Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default SuperMan/Wonder Woman 11: Is it worth a review?

Spoilers ahead....
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Well, not really, just another disappointing issue. This issue should have been called: Superman/Martian Manhunter. He steals the show.
    Diana only appears at the end. Another issue in which she's almost a guest star and almost useless.

WTH are you doing DC COMICS???
    Last edited by enish; 08-13-2014 at 05:45 AM.

Wonder Woman is outclassed by Superman and MMH. She just can't keep up.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by enish View Post
    Spoilers ahead....
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -
    -

Well, not really, just another disappointing issue. This issue should have been called: Superman/Martian Manhunter. He steals the show.
    Diana only appears at the end. Another issue in which she's almost a guest star and almost useless.

WTH are you doing DC COMICS???

Someone else steals the show, Diana only appears for a short bit, and comes across as a guest-star in a book with her name in the title? And people say that other writers aren't following Azzarello's lead.

At least in Soule's defense, this is part of a Superman Family crossover event.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

This moves the pieces along and got several cliffhangers for some characters. Including Clark by himself and Diana by herself. It hasn't really given WW any greater focus but when she is in it, she gets some good lines in and what she does is ballsy...but the issue ends so quickly to get great satisfaction...one has to wait now for the payoff. Issue seems to fly by so fast. I like the art.

I don't think Martian Manhunter stole any show to be honest. He simply got page time. Cyborg and Steel and Lana were in it too and they didn't steal anything either. This issue seemed more like transitory in that by itself it feels like part of something bridging another...typical cross over. I think what's hurts these last 4 chaps for Diana is that she has been limited page time in all 4 while other people get their moments. Unless she does something really standout in the next two chaps well, then one can say the outstanding WW moments in this crossover was in Doomed #1 and SM/WW #8 and that BM/SM tie in. It seems this title gets the one to be the one to sacrifice page time for one of its headlining character while Action did not. Action got to showcase the SM cast and feature the threads it played with while SM/WW got pulled to facilitate the crossover.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    Someone else steals the show, Diana only appears for a short bit, and comes across as a guest-star in a book with her name in the title? And people say that other writers aren't following Azzarello's lead.

At least in Soule's defense, this is part of a Superman Family crossover event.
    I recall people counting pages Diana was featured on in Azzarello's for quite a while. But still acknowledging it moved story along or developed other supporting characters. Not that I am defending lack of Diana...I'd love to see more...but some seem to give one book a pass for doing what they complain of and moan in another book. Ironic.

Extraordinary Member

I'm not checking out the spoilers [thanks for moving them downpage ] but if the question in the title is a serious one then I can only imagine how the Doom storyline is treating our girl.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by hellacre View Post
    I recall people counting pages Diana was featured on in Azzarello's for quite a while. But still acknowledging it moved story along or developed other supporting characters. Not that I am defending lack of Diana...I'd love to see more...but some seem to give one book a pass for doing what they complain of and moan in another book. Ironic.

I'm not thrilled that Diana didn't appear more in this issue but we're on issue #11 and this is the 1st time she's been minimized in this book plus like I said earlier, this issue is part of a Superman Family crossover event so it makes sense that there's guest-stars. Now if this starts becoming a semi-frequent thing, I'll probably drop this title like I did Azzarello's book.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

The difference between this book and Azzarello's is that Diana presence there was felt, her action mattered. In SM/WW she doesn't.
    "It is the dawn that brings the pain, the night that brings the dream."

"Come find me when you wake up."

I haven't read the issue yet, anyway page counts isn't everything. Even when she doesn't appear in her solo title, everything is related to her. Her villains, characters with whom she has interacted and that she has changed, characters who talk about her and that plan things which will involve her, and so she is always at the center of the story. The same happened in the issue of Superman/Batman that was part of this crossover. Superman didn't appear in any page, and yet everything involved him. The characters talked about him comstantly, met his villains, ecc... as a result you get that this was a Superman's book.

You can't say the same things in this case. Of course this is a superman's crossover so he is at the center...but at least you have to give her some space in a title she shares..., otherwise you develop your story in other books...no need to have it done in Superman/Wonder Woman if the story doesn't involve one of the two characters, or if it gives only a minor role to one. Anyway, I'll stop here for now since I haven't read this issue yet.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

Fantastic Member butterfingers158's Avatar

This issue set her up to do some cool stuff in the next doomed issue (Supergirl I think?)

I won't spoil it for the moment.

It makes sense to have guest stars such as Hawkman and Martian Manhunter and the entire Justice League being more proeminent than the co-star of the book, just because it's a Superman crossover?

This book has been about Superman world from the start, now it has only become even more centered on him.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackFeath View Post
    I haven't read the issue yet, anyway page counts isn't everything. Even when she doesn't appear in her solo title, everything is related to her. Her villains, characters with whom she has interacted and that she has changed, characters who talk about her and that plan things which will involve her, and so she is always at the center of the story. The same happened in the issue of Superman/Batman that was part of this crossover. Superman didn't appear in any page, and yet everything involved him. The characters talked about him comstantly, met his villains, ecc... as a result you get that this was a Superman's book.

You can't say the same things in this case. Of course this is a superman's crossover so he is at the center...but at least you have to give her some space in a title she shares..., otherwise you develop your story in other books...no need to have it done in Superman/Wonder Woman if the story doesn't involve one of the two characters, or if it gives only a minor role to one. Anyway, I'll stop here for now since I haven't read this issue yet.
    Exactly. She didn't even need to show up more, but the only thing that is about her in this crossover is how she feels about Superman being Doomed and trying to save him. And now it seems it doesn't even matter anymore, as everybody is trying to save him.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SofNascimento View Post
    Wonder Woman is outclassed by Superman and MMH. She just can't keep up.
    just another day on WW life and WW fans life...
    Last edited by Blacksun; 08-13-2014 at 06:52 AM.

Read it now. Honestly, maybe it is because I expected worse, but it wasn't that bad. Yeah, she didn’t appear in the first part of the issue, but in the second she did, and in that part, even if she hasn't done much yet, she prepared herself to do something that it seems we will see in the future issues of the crossover, and that may be important for victory spoilers:
    and we may see her finally using her powers of god of war...with warworld! Really...from the preview I couldn’t understand why they put in Mongul and Non to then make them escape... I was not expecting Diana to go in the phantom zone searching for them!
    end of spoilers. Also there were some interesting lines about Clark and Diana's relationship and spoilers:
    putting the world first
    end of spoilers.
    All in all, for this second part and for Diana's characterization, I found this issue not bad. It was surely a better issue than # 10 and the annual, and even if she appeared in few pages, she didn't seem a guest star in this, not like in the others. She has a plan.
    Last edited by BlackFeath; 08-13-2014 at 07:09 AM.
    "Sometimes, it's best not to be who we are...but who we aspire to be". (Wonder Woman, Wonder Woman #23)

I expected something way better than the Annual, and then...bam.

And the inconsistencies in the art...dang, how can they? lol WW's belt changes form from one panel to the other, and not mentioning her hair, they keep flowing in the air while she's standing, and so does her lasso like it was just a piece of tissue, does she have a wonder fart or something?

I'm disappointed, because we've got two issues in a row in which Wonder Woman doesn't do much, it's all for Superman and the others to shine in her stead.