Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Wwww.worldometer.info
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Menacer; 05-18-2020 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JamesonAnders View Post
    Hard to believe that would be his decision to make.
    Not really - make more money if he sits on it till it can open in theaters. Streaming is like normal casual tv watching to a degree, it isn't an event. Going to see a film on the big screen is an event. There's still a financial incentive to being an event.

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Not really - make more money if he sits on it till it can open in theaters. Streaming is like normal casual tv watching to a degree, it isn't an event. Going to see a film on the big screen is an event. There's still a financial incentive to being an event.
    Agreed. If Tenet goes to VOD, it’s no different in stature than Trolls World Tour or Skoob. No way would Nolan lower himself to accept that for his film, not after commanding the box office with The Dark Knight trilogy, Inception and Interstellar, his ego would never allow that to happen. It either goes to the multiplex, or it goes nowhere.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Mighty Member

I dunno… I typically watch movies in the theater between 08:00 and 10:30 AM on opening weekend and usually have plenty of space on either side of me.

after a rash of theater shootings, constantly escalating ticket prices, huge lines, and what-not I just stopped going to theaters after noon. I figured, hey, it's cheaper, there's more parking, shorter lines, and the gun-toting crazy people probably don't even wake up that early.

Amazing Member

If Tenet is released when it's scheduled, theater employees (of which I am one, an Assistant Manager at an independent chain, here in the midwest) will be required to report to work, what? Probably at LEAST a week before the movie is released.

Just to get reacclimated to the job, and to learn all the new requirements in order to keep locations (and guests!) healthy and happy.

SO... Tenet is scheduled to be released July 17th.

Let's say staff is asked to return July 10th.

However, the current unemployment "pandemic bonus" of $600 per week doesn't end until July 25th.

Which means theaters will be asking nearly every employee (including me) to take a significant decrease in pay by returning back to work, at a time when - who knows how many hours employees will receive? - and put themselves at a potential significant risk to their health. All for less money.

I can't imagine employee morale will be real high for that. Can't imagine anyone being super *psyched* to return to work under those circumstances.

That's one thing.

The other big one is, there's all these reports that when theaters reopen, guests will be required to wear masks throughout the movie. Which is good. Which is smart. I can't imagine sitting in an enclosed space with strangers - socially distanced or not! - where one quick cough, one single sneeze, could destroy my... well, destroy my everything.

And not only that! One of the many questions I haven't discovered an answer to anywhere is, how in the world will the mask requirement be monitored? What's to stop a guest from slipping that mask off the moment the lights go down? Wearing a mask is not crazy comfortable, I know. And news reports from the last few weeks from states loosening their stay-at-home orders show that, sadly, there's a large number of people who are more interested in their personal "freedoms" than they are their neighbors safety.

I'm imagining an usher being required to stand in every theater, throughout every show, with some sort of stick. A ruler, something six feet long. And then, when some wiseguy decided to slip his mask off, them casually coming down the aisle and, *tap* *tap* *tap.* Asking the guest to, please. Put their mask back on.

I'm sure that won't be distracting to other guests!

So, yeah. I'm psyched for Tenet. But at this point, I just don't see how *any* of the still soon-scheduled movies get a safe, realistic release.

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post
    If Tenet is released when it's scheduled, theater employees (of which I am one, an Assistant Manager at an independent chain, here in the midwest) will be required to report to work, what? Probably at LEAST a week before the movie is released.

Just to get reacclimated to the job, and to learn all the new requirements in order to keep locations (and guests!) healthy and happy.

However, the current unemployment "pandemic bonus" of $600 per week doesn't end until July 25th.

Which means theaters will be asking nearly every employee (including me) to take a significant decrease in pay by returning back to work, at a time when - who knows how many hours employees will receive? - and put themselves at a potential significant risk to their health. All for less money.

I can't imagine employee morale will be real high for that. Can't imagine anyone being super *psyched* to return to work under those circumstances.

That's one thing.

The other big one is, there's all these reports that when theaters reopen, guests will be required to wear masks throughout the movie. Which is good. Which is smart. I can't imagine sitting in an enclosed space with strangers - socially distanced or not! - where one quick cough, one single sneeze, could destroy my... well, destroy my everything.

And not only that! One of the many questions I haven't discovered an answer to anywhere is, how in the world will the mask requirement be monitored? What's to stop a guest from slipping that mask off the moment the lights go down? Wearing a mask is not crazy comfortable, I know. And news reports from the last few weeks from states loosening their stay-at-home orders show that, sadly, there's a large number of people who are more interested in their personal "freedoms" than they are their neighbors safety.

I'm imagining an usher being required to stand in every theater, throughout every show, with some sort of stick. A ruler, something six feet long. And then, when some wiseguy decided to slip his mask off, them casually coming down the aisle and, *tap* *tap* *tap.* Asking the guest to, please. Put their mask back on.

So, yeah. I'm psyched for Tenet. But at this point, I just don't see how *any* of the still soon-scheduled movies get a safe, realistic release.
    Not ignoring everything you said but the easiest route for the 6 feet rule is to pre-mark seats you can sit in.

As for the mask, I live in a very conservative area of my state ... if you put up a "PPE required" sign, the narcissistic idiots stay home. It's working wonderfully.

Food for thought.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

Quote Originally Posted by willtupper View Post

That's one thing.

A few traps about the 600. My teenage daughter was denied unemployment, as she hasn't paid enough into the system. (Total BS, but that is a different complaint). So many teenagers who are working at the theater, might be more than happy to return to work. 2nd trap, and this will suck. If you are asked to return to work and you say, "no thanks" you don't get unemployment any longer. If you are honest and say you declined work.

But you are correct, that will affect morale and some people might not be happy.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Astonishing Member

I don't see how any movies are going to be in theatres if the second wave hits like a lot of 'experts' are predicting.

But there were lots of States that were barely affected so it would be a shame to shutdown theatres because of a few affected states.

Can't imagine the movie industry moving forward for a long time.

Amazing Member

Yes, of course. And the premarked seats are something I know are being discussed. Also the possibility of covering the seats that are NOT for sale in garbage bags.

Also it's been discussed simply removing those seats from each theater. Literally. Taking the actual seats out.

But if you honestly think young people, teenagers, especially DATING teenagers are going to honor that six feet rule once the lights go out, then friend, you have never worked in a movie theater before (but I admire your belief in your fellow man very much).

And while I think a "PPE Required" sign is a fine one, I am in NO way convinced that folks would choose to leave them on once the lights go out. And again, how will we enforce it? How can we maintain social distancing with people (and there are people like this everywhere, I suspect. Certainly around here) choose not to comply?

And it's dark?

And the film's on?

I appreciate your optimism. At this point, I just don't know if I can share it.

Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Not ignoring everything you said but the easiest route for the 6 feet rule is to pre-mark seats you can sit in.

As for the mask, I live in a very conservative area of my state ... if you put up a "PPE required" sign, the narcissistic idiots stay home. It's working wonderfully.

Food for thought.

Amazing Member

You're absolutely right about the 600. And that sucks. My appologies to your daughter.

As for "so many teenagers who are working at the theater," that is probably a case-by-case thing. I know where I live (and I've been working in theaters since I was 16. I am... um, "significantly older" than that now) a good chunk - at least half, I'd say - of the employees at my location are adults (20 or older). And we are one of the biggest and busiest theaters in our area.

And you're right about the end of unemployment if you don't go back to work. So what if you don't feel safe? So what if you're responsible for someone who is older and immunocompromised? It's a fatal flaw in the current system. Wherein the "fatal" in "fatal flaw" is all too often literal.

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    A few traps about the 600. My teenage daughter was denied unemployment, as she hasn't paid enough into the system. (Total BS, but that is a different complaint). So many teenagers who are working at the theater, might be more than happy to return to work. 2nd trap, and this will suck. If you are asked to return to work and you say, "no thanks" you don't get unemployment any longer. If you are honest and say you declined work.

But you are correct, that will affect morale and some people might not be happy.

Amazing Member

I completely agree about the potential for a second wave. To get everything back up and running (at limited capacity), only to have it hit again, and perhaps even harder this time, would set us back further than where we started. It would be a LITERAL case of "one step forward, two steps back."

Something else about the potential of "Tenet" being released on time. I know my experience is only anecdotal, but I've at least four friends who used to work in the theater business who have moved on because of this. They're working at "big box" stores now. Target, Amazon, Wal-Mart.

The point being, when theater workers are called back up - who knows how many will actually return? How many staff will theaters still have?

I feel like it's nothing but questions, now. There are no easy answers, if there are answers at all.

And sadly, I agree. I can't imagine the movie industry moving forward for a long time, either. It bums me out. But, no matter how much I love movies, I don't think there's been a single film that's been worth a human life. Not one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Colossus1980 View Post
    I don't see how any movies are going to be in theatres if the second wave hits like a lot of 'experts' are predicting.

But there were lots of States that were barely affected so it would be a shame to shutdown theatres because of a few affected states.

Can't imagine the movie industry moving forward for a long time.

Astonishing Member

Hollywood needs to take the L and stream their movies if they want money. It's that or put everything on hold until COVID-19 is finished, and nobody knows how long that will last.

Amazing Member

Yeah, I think you might be right.

And you know, it's weird. I was working at a different theater then the one I'm currently in, back in 2012. I worked the Thursday night "The Dark Knight Rises" opened. And as I drove home, every news story on the radio was about the murders that had taken place in Aurora, Colorado.

And, again: my experience is my own. But I can remember the theater being so slow, that whole weekend. We had at least a half-dozen police officers working at the theater, monitoring screenings, concerned about copycats.

I read the entire fourth Harry Potter book, sitting in the box office by myself, that weekend. It was weird. The vibe, the tension of it all.

And as I was thinking about it, it dawned me. How had I not made the connection?

That was a Christopher Nolan movie, too.

I don't have anything else to say about that. It just kind of struck me.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Hollywood needs to take the L and stream their movies if they want money. It's that or put everything on hold until COVID-19 is finished, and nobody knows how long that will last.

There is NOTHING that would get me to go or let my kids go to the movies. Concerts, amusement parks, planes & those things are dead to me.

The only thing I will brave is supermarkets/gas stations & I will 100% absolutely crawl over broken glass to vote this Nov.

Quote Originally Posted by GOLGO 13 View Post
    There is NOTHING that would get me to go or let my kids go to the movies. Concerts, amusement parks, planes & those things are dead to me.

The only thing I will brave is supermarkets/gas stations & I will 100% absolutely crawl over broken glass to vote this Nov.
    It really depends where you live.

Vancouver Island Bc has 800,000+ people
    Is larger then cuba

Bc itself is larger then most countries and has around 2 million pop

Has only had 2500 cases
    2000 recovered

460 active
    And
    146 dead ... 95.5% of those in there 80s

In BC we responded quickly with the lockdown and i wouldn't hesitate to go to movies, restaurants, etc etc

But of course it depends on ur age and where you live.

Globally almost zero children have died...

Swine flu, h1n1 was far far far far far more deadly to the young and infected 1.4 billion and killed 500,000

No one batted an eye at that time and young people died enmass...

Covid is ultimately more dangerous and spreads faster...

But those below 40 have a fatality of about .2

Common flu is .1

So to young people its as dangerous as the common flu