Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

https://www.washingtonpost.com/busin...net-reopening/

I think that's a bit extreme, but July is definitely too soon.
    This better be one damn good movie! They're even moving WW 84 up if it doesn't do well.
    Last edited by Conn Seanery; 05-31-2020 at 09:36 AM.
    Assassinate Putin!

I don't think we are getting any moves untill 2021 or 2022 it's just to much money to risk it's a 200 million dollar movie no way it can make that in the pandemic.
    Last edited by choptop; 05-17-2020 at 06:38 PM.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

I've been an avid movie-goer pretty much my whole life. But I've realized over the last two months that I don't miss going to the movies like I thought I would. But I know people are biting at the chomps to get back to normal so I expect the first big summer movie to open will do extremely well regardless if it might be too soon.

Putting all your hope behind one movie is incredibly dumb.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by jetengine View Post
    Putting all your hope behind one movie is incredibly dumb.
    Quoted for truth.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This is quite a risky move. Even if theaters reopen and critics say Tenet is the greatest movie since Citizen Kane, that won't be enough to bring skittish people back to multiplexes when they're still worried about the virus, especially if there's no vaccine. I suspect this is going to blow up in the faces of the suits at Warner Bros.
    Last edited by WestPhillyPunisher; 05-18-2020 at 09:54 AM.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Yup. Not going to a theatre until vaccine. The rest of my life will put me at enough risk of exposure, thanks!

I love Nolan, and his movies are always a theatre experience for me, but hard pass on this.

And everyone should still be worried about the virus. It's NOT gone. We've stayed away from each other, which has limited exposure.
    Re opening businesses doesn't mean it's safer than it was, it just means the hospitals have room for you.
    Last edited by Joker; 05-18-2020 at 08:08 AM.

Mighty Member

Nevermind the link doesn’t work for some reason
    Last edited by regnak; 05-18-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Just release it on streaming. It's not safe to be going to cinemas and putting people at risk.

Quote Originally Posted by WestPhillyPunisher View Post
    This is quite a risky move. Even if theaters reopen and critics say Tenet is the greatest movie since Citizen Kane, that won't be enough to bring skittish people back to multiplexes when they're still worried about the virus, especially if there's no vaccine. I suspect this is going to blow up in the faces of the suits at Warner Bros.
    This. I for one refuse to go to the theaters if they open before I can get a vaccine. I don't care what the movie is, it isn't worth me risking Corona to see it.

I think it depends where you are in the country or world.

If you're in an area that has had limited impact from the virus anyway, then once the stay-at-home is rescinded in your area, you'll probably go to the movies and want to get back to normal as soon as possible. Not the very next day, but if the "all clear" is given and nothing happens in your area for 2 weeks or so, I'm sure people would flock to the movies again.

In areas that are hard hit like New York, it'll take longer, but quite frankly, I live in NYC and the park in my neighborhood was chock full of people this weekend -- and quite a few didn't even bother wearing masks. People weren't super-congested together, but I was still surprised. I think now that Spring has sprung in NYC (March and April were still too cold/rainy), people are really reluctant to stay indoors like they were even a few weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    Yup. Not going to a theatre until vaccine. The rest of my life will put me at enough risk of exposure, thanks!

I love Nolan, and his movies are always a theatre experience for me, but hard pass on this.

And everyone should still be worried about the virus. It's NOT gone. We've stayed away from each other, which has limited exposure.
    Re opening businesses doesn't mean it's safer than it was, it just means the hospitals have room for you.
    I recall the mean age for death in bc was loke 87

40 and under has very low chance of death.

Ive worked full time, taken bus, been to public places and open stores...

Once restaurants and theatres open Ill be going out...

Not to say the measures taken arent valid and have saved lives...

But the common flu kills 500000 annually

Obesity kills near 3 million annually

**** 300000 pedestrians die annually...

Stairs kill hundreds of thousands

Automotive accidents kill droves

Statistically as more are exposed and more are reveal asymptomatic or mild cases the more we will understand how dangerous covid is...

It is dangerous

But loads of hype and media hysteria as well...

2008 swine flu mostly killed young people... minimal reaction from government s

Covid mostly kills 60 and up. Mostly 80 somethings

Also flu vaccine isnt even a guarantee...

Neither will a covid vaccine be a guarantee

Quote from worldometers.info

When analyzing the breakdown of deaths by age and condition [source], we can observe how, out of 15,230 confirmed deaths in New York City up to May 12, only 690 (4.5% of all deaths) occurred in patients under the age of 65 who did not have an underlying medical condition (or for which it is unknown whether they had or did not have an underlying condition).

Underlying illnesses include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, GI/Liver Disease, and Obesity [source]
    Last edited by Menacer; 05-18-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Just release it on streaming. It's not safe to be going to cinemas and putting people at risk.
    Nolan will sit on this movie if it cannot go to the theaters.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    ).Underlying illnesses include Diabetes, Lung Disease, Cancer, Immunodeficiency, Heart Disease, Hypertension, Asthma, Kidney Disease, GI/Liver Disease, and Obesity [source]
    Of all the causes of death you mention, only one is infectious. Flu. If flu kills 500000 annually, then we're talking an entirely different scale with covid, which has killed over twice that many in one quarter of the time, and that's with desperate measures to stop the spread unlike anything we've done with the flu.

Oh, and swine flu was declared a national health emergency within two weeks of its discovery.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by C_Miller View Post
    Nolan will sit on this movie if it cannot go to the theaters.
    Hard to believe that would be his decision to make.