantastic about her action scenes. She felt like some warrior goddess.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-30-2020 at 02:14 AM.

Astonishing Member

Agree,it's strange to imagine drawing a Superman or animating him doing aikido,ju jitsu or Kung Fu.Like it just takes him into Neo of the Matrix territory and takes him down a peg.You can't depict Superman doing martial arts,sure it connotes discipline but it also tells I've been training to fight humans with human strength levels so either 1.I half ass my fights to come off as a human and prefer the theatrics even if I could end a fight in a second 2.I've no confidence in my superior strength and speed and so need to learn better tricks that scare off a superpowered being with my 'wushu-fingerhold'...either way ridiculous

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Agree,it's strange to imagine drawing a Superman or animating him doing aikido,ju jitsu or Kung Fu.Like it just takes him into Neo of the Matrix territory and takes him down a peg.You can't depict Superman doing martial arts,sure it connotes discipline but it also tells I've been training to fight humans with human strength levels so either 1.I half ass my fights to come off as a human and prefer the theatrics even if I could end a fight in a second 2.I've no confidence in my superior strength and speed and so need to learn better tricks that scare off a superpowered being with my 'wushu-fingerhold'...either way ridiculous
    You do know there can be supernatural martial artists. right? Moreover, there is a fine line between martial artist and being a dumb bruiser. People really need to see how agile goldenage superman was depicted as. Comparatively superman currently is a rock. His superior speed and strength doesn't mean anything when his movements are depicted in unimaginative way.

fights with an absolutely invincible man with no martial skill doesn't need to look so underwhelming.Regardless, superman isn't that.

I don't need to see some complex martial arts moves from Superman. Just have him fight intelligently. In the Superman/Batman movie, I thought they did okay showing Superman as a hurricane of punches. In the JL cartoon (not the awful season one), he fought a couple grounded antagonists by sending them airborne, even using an armlock at one point. I just don't like it when the storyboarders get lazy and insist Superman likes to block punches and blasts from guys who he knows can hurt him with his face.

Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    I don't need to see some complex martial arts moves from Superman. Just have him fight intelligently. In the Superman/Batman movie, I thought they did okay showing Superman as a hurricane of punches. In the JL cartoon (not the awful season one), he fought a couple grounded antagonists by sending them airborne, even using an armlock at one point. I just don't like it when the storyboarders get lazy and insist Superman likes to block punches and blasts from guys who he knows can hurt him with his face.
    Why do people always think its about martial arts? The guys movement is **** for even normal person. let alone an alien with glowing white, red eyes. I have brought action sequences and movemnts of character with no martial background. Those hurricane punches are good if there is a good follow up. There wasn't anything great about fight.darkseid basically takes superman by the neck. After which superman just basically throws darkseid back into the portal. Meanwhile, allmight suplexes his opponent after doing what superman did and then an arm drag. Finally, darkseid is also very much just a bruiser. As i said, superman doesn't have fights with opponents with variety of fightingstyles.Compare superman's movements to this.

Superman fights are worst. He is supposed to be the hero of action comics.There is no thought put into his action and movements.Even at the basic level.See, where i am coming from.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-30-2020 at 08:30 AM.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

He brawls. Clark uses his powers cleverly and can fight intelligently, but he's not trained.

You're obsessed with turning Superman into a shonen manga hero, dude. You're judging Superman on criteria he never was intended to be part of to begin with.

Yes, he's the lead of Action Comics. Action isn't just technical skill and never has been in Clark's case. All you do is compare Superman to characters you want him to be more like instead of considering that's just not who he is. He gets into fights and he grinds them out. While capable of finesse when needed, that's never been his approach. He brawls it out in a very large scale manner. Even in the golden age, he was a blunt object bludgeoning a problem into submission. I don't know why you're so preoccupied with trying to turn Superman into a generic anime protagonist.

He's not Wonder Woman, or Saitama, or Luffy or Goku. He's Superman, with all the virtues and vices of his character design and construct as a narrative device therein; warts and all.

Most importantly, Clark (and Diana, who fluctuates in potency way too often) doesn't get the benefit most anime protagonists have of having the entire universe revolve around their adventures helmed by the same writing staff.

He's part of a shared universe which means he needs clear strengths, weaknesses and limitations to allow him to win and lose fights all over the place. It's a completely different medium at this point.
    Last edited by Robanker; 06-30-2020 at 12:32 PM.

I think Superman should be a brawler, the writers just need to remember that not trained doesn't mean he don't know how to fight. A experienced Superman have fought the likes of Mongul, Zod, Metallo, Brainiac and other heavy weights that not just have the power but also the training. And he won.

BANNED

1: Superman has been a martial arts expert since the Silver Age, but for some reason all that knowledge and training is forgotten. 2: ww is their physical equal, but an expert in martial arts, magic weapons, without any weakness, so the excuse that they suppress need weaknesses, is just that an excuse. 3: kryptonite (and its thousand versions), magic, telepathy, red sun, I think they are too many weaknesses, to the point that I do not remember either in DC or Marvel a character with so many, not to mention his effectiveness.

"Martial arts" is just a shorthand expression I use for using really formal technique. I think having basic combat skill is enough: if a guy can hurt you, then dodge or block his punch; if the guy can't hurt you (because he's Superman), then tank it (or dodge it if you don't want the guy to shatter all the bones in his hand). And most punches are pulled, because a Superman haymaker is literally like an atomic bomb.

Many of the rules for good combat technique for us normal humans don't apply to Superman, so whatever fighting style he develops shouldn't look like what normal humans consider good technique.

If the animators and directors follow these basic principles, I'll be happy.

He brawls. Clark uses his powers cleverly and can fight intelligently, but he's not trained.

You're obsessed with turning Superman into a shonen manga hero, dude. You're judging Superman on criteria he never was intended to be part of to begin with.

Yes, he's the lead of Action Comics. Action isn't just technical skill and never has been in Clark's case. All you do is compare Superman to characters you want him to be more like instead of considering that's just not who he is. He gets into fights and he grinds them out. While capable of finesse when needed, that's never been his approach. He brawls it out in a very large scale manner. Even in the golden age, he was a blunt object bludgeoning a problem into submission. I don't know why you're so preoccupied with trying to turn Superman into a generic anime protagonist.

He's not Wonder Woman, or Saitama, or Luffy or Goku. He's Superman, with all the virtues and vices of his character design and construct as a narrative device therein; warts and all.

Most importantly, Clark (and Diana, who fluctuates in potency way too often) doesn't get the benefit most anime protagonists have of having the entire universe revolve around their adventures helmed by the same writing staff.

He's part of a shared universe which means he needs clear strengths, weaknesses and limitations to allow him to win and lose fights all over the place. It's a completely different medium at this point.
    Look mate, if action was some trivial thing for superman the goldenage wouldn't exist. Dude, what?? Goldenage guy was agile. Those comics have such a heavy sense of movement to it. It's very entertaining .Superman doesn't need to be shonen hero for appealing action sequences and imaginative movement. No, i compare him to other characters to know if the guy can hold up currently .having strengths, weakness.. Etc has nothing to do with fight choreography and visual presentations. He doesn't need to be saitama or luffy or goku. Who says he needs to? But, putting action in backburner is seriously messed up. What's the character for any ways? He doesn't have have any philosophical or ideological opponents to have any sort of good conflict . Doesn't much have personality. There isn't any fun,either.Superman books and humour don't have connection. What's he for? Preaching, platitudes and having naive conversations with his wife, ma and pa... Etc.if you think superman's powers and fightstyle shouldn't be attractive or presented in visually pleasing way for people. That's fine. I disagree. We can agree to disagree. Flying bricks are dime a dozen.
    Quote Originally Posted by DochaDocha View Post
    "Martial arts" is just a shorthand expression I use for using really formal technique. I think having basic combat skill is enough: if a guy can hurt you, then dodge or block his punch; if the guy can't hurt you (because he's Superman), then tank it (or dodge it if you don't want the guy to shatter all the bones in his hand). And most punches are pulled, because a Superman haymaker is literally like an atomic bomb.

Many of the rules for good combat technique for us normal humans don't apply to Superman, so whatever fighting style he develops shouldn't look like what normal humans consider good technique.

If the animators and directors follow these basic principles, I'll be happy.
    That's just unimaginative way of having a fight sequence. It's essentially a dance. If all the character does is whale around nobody is going to care for it. It doesn't look good and the guy is a bad dancer. There are thousands of flying bricks. Why should i read superman? i can put it like this. The hulk transformation,its a trivial and boring thing. Right? It is supposed to be scary. But, it isn't. So what did marvel do? They added body horror to it in immortal hulk. Now you have something Repulsive. Fine, he throws a bomb punch. Would it be visually pleasing? Would there be any tension, chance for back and forth? That's what matters. Entertainment.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 07-01-2020 at 07:32 AM.