Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by coveredinbees View Post
    Nitro didn't blow up that school. The government blew it up and used Nitro as a scapegoat. We saw in New Mutants v1 #83 Nitro is given an unconstitutional trial. In his canister, he can neither defend himself, nor see his accuser. The government has screwed him before!

But why did they blow it up? Underneath the school, the US government ran a drug trying to convert the dangerous drug Sleet into a beserker drug for their soldiers. They used the children as test subjects. Sleet is unpredictable and the plan was a failure. They had to destroy the school to cover up their crimes.

I forget the issue, but it's NM.

Yah!
    Jeez. Inferno came out in 1989. Blues Brothers movie in 1980, and they’re using a Blues Bros reference????

Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    My answer, generally speaking, is that the general citizenry and public don't trust the "heroes" anymore than they would trust the "villains," seeing them --- rightly or wrongly --- as two sides of the same coin, superhumans who flout human authorities, laws, and rules out of an ingrained belief (conscious or subconscious) in their innate superiority to regular humans, whether it's the "heroes" acting as "protectors" or the "villains" acting more overtly as "conquerors." Stuff like the X-Men f***ing off to Krakoa and making it clear that humanity gets nothing from them anymore unless it's willing to recognize and respect mutants' right to exist, HYDRA-Cap and the Secret Empire (a lot of people in-universe still think the "real" Captain America and HYDRA-Cap are one and the same), and even the Civil Wars, as far as the public is concerned, is just superhumans taking off the proverbial mask and showing what they really think and feel about humanity at large. In retrospect, it's why Norman Osborn got so much support in Dark Reign; he might be a murderous s***heel, but at least with him, it's all out in the open, unlike the "heroes" who repeatedly exploit, manipulate, and even betray the public's trust for the sake of protecting their own status and position and sweeping their own bad history and actions under the proverbial rug.
    It’s a cynical approach to the Marvel Universe, and during that period of Events, you couldn’t help feeling the superheroes were thought of as just people acting superior, manipulating society for their own benefit. That wasn’t how the superheroes wanted to be viewed, I feel.

I think the situation got away from the superheroes. For years, people were grateful for whatever superheroes could do to help the other authorities against supervillains and interstellar/inter dimensional threats. At some point, (I place it at the time Reed Richards uses the Ultimate Nullifier in FF Annual 2001), things went pear shaped and heroes began to do stupid things all of a sudden. Fictional GW Bush in particular became completely disenfranchised to them from then on. Once the POTUS became suspicious of superheroes, it spelled the end of their free pass. But it was all on the superheroes. When Wanda Maximoff took out the Avengers and X-Men, nothing was going be the same as before. It was a comedy of errors, where being unable to help Wanda became the superheroes fault.

We never knew the Illuminati existed except for there being a New Avengers that needed to help the insane Sentry. (I can’t help but think this all started with Paul Jenkins Sentry series and Reed having to mind wipe the whole world. That was insane in itself).

After FF Annual 2001, I think Wanda and Doom took over the world, leading to Secret Wars 2015, but it was Reeds fault.
    Last edited by jackolover; 05-24-2020 at 06:42 AM.