Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    There is NOTHING that would get me to go or let my kids go to the movies. Concerts, amusement parks, planes & those things are dead to me.
    I'm basically not going anywhere I don't have to for a long time. Which is fine with me.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm basically not going anywhere I don't have to for a long time. Which is fine with me.
    Same. Although I did order the new Batman Giant curbside from my local comic book store today.

And it felt so good. My first comic book purchase in months.

But I don't plan to make a habit of it. I'd rather stay in, stay safe, stay alive.

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    It really depends where you live.

Vancouver Island Bc has 800,000+ people
    Is larger then cuba

Bc itself is larger then most countries and has around 2 million pop

Has only had 2500 cases
    2000 recovered

460 active
    And
    146 dead ... 95.5% of those in there 80s

In BC we responded quickly with the lockdown and i wouldn't hesitate to go to movies, restaurants, etc etc

But of course it depends on ur age and where you live.

Globally almost zero children have died...

Swine flu, h1n1 was far far far far far more deadly to the young and infected 1.4 billion and killed 500,000

No one batted an eye at that time and young people died enmass...

Covid is ultimately more dangerous and spreads faster...

But those below 40 have a fatality of about .2

Common flu is .1

So to young people its as dangerous as the common flu
    This attitude is part of the problem.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    It's all of the problem.

^^Agreed. It ignores how the virus spreads, and focuses on who will POSSIBLY not be effected.

Notice how the thread just stopped after that post? Haha.

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    Same. Although I did order the new Batman Giant curbside from my local comic book store today.

And it felt so good. My first comic book purchase in months.

But I don't plan to make a habit of it. I'd rather stay in, stay safe, stay alive.
    Eh, you're most likely just fine doing that as long as precautions are being taken on both ends of the transaction.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    This better be one damn good movie! They're even moving WW 84 up if it doesn't do well.
    It seems industry insiders weighing the reopening and stuff already saw it and thought it's pretty good for the job.

The studio trusted Nolan enough to give him 200 million to make it, after all.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    It seems industry insiders weighing the reopening and stuff already saw it and thought it's pretty good for the job.

The studio trusted Nolan enough to give him 200 million to make it, after all.
    That's a sure sign of corporate competence

The guy has never had a flop. If there's such a thing as a sure bet, Nolan is on the list.

I always always always go to the theatre for his movies. I think he really earns the theatrical experience. I will be skipping this one.

Quote Originally Posted by GozertheGozarian View Post
    Excuse me?
    How am I part of the problem?
    My PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT has OPENED

MASSIVE MASSIVE number of businesses...

That is there choice

Not mine

They obviously have weighed the risk verse the necessity to quarantine.

Salons are open, the stylist wear masks the customer wears masks.

Restuarants are open

Pubs are open

My gym opens monday

Etc
    Etc

How dare you claim I'm the 'problem'

I have worked full time and taken buses and cabs and ive followed the general guidelines.

Juat cause your region is rot with infection and death doesn't mean this province. BRITISH Columbia Canada cant go about restarting the economy.

In 6 months 146 died in BC. Thats nearly non existent...

Im not saying this thing isnt dangerous or doesnt spread. But life must go on

https://fullfact.org/online/coronavirus-daily-deaths/

I realize a rapidly infecting respiratory condition isnt compared to all these things. But ultimately 96% of people will recover from the infection.

Take a minute and read that link.

Keep in mind we have less then 300,000 deaths globally from covid so far

But, the post overstates the number of people who died by suicide. The WHO estimated there were 800,000 people who died by suicide in 2018

How about sti's?
    I use condoms

How about u?

STIs have a profound impact on sexual and reproductive health worldwide. More than 1 million STIs are acquired every day. In 2016, WHO estimated 376 million new infections with 1 of 4 STIs: chlamydia (127 million), gonorrhoea (87 million), syphilis (6.3 million) and trichomoniasis (156 million)
    Last edited by Menacer; 05-23-2020 at 10:27 PM.

Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Look, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks individually or how many false equivalencies people post.

No one is going to open a $200 million blockbuster for a handful of people. The world, especially US and China need to be open and ready. 40% of people who live the US are over 65 or have a pre-existing condition that puts them at risk and the rest of us come in close contact with someone who does. I’m not one of the ones with an issue but I live with someone with COPD and work with people with diabetes, HIV, etc. Even if 30% of the population doesn’t care about catching and spreading it, that’s still too small to waste a blockbuster. They need sell outs, people buying food, drinks, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    Look, it doesn’t matter what anyone thinks individually or how many false equivalencies people post.
    Thats exactly my point. My opinion isnt my opinion. It is the many governments of the worlds opinion hence why globally the economy and business are reopening.

You have to compare Covid to something...

How about spanish flu? Yes it was a different time but they also practiced social distancing and quarantining and stagering business hours.

The Spanish flu, also known as the 1918 flu pandemic, was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic caused by the H1N1 influenza A virus. Lasting about 15 months from spring 1918 (northern hemisphere) to early summer 1919,[2][3] it infected 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time.[4] The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest pandemics in human history...

Fact is these are all the things governments, doctors etc. Take into consideration...

Yes covid has been dangerous. Yes lockdowns were important.

But many many of the crazy predictions on how deadly this would be absolutely did not come true.

Ultimately I'm aligned with my local governments views.

Not some individual like you.

If 400 people in bc are infected over literally thousands and thousands of square miles and the government is reopening my gym, I'm going as are many others.

My gf hair salon opened on last tuesday... she has been booked 14 houre a day every day this whole week... and is booked solid for over a month. I'm talking over 2000$ income per week for her. 8000 over the next 30 days.

She wears gloves, mask, and everything is cleaned. Client wears mask.

Pubs and restaurants are open. The theaters will be soon too.

This is the GOVERNMENTS plan.

Not mine.

Not your individual opinion.

We literally have dozens of pandemics to compare covid too.

Is every comparison perfect? No of course not, but it does give us an idea.

When Canada shut down in march we had 15 million people working.

Over night 7 million lost there jobs.

8 million continued to work. Loads from home.

1.2 million work in construction. I work construction.

More or less it was business as usual.

As for when a major blockbuster should open in theaters...

I never gave an opinion on that..

But the economy does need to restart here in canada cause covid was managed correctly.

Usa may be a way different story, you guys from the look of things may not have managed it as well as many other countries did.

Thats exactly my point. My opinion isnt my opinion. It is the many governments of the worlds opinion hence why globally the economy and business are reopening.

You have to compare Covid to something...

How about spanish flu? Yes it was a different time but they also practiced social distancing and quarantining and stagering business hours.

The Spanish flu, also known as the 1918 flu pandemic, was an unusually deadly influenza pandemic caused by the H1N1 influenza A virus. Lasting about 15 months from spring 1918 (northern hemisphere) to early summer 1919,[2][3] it infected 500 million people – about a third of the world's population at the time.[4] The death toll is estimated to have been anywhere from 17 million to 50 million, and possibly as high as 100 million, making it one of the deadliest pandemics in human history...

Fact is these are all the things governments, doctors etc. Take into consideration...

Yes covid has been dangerous. Yes lockdowns were important.

But many many of the crazy predictions on how deadly this would be absolutely did not come true.

Ultimately I'm aligned with my local governments views.

Not some individual like you.

If 400 people in bc are infected over literally thousands and thousands of square miles and the government is reopening my gym, I'm going as are many others.

My gf hair salon opened on last tuesday... she has been booked 14 houre a day every day this whole week... and is booked solid for over a month. I'm talking over 2000$ income per week for her. 8000 over the next 30 days.

She wears gloves, mask, and everything is cleaned. Client wears mask.

Pubs and restaurants are open. The theaters will be soon too.

This is the GOVERNMENTS plan.

Not mine.

Not your individual opinion.

We literally have dozens of pandemics to compare covid too.

Is every comparison perfect? No of course not, but it does give us an idea.

When Canada shut down in march we had 15 million people working.

Over night 7 million lost there jobs.

8 million continued to work. Loads from home.

1.2 million work in construction. I work construction.

More or less it was business as usual.

As for when a major blockbuster should open in theaters...

I never gave an opinion on that..

But the economy does need to restart here in canada cause covid was managed correctly.

Usa may be a way different story, you guys from the look of things may not have managed it as well as many other countries did.
    I'm not quite sure what your point is, especially relative to the topic at hand of when movie theaters should re-open. Yes, the US has mismanaged this crisis. And a film that requires 200 million box office needs to be successful in the US to achieve that. Due to our mismanagement, movies are unlikely to be successful in the US and therefore the film won't make what it needs to if it's release isn't pushed back until the US has a better handle on this pandemic. Which, based on the way loads of people are gathering unmasked in large groups this holiday weekend, doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. You note that your girlfriend is wearing a mask while working and disinfecting her station between customers. A good portion of the US population willfully disregards any guidelines to wear masks, because freedom or something.

If movie studios think they can do OK financially based on box office outside of the US, then fine they should go ahead and release the movie. But if they are relying on US box office, they may be in for a surprise - for every idiot who refuses to wear a mask, there are others who aren't going anywhere with a large gathering of people unless its essential (you may note that there are people in this thread saying as much). Hard to see how it makes sense to release a big budget movie under these conditions.
    Last edited by basbash99; 05-24-2020 at 01:28 PM.

BANNED

Excuse me?
    How am I part of the problem?
    My PROVINCIAL GOVERNMENT has OPENED
    How dare you claim I'm the 'problem'
    I believe he said that your attitude is part of the problem, not you. I said that your attitude is the entirety of the problem, and so it is.

My provisional government (state government) has opened too. Even though my state has not begun to reach the peak of the pandemic and is all but certain to lead to hundreds if not thousands of deaths.

Forgive me for suggesting that an attitude of "it's all right to live life like before because I'm in a low profile area and the government says it's ok" is a problem. No, don't forgive me. Just reflect on what you are really suggesting. Think about other people Think about being kind and respectful of life.

Quote Originally Posted by basbash99 View Post
    I'm not quite sure what your point is, especially relative to the topic at hand of when movie theaters should re-open. Yes, the US has mismanaged this crisis. And a film that requires 200 million box office needs to be successful in the US to achieve that. Due to our mismanagement, movies are unlikely to be successful in the US and therefore the film won't make what it needs to if it's release isn't pushed back until the US has a better handle on this pandemic. Which, based on the way loads of people are gathering unmasked in large groups this holiday weekend, doesn't seem like it will happen anytime soon. You note that your girlfriend is wearing a mask while working and disinfecting her station between customers. A good portion of the US population willfully disregards any guidelines to wear masks, because freedom or something.

If movie studios think they can do OK financially based on box office outside of the US, then fine they should go ahead and release the movie. But if they are relying on US box office, they may be in for a surprise - for every idiot who refuses to wear a mask, there are others who aren't going anywhere with a large gathering of people unless its essential (you may note that there are people in this thread saying as much). Hard to see how it makes sense to release a big budget movie under these conditions.
    Well if your unwilling to read my past posts then your missing all the context.

The orginal post was a response to a member saying he'd never go to a movie theater or public place until a vaccine exist.

I then begin my response from there.

If i was foreced to summaries all my posts thus far it would be something like

Vaccine may not come for years, nor be effective even when it does arrive.

Its ultimately a region by region situation. If your in an area with low number of active cases the risk is low.

Age is a factor, if your young this is only marginally more dangerous then past pandemics and less dangerous then others

I then supply various comparisons to other deadly illnesses, diseases etc.

For example billions of people have unprotected sex. Ie no condoms even tho there are hordes and hordes of STIs far deadlier and more life destructive then covid flu.

As far as directly commenting on when theaters should open. I only said local government should decide.

As far as a release of a major blockbuster. I never commented on that

The original comment was directed at a specific post.

I only made maybe 4 or 5 coments in the thread.

Feel free to read them before responding to me

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    I believe he said that your attitude is part of the problem, not you. I said that your attitude is the entirety of the problem, and so it is.

My provisional government (state government) has opened too. Even though my state has not begun to reach the peak of the pandemic and is all but certain to lead to hundreds if not thousands of deaths.

Forgive me for suggesting that an attitude of "it's all right to live life like before because I'm in a low profile area and the government says it's ok" is a problem. No, don't forgive me. Just reflect on what you are really suggesting. Think about other people Think about being kind and respectful of life.
    Your comment makes no sense.

If i live in an area where malaria is a major killer then taking various steps to protect myself from malaria is what i should do.

If you dont live in an area where malaria exists then your not gonna take any steps to protect yourself from a disease that doesnt pose a threat.

Please go get a map. Look up Vancouver island. Its one one of the largest islands in the world.

Pop 800,000

In 6 months 127 cases. Only 1 active case as of now. In all that time only 5 died. 3 deaths were 80 year olds. I havent bothered to figure out what age the other 2 were.

Reality as far as Vancouver island is concerned the pandemic was handled correctly. Businesses should and are reopening.

I have zero opinion as far as your specific area. Look it up.

There are such things as high risk areas and low risk areas.

My attitude is right in line with my local government. So my attitude is fine.

We are safe here

Look up your own regions and behavior accordingly.

Just cause your area might be screwed doesnt mean our area cant attempted to bring things back to a more normal state