View Poll Results: What’s your final prognosis of Rey’s parentage and the Skywalkers?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rey should have been introduced as a Skywalker in TFA, but afterwards would have been too late.

3 8.57%
  • Rey should have been revealed as a Skywalker in TLJ, but not afterward.

6 17.14%
  • Rey could have been retconned into a Skywalker even in TROS, even at the cost of discounting TLJ.

7 20.00%
  • Rey Random was always the best idea for the character in the end.

16 45.71%
  • Rey’s story in TROS regarding her parentage and the Skywalkers was good enough.

3 8.57%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by H-E-D View Post
    I think the problem was that JJ thought he was respecting the OT heroes. In his mind, have Han Solo showing up as a lowlife pilot was respecting the character, because his memory of Han was from his first appearance. Recreating that, to the TFA team, was the way to be respectful. I'm not even sure they were consciously aware they were discarding significant character growth. Which, of course, they were. But I have a feeling that they didn't grasp that Han had evolved as a character by the time of RotJ.
    This is almost certainly true. That failure to grasp character growth in order to try and "reset" everything, in my view, doomed the sequels right from the start.
    Age of Marvels and DC Next Dawn - Monthly Fan Made Solicitation Competitions on these very forums, make your pulls now! Want back story? Check the Wiki!

BANNED

Rey being a Palpatine was apparent from the moment they revealed that Kylo was a Skywalker. It was always going to come down to Skywalker and Palpatine.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Rey being a Palpatine was apparent from the moment they revealed that Kylo was a Skywalker. It was always going to come down to Skywalker and Palpatine.
    That kind of argument about it being “obvious” requires noting that both TFA and TLJ are utterly trash at setting that up and undermine that idea as hard as possible...and would thus require saying that they managed to so horribly misalign and undermine each other *and* TROS while theoretically knowing what they were doing.

Frankly, if that was the bjg I really plan, than Snoke was a superfluous waste of time where either Plapatine himself or a simple anonymous leader would do better, Finn shouldn’t exist because that would distract from a clear place for “the Skywalker of the story“, TFA making Kylo such a shallow and loathsome piece of **** and TLJ acing like he wasn’t without contributing anything to him would be hilarious failure without that character role, and Rey’s schizophrenic writing would be the result of the greatest failure to collaborate on a fairly simple and derivative formula that everyone knows.

In this Morton’s Fork of why the story doesn’t hold together, everyone having different or unclear and dis-unified vision of the character at least acts as a more sensible explanation for the failures and contradictions than them somehow knowing their game plan and failing at it.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

They should have just introduced her as Rey Palpatine-Hutt-Yoda-Chewbacca-Calrissian-Solo-Vader-Tarkin-Organa-Fett-Greedo-Jawa-R2D2C3PO-Skywalker from the get-go. LOL

All kidding aside, introducing her as a legitimate Skywalker in TFA would have been better than her just up and jacking the Skywalker name when it isn't even hers.
    Black Panther - Champion of Bast
    Vixen - Champion of Anansi

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Its incredibly unlikely it was even on their mind at that early a stage. The decision to even bring Palpatine into the equation at all was as 11th hour as the decision to make Rey related to him.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    Its incredibly unlikely it was even on their mind at that early a stage. The decision to even bring Palpatine into the equation at all was as 11th hour as the decision to make Rey related to him.
    Palpatine was always planned to make a comeback during the ST, according to JJ Abrams. Obviously not for TFA, but it was planned fairly early on.

https://collider.com/j-j-abrams-says...force-awakens/

Not that I'm particularly fond of the idea in general, let alone in execution. As it basically makes Return of the Jedi and the rest of the non-ST films rather pointless.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    Palpatine was always planned to make a comeback during the ST, according to JJ Abrams. Obviously not for TFA, but it was planned fairly early on.

Not that I'm particularly fond of the idea in general, let alone in execution. As it basically makes Return of the Jedi and the rest of the non-ST films rather pointless.
    There’s a some ambiguity about that in both the way Abrams phrased it, in the way Chris Terio testified it was the result of LFL wanting a non-Kylo Big Bad present to facilitate Ben Solo’s redemption, and the way TFA and TLJ unfolded while Colin Trevorrow’s Duel of the Fates script has Kylo as the main villain.

To be honest, given the way Abrams spoke in that article, I’m inclined to think that’s spin - much like his other comments on the films. If he wanted Palpatine back, he wouldn’t have made Snoke... much like how I think if he knew that Kylo was going to be the only Skywalker, it’s likely Finn wouldn’t exist and Kylo wouldn’t be nearly so loathsome.

I tend to think that TFA’s genesis pretty much hard to be from a plotline where Rey was a Skywalker/Solo in the beginning, before Abrams chose to introduce a mystery box for dubious reasons, and before LFL dropped the ball by moving away from that... and that the genesis having Rey be related to the Skywalkers is part of the reason TFA holds together better than the other two films - it’s the only one not infatuated with the Neo-Nazi that is Kylo, and it has the best male lead because Finn works better as Rey’s companion and co-protagonist than Sad!Luke or, again, the Neo-Nazi.
    Like action, adventure, rogues, and outlaws? Like anti-heroes, femme fatales, mysteries and thrillers?

I wrote a book with them. Outlaw’s Shadow: A Sherwood Noir. Robin Hood’s evil counterpart, Guy of Gisbourne, is the main character. Feel free to give it a look: https://read.amazon.com/kp/embed?asi...E2PKBNJFH76GQP

Hmm...not sure I buy that, but at the same time I hadn't even seen the claim before, so thanks.
    "They can be a great people Kal-El, they wish to be. They only lack the light to show the way. For this reason above all, their capacity for good, I have sent them you. My only son." - Jor-El

I’m going to go on record and say BS that it was planned early on.

I was hoping she was going to be a Kenobi.
    AKA FlashFreak
    Favorite Characters:
    DC: The Flash (Jay & Wally), Starman- Jack Knight, Stargirl, & Shazam!.
    MARVEL: Daredevil, Spider-Man (Peter Parker), & Doctor Strange.

Current Pulls: Not a thing!

Palpatine was always planned to make a comeback during the ST, according to JJ Abrams.
    Quote Originally Posted by godisawesome View Post
    Colin Trevorrow’s Duel of the Fates script has Kylo as the main villain.
    As Palpatine was not in Trevorrow's screen play I'm thinking that it was not "always" planned. As there was really no clue about him in the first 2 movies and bam he is reintroduced by the freaking opening craw of the 3rd. If it was planned it was the worst delivery in the history of movies.
    Last edited by Moon Ronin; 05-26-2020 at 09:24 AM.
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Extraordinary Member

To answer the OP, quite simply no.

Nahhh.

I never had an interest in Rey being a kenobi, palpatine, erso, solo or bridger etc. I'm cool with her just being Rey Random.

Extraordinary Member

Well, here’s a question: if you like Rey Random, what’s the best movie for that in the ST? Because I’ll be blunt, I think TLJ makes a horrible movie for her, period, but especially when trying to argue that she’s cool not being a Skywalker, since their story supersedes and overwhelms her and her characterization.

Rey Skywalker is for the best. Can you imagine what name Rey would have come up with If she didn't use that one?

Old woman: Who are you?

Rey: Rey

Old woman: Rey who?

Rey: Rey Picard Potter Bourne Connor Hunt Ripley Django Spengler Shaft Bond Frankenstein.
    "The Marvel EIC Chair has a certain curse that goes along with it: it tends to drive people insane, and ultimately, out of the business altogether. It is the notorious last stop for many staffers, as once you've sat in The Big Chair, your pariah status is usually locked in." Christopher Priest