Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Does Wolverine need a solo series?

I understand that Wolverine is a profitable and popular character, but from a story perspective do you all think he needs a solo series (especially in the already crowded lineup of X-books)? I personally feel like the character's past and adventures across the Marvel Universe have been so thoroughly explored that he works better as a team player within the X-books.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Every book he's in, which is damn near every book, is practically his anyway. lol So he & Deadpool could stand to have a hiatus with solos.

Then again, I think he could stand to be more limited in general. He's a big character. Put him on the main X-book and give the other books a breather from him.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-11-2020 at 04:23 PM.

Everything Fades Away... butterflykyss's Avatar

I dont see or understand why he is as popular as he is (such a boring character to me) but these companies are about making money. so I get why he is everywhere but do we really need another solo going into why he wants to cut, stab, and kill everything around him? I would say no, absolutely not.
    ALL HAIL THE HADARI YAO, THE OMEGA'S OMEGA, BEYOND OMEGA, THE VOICE OF SOL!!!! NOW AGAIN THE ONE TRUE AND ONLY GODDESS OF THE X-MEN AS CLAREMONT INTENDED!!!!!

Look, comics are a power fantasy. Modern people are very much out of touch with their primal selves. Wolverine is a facet to embrace that, particularly for the average comic book buying person. Even if you don't fit that mold precisely, who wouldn't want to cut people who annoy you into ribbons and heal back from any injury, never fear getting sick? Never really even die?

I'm not saying he needs solos, I'm just saying I understand why they make them. And why they sell.
    Let the flames destroy all but that which is pure and true!

Yes he does. That’s why he has one. It sells well and his fans enjoy reading it. Case closed.

Sarveśām Svastir Bhavatu Devaishwarya's Avatar

I'm not a fan but even I can admit he should have his solo series. The Wolverine fans really got lucky on that score.
    My Summer rain. My rooftop in Japan. My quiet in the storm. *cries* Al Ewing is GOD...Praise His name! Uplift Him in song! Glorify His works!

No, he doesn't need one at all. But the Wolverine fanboys riot if he isn't starring in a solo while hogging the spotlight every other chance he gets so we're stuck with him.

Riot or just vote with our wallets. Either way. It’s effective. Don’t hate the player just hate the game. Ha.

BANNED

He works better as a solo character but that doesn't mean his books were any good in recent years.

Mighty Member

Does any character need a solo series? For everyone saying no he doesn't I bet if your fave character was given a solo series you would be ecstatic. Wolverine is popular and has a very large fanbase, he sells so he gets his own series which sells better than most; simple as that. He just happens to be the convenient punching bag for people to vent their frustrations and anger on, same for Batman at DC. But he will survive so no biggie.

BANNED

Him having a solo is fine.

The fact that he habitually ends up on the roster of multiple concurrent team books is NOT.

NO character should be a permanent cast member of more than one team book. I'm not saying they can't appear if a given plot calls for it, but as a full-time member of multiple rosters? Absolutely not.

Right now he’s in two books regularly: His solo and X-Force. Occasionally X-men, but he’s really been more of a guest star there than anything. I think a lot of the Logan hate is misdirected honestly. People who assume that if he wasn’t in so many books that their favorites would get more panel time. I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Some other, more popular character (with a power set that lends itself to visceral fight scenes) would be placed into the void. Cable, Deadpool, Sabretooth, X-23, etc.

Extraordinary Member Silver Fang's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Ambaryerno View Post
    Him having a solo is fine.

The fact that he habitually ends up on the roster of multiple concurrent team books is NOT.

NO character should be a permanent cast member of more than one team book. I'm not saying they can't appear if a given plot calls for it, but as a full-time member of multiple rosters? Absolutely not.
    This^ 100%

Wolverine is popular, and even haters recognize that. But he doesn't need to be everywhere all the time. Again, have him on the X-Men team. And let OTHER characters have the remaining books. Everyone does not love Wolverine, and it's nice to be able to read good books with other beloved characters without needing to see him ever 15 sec.

He's like the Stone Cold of Marvel....Also very annoying. lol Especially when his biggest contribution was one of the most annoying, obnoxious chants in WWE history while being a mary sue that rarely got as good as he got to give. Least not nearly enough for my liking.
    Last edited by Silver Fang; 05-11-2020 at 05:35 PM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Jackraow21 View Post
    Right now he’s in two books regularly: His solo and X-Force. Occasionally X-men, but he’s really been more of a guest star there than anything. I think a lot of the Logan hate is misdirected honestly. People who assume that if he wasn’t in so many books that their favorites would get more panel time. I don’t think that’s necessarily true. Some other, more popular character (with a power set that lends itself to visceral fight scenes) would be placed into the void. Cable, Deadpool, Sabretooth, X-23, etc.
    Emphasis this point. RIGHT NOW. Because in the past (including the RECENT past) we've seen Logan anchoring multiple team books. And you can sure as hell bet it will happen again at some point in the future.

Supply and demand can be a cruel mistress...