Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Jim Lee does that so well, especially with Snyder. For Tomorrow looked about as good.

I spent a good bit of time this morning thinking about the battles that define his skill set. He probably wins by TKO or a Plan B more often than he fights to the finish. Of the KO wins, it's either swarming with several big and hard punches or biding his time for a quick one hit. His heralded powers set half of everyone up for a possum tactic.

Head on I guess it usually comes down to relatively powerful opponents. Romita though, I think broke the mold with his Year One fight against the soldiers on the beach.

I'll always wish Breyfogle got in because he was the best in comics.
    Lee's art is perfect for big sprawling action setpieces. He captured the scope of the Superman vs Wraith fight and For Tomorrow has some of the best looking Superman fights in comics.

Despite his immense power, Clark doesn't often win by punching the villain out, at least if they're a villain like Parasite or Metallo. I agree he has to be more creative in how he beats them. The most recent 'victory' I can think of where Superman punches the bad guy out would be The World Forger in Justice League #25. It was a hell of a punch too.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lvenger View Post
    It would be interesting if Clark used more wing chun or aikido techniques in his fights, but the fact is like Kuwagaton mentioned, Can I ask why you selected the Naruto/Sasuke vs Momoshiki fight from Boruto as an example of how Superman should fight? It's an interesting choice and I'm curious why you think this could fit Clark's style of combat.
    Well, for one superman is an alien.The character has senses that are basically like byakugan. He barely has blind spots. Him getting overwhelmed by his senses is more of a danger. Superman also likes to focus his senses and hone his attacks so that there is less damage to his surroundings . That's basically what the hyuga's are known for with their tenketsu strikes. I picked momoshiki cause a standard hyuga doesn't fly, have that level of speed or strength. Superman is sorta like an otsutsuki. Those attacks in new krypton were similar to palms strikes and wingchun punches used by these guys. I am fairly certain superman can use nerve strikes and attack weak points with precision with his senses. But, i would want the opponent to come back as well. It's a dance. you are only as strong as you partner. Also i would have added a couple of impact shockwaves, just for effect. Finally, superman largely likes to box, grapple, push.. Etc. Kicks, elbow strikes and knee strikes are less likely from the guy. So momoshiki or over powered hyuga fight movements make sense for superman to me. Also, superman can see aura and stuff with his eyes as well(birthright) . Essentially, superman's senses are very interesting to me.

BANNED

I dont know why something called naruto is being discussed
    It doesnt exist. Superman of all people should be not compared to such blashempy.

https://ibb.co/fxrCTdv

Quote Originally Posted by SpideyCeo View Post
    I dont know why something called naruto is being discussed
    It doesnt exist. Superman of all people should be not compared to such blashempy.

https://ibb.co/fxrCTdv
    Because it has one of the best battle choreography and close quarters combat in mainstream that can be easily recognisable . Superman's movements stinks. To put it bluntly.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-27-2020 at 11:01 PM.

Father Son Kamehameha < Kuwagaton's Avatar

Personally I couldn't sustain interest in Naruto after the timeskip. For all the good Kishimoto does and the embellishment brought from the audio and visuals of the anime, I still get more excited by seeing the action in a less repetitive context rendered in different styles.

There are other anime and manga series I like better than Superman in terms of action, but most of them are a bit harder to collect here, like FotNS
    Welcome or welcome back! Please check out the updated
    CBR Community STANDARDS & RULES

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Because it has one of the best battle choreography and close quarters combat in mainstream that can be easily recognisable . Superman's movements stinks. To put it bluntly.
    I think one explanation of this can be found in Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run. In one story, Dinah tells Diana that all the other heavy hitters only use their strength to beat their foes, they don't have to use any technique. Basically, the stronger you are, the less skill you need with some exceptions.

BANNED

no matter the experience, the training, the reality is that at the moment of truth superman will never be a fighter.
    Because for DC, Superman has to be limited in every way when it comes to combat.
    there is no technique, there are no weapons, there is no protection against weaknesses.
    WW is the warrior, Batman is omnipotent god, Superman is a village paleto who totally depends on his powers.
    that's why he is seen fighting and not just throwing punches randomly once every 10 years.

I think one explanation of this can be found in Gail Simone's Wonder Woman run. In one story, Dinah tells Diana that all the other heavy hitters only use their strength to beat their foes, they don't have to use any technique. Basically, the stronger you are, the less skill you need with some exceptions.
    Sure, but even then superman bouts feel uninspiring. If we are talking power,look at one punch man. They made one punch man's lack of skill into dynamic movements. its visually pleasing and entertaining. If we are looking at the big three(spiderman and batman). superman has the worst movements. I had said this in another thread. Spidey moves like acrobatic creepy crawler. Batman moves like a shadow bat creature ninja. Superman he whales around like brick and the flight is done in the most uninspiring ways as well. How is that going to help people think the character is cool?
    Quote Originally Posted by NaVi View Post
    no matter the experience, the training, the reality is that at the moment of truth superman will never be a fighter.
    Because for DC, Superman has to be limited in every way when it comes to combat.
    there is no technique, there are no weapons, there is no protection against weaknesses.
    WW is the warrior, Batman is omnipotent god, Superman is a village paleto who totally depends on his powers.
    that's why he is seen fighting and not just throwing punches randomly once every 10 years.
    Yeah! This the general attitude with which superman fights are dealt with. It's a shame really. Th goldenage age superman comics really had some great movements.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kuwagaton View Post
    Personally I couldn't sustain interest in Naruto after the timeskip. For all the good Kishimoto does and the embellishment brought from the audio and visuals of the anime, I still get more excited by seeing the action in a less repetitive context rendered in different styles.

There are other anime and manga series I like better than Superman in terms of action, but most of them are a bit harder to collect here, like FotNS
    Shippuden wasn't as great as naruto for many. But, we aren't talking about story. We are talking abut set pieces and movements. Naruto never let that slip, even with the bad animation of studio perriot. There wer some great hand to hand look at kakashi vs obito or sasuke vs naruto. In the big 3(naruto, one piece and bleach) naruto has the best movements, strategy and hand to hand. Hxh ofcourse also has some great set pieces. But, regardless superman books in general never tries to put effort into action set pieces. They are always an afterthought. Suffice to say in terms of action, superman can't compare to anything. Heck! Even dragon ball has better hand to hand. When most of the time dragon ball just repeats this.

If superman can't beat this slapfest. The writers and artists needs recheck the priority. frankly, uperman being an action character that doesn't take presenting action seriously is bizarre to me.They should atleast make action comics be about, action you know.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-29-2020 at 08:32 AM.

Astonishing Member

Death of Superman animation had the best fight imo,that was a real ass whoopin.I'd love to see a redone or re-narrated fight of Superman against say Ultraman or even an evil Flash in the DCAU new continuity.I expect the Lobo fight in MoT to be good though

People can say whatever they want about MoS, but all Superman fights were great on that movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    Death of Superman animation had the best fight imo,that was a real ass whoopin.I'd love to see a redone or re-narrated fight of Superman against say Ultraman or even an evil Flash in the DCAU new continuity.I expect the Lobo fight in MoT to be good though
    It was decent at best. It wasn't really showing anything unique visually . it was just a brawl between bruisers. There was no contrast. As much as that is needed. Superman currently doesn't have wide variety of matchups with oppenents that have different kinds of fightstyle, to have brawls be their to contrast. From dc, the best hand to hand with superman was from shazam/superman movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Ra-El View Post
    People can say whatever they want about MoS, but all Superman fights were great on that movie.
    Yes, man of steel did treat its set pieces with importance. But still, superman was just a brawler who whaled around.On top of that, there wasn't action sequence had pacing issues. it being cgi fest with destruction, removed some human element from the fight. The also has the same problem. With all the technical training zod has, he came off as a bruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Sure, but even then superman bouts feel uninspiring. If we are talking power,look at one punch man. They made one punch man's lack of skill into dynamic movements. its visually pleasing and entertaining. If we are looking at the big three(spiderman and batman). superman has the worst movements. I had said this in another thread. Spidey moves like acrobatic creepy crawler. Batman moves like a shadow bat creature ninja. Superman he whales around like brick and the flight is done in the most uninspiring ways as well. How is that going to help people think the character is cool?
    One Punch Man's fight scenes are incredibly visceral and jaw dropping for sure. That's mostly due to Yusuke Murata's god tier drawing and the murderer's row of animators brought on to animate Season 1 of One Punch Man. Very few in the West can match that level of talent. The closest current comic book artists whose sense of dynamism comes close are the likes of Jorge Jiminez, Ivan Reis or Lenil Yu.

One Punch Man's fight scenes are incredibly visceral and jaw dropping for sure. That's mostly due to Yusuke Murata's god tier drawing and the murderer's row of animators brought on to animate Season 1 of One Punch Man. Very few in the West can match that level of talent. The closest current comic book artists whose sense of dynamism comes close are the likes of Jorge Jiminez, Ivan Reis or Lenil Yu.
    Murata himself draws sequence of panels like an animator,which is mind boggling.Even in second season without the god tier animation,One punch man's movements from the manga is very fleshed out. That shiryu fight with saitama is an example,saitama spinning hip thrust is legendary. But, i do agree jorge jimenez does do some great work. Jon's movements were far more pleasing in supersons. Even after he started flying. It never felt like the kid took a pose and went "up, up and away". The kid always felt more like levitating or swimming in the air.

Incredible Member

best fight scene - death by ramming oneself into superman's butt. lol

Quote Originally Posted by marshal88 View Post
    best fight scene - death by ramming oneself into superman's butt. lol

Funny, but as said before running into brick wall is done better by one punch man.

A good gag, but that's not enough.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 06-29-2020 at 10:52 PM.