Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

If you're going with the government instead of medical experts, you are definitely wrong.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    If you're going with the government instead of medical experts, you are definitely wrong.
    In Canada the medical experts dictated our response.

We are Canadians. Not science hating Republican idiots.

An international organization ranks Canada’s response to the COVID-19 pandemic among the Top 15 in the world, with the United States coming in 70th place.

Deep Knowledge Group, which describes itself as a “consortium of commercial and non-profit organizations active on many fronts,” assessed the respective COVID-19 responses of more than 150 countries along 78 parameters, including the number of confirmed cases and deaths, geography and demographics, hospital capacity, medical expertise, and emergency planning.
    Last edited by Menacer; 05-24-2020 at 06:08 PM.

Amazing Member

Okay, so the consensus is that this movie is not going to open on time, then?

I was reading a bit, and some movie site pointed out that Christopher Nolan wanted the movie to open that weekend because that is the weekend that his last four movies opened.

Which I get, I guess. If it ain't broke, why fix it. That sort of thing.

But at the same time, it seems like a really silly reason to want to do it in the midst of *flails arms all around* all of this.

So, I dunno.

But I'm still betting on it not opening on time.

Which is fine by me.

To paraphrase something I heard someone say earlier today, I can come back to the theater.

I can't come back from the morgue.

I read that unless they can open in 3,500 theaters they will delay.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Amazing Member

I read 80% of theaters will have to be open. That's probably 3500. But I dunno.

And even if they do open, are those requirement statistics factoring in social distancing?

If 80% of theaters open, and there's only 10 people (or however many) in each theater, that's not going to add up to too much cash for opening weekend.

Which (I imagine) would only compound the problems for future movies opening.

Tenet doesn't make much money. That becomes the news story.

People read that story. *Then* they see Mulan is coming out.

You think folks will want to go out after hearing about "Tenet" tanking ("tanking" in this case being "not working in current conditions")?

I doubt it.

It'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    I read that unless they can open in 3,500 theaters they will delay.
    Last edited by willtupper; 05-24-2020 at 09:19 PM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    I read 80% of theaters will have to be open. That's probably 3500. But I dunno.

And even if they do open, are those requirement statistics factoring in social distancing?

If 80% of theaters open, and there's only 10 people (or however many) in each theater, that's not going to add up to too much cash for opening weekend.

Which (I imagine) would only compound the problems for future movies opening.

Tenet doesn't make much money. That becomes the news story.

People read that story. *Then* they see Mulan is coming out.

You think folks will want to go out after hearing about "Tenet" tanking ("tanking" in this case being "not working in current conditions")?

I doubt it.

It'll become a self-fulfilling prophecy.
    I think Mulan would be a better movie to test the market with. It will bring a much wider audience out then a Nolan film but yea Disney ain't going first with one of they're films that prior to this was almost guaranteed to be 1bil+. Maybe Netflix should put Da 5 bloods out in theaters first just to test the waters before it hits Netflix. With everything being delayed it would probably guarantee Spike Lee an Oscar.... if they don't cancel the oscars. Could be a win win. Theaters can use it as a test run while Netflix gets there Oscar requirements checked and makes a little extra cash before putting it on netflix. Doubt any of this happens, just spitballing.

I am 1000% not going to the theater to see a movie I know will just be on Netflix in a month. Like, one shitzillion percent not doing that.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I am 1000% not going to the theater to see a movie I know will just be on Netflix in a month. Like, one shitzillion percent not doing that.
    Some things are streaming faster. But even 6 or 9 months, I agree. Would love to see this in the theaters, but not worth the risk right now.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

I’m not going to a theater (or anywhere remotely crowded) until at least next Spring/Summer. There will most likely be a resurgence of COVID in the Fall unless some miracle vaccine is found.

It’s sounding like Godzilla vs Kong will get pushed back to possibly May. The kids books, photo gallery books, and monster guides which were supposed to be released when the movie came out in November have a new release date of May 2021.
    Last edited by Robotman; 05-25-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I think Mulan would be a better movie to test the market with. It will bring a much wider audience out then a Nolan film but yea Disney ain't going first with one of they're films that prior to this was almost guaranteed to be 1bil+. Maybe Netflix should put Da 5 bloods out in theaters first just to test the waters before it hits Netflix. With everything being delayed it would probably guarantee Spike Lee an Oscar.... if they don't cancel the oscars. Could be a win win. Theaters can use it as a test run while Netflix gets there Oscar requirements checked and makes a little extra cash before putting it on netflix. Doubt any of this happens, just spitballing.
    Theaters want to test the waters with Unhinged, where Russell Crowe has a bad day and psycho chases after a mother who flips him off in traffic, like he was Alex Jones after being banned from the last protesting site on Earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    I’m not going to a theater (or anywhere remotely crowded) until at least next Spring/Summer. There will most likely be a resurgence of COVID in the Fall unless some miracle vaccine is found.

It’s sounding like Godzilla vs Kong will get pushed back to possibly May. The kids books, photo gallery books, and monster guides which were supposed to be released when the movie came out in November have a new release date of May 2021.
    That's the ONE I was looking forward to this year. That hurts but I get it.