Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Zero Hunter View Post
    I have no idea how Bendis has explanined how Bart exists in Young Justice (and knowing Bendis he probably hasn't) when he and XS should not exists in the current DCU.
    1. Bendis didn't bring Bart back. Joshua Williamson did. Bendis is just using him in his book.
    2. It was explained that Bart was trapped in the speed force and was freed when Barry and Wally broke the force barrier in Flash War.
    Last Read: Zatanna and the Ripper vol. 1

Monthly Pull List: Alan Scott: The Green Lantern, Batman, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Beware the Planet of the Apes, Birds of Prey, Daredevil, Green Arrow, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Ducks, Justice Society of America, Negaduck, Nightwing, Phantom Road, Shazam!, Suicide Squad: Dream Team, Superman '78: The Metal Curtain, Thundercats, Titans

You have to be really careful not to make the ties to tight though. We all know what happened to the Legion when Superboy was written out. Loose ties are fine and there have been many over the years. We have seen Dr. Fate touched on. There have been Flash and Shazam ties in the past too along with Green Lanterns. A good example of why ties can't be too tight is XS. Her whole backstory was messed up when DC brought back Barry. If Barry never went to the future and then died in Crisis then he and Iris never had kids who in turn never had kids of their own who became XS and Impulse. I have no idea how Bendis has explanined how Bart exists in Young Justice (and knowing Bendis he probably hasn't) when he and XS should not exists in the current DCU.
    Oh absolutely, the ties need to be just tight enough for the Legion to be recognizable as a future version of the DCU, but not so tight they cause continuity problems or it just becomes "here's the JLA, but in the future and with people in the costumes you don't care about!"

Like with Shazam (for example), the 31st century version should have no ties to Billy or the Batson family. You could play with the idea that the wizard who gives this new character the power is Billy (or Mary, Freddie, etc), or maybe just the original wizard, but it should be kept vague so the current day DC stuff isn't trapped by a mandate that says "Billy has to someday become the next wizard and live for centuries."

And in the Legion, legacies of recognizable heroes should be a rarity. We don't need a Bat, a Super, a Wonder, a Flash, a Lantern and an Aqua-person on the roster. One or two descendants/legacies, sure, and there's nothing wrong with a few artifacts surviving, like Fate's helmet or Arthur's trident, but again, this stuff should be fairly rare.

And we haven't got to the issue of Young Justice where the continuity stuff is explained. It was supposed to start being unraveled in the next issue I think, but then the pandemic hit and now we're waiting. I'd imagine the easiest solution with Bart and XS is just saying "Barry hasn't gone to the future....yet....and hasn't died in a Crisis.....yet."
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    Now, that said, I *want* there to be Lanterns in the future. I don't think it's a concept that should be removed even if it could be explained in a semi-rational way.
    I'd imagine that lots of stuff would still be around even if it gets destroyed twice a week during the 20th/21st century. I mean, c'mon, the Lantern Corps, the planet Tamaran, Bialya, Tora's magical snow-people, Feithera and it's people, etc. existed for *thousands of years* before the present day, and then the 'modern age' comes around and they fall over like ten pins, over and over again. It's just the nature of the story. Each writer wants to blow stuff up, with little apparent care for the writers who are coming next, and might have wanted to use that Corps, planet, magical land, alternate earth, character, etc.

When I write my own stuff, I handily ignore that so and so is dead, or planet X is blowed up *this week,* because it could have changed *hundreds of times* by the Legion's future, and that's even assuming that their future is 100% the future of the 'current day' stories, and that, just as a single current day period can have multiple branching alternate futures, that the Legion's future can't have *multiple branching alternate pasts.* (Either because it is one amalgamated future, spun together from multiple collapsed timelines, like the 'clutter earth' of post-crisis continuity, or some even more arcane explanation.)

It's already 'choose your own future.' Why can't it also be 'choose your own past?'

Extraordinary Member Zero Hunter's Avatar

Like with Shazam (for example), the 31st century version should have no ties to Billy or the Batson family. You could play with the idea that the wizard who gives this new character the power is Billy (or Mary, Freddie, etc), or maybe just the original wizard, but it should be kept vague so the current day DC stuff isn't trapped by a mandate that says "Billy has to someday become the next wizard and live for centuries."
    Meet CeCe Beck aka Thunder of the Legion of Superheroes. A young hero from 6000 years in the future who was stranded in the Legions time for a few years.

Last edited by Zero Hunter; 05-19-2020 at 04:26 PM.

Three Legged Member married guy's Avatar

I don't want to see ANY future versions of existing heroes appear in the pages of Legion.
    Firstly, why would they? Did the Great Disaster still occur causing havok with the Legion history files?
    If so, there REALLY shouldn't be future versions of existing heroes appear.

Now I can deal with the GLC still existing (those Blue buggers are immortal after all, not to mention stubborn), but I don't want to see any power ring bearers join.
    "My name is Wally West. I'm the fastest man alive!"
    I'll try being nicer if you try being smarter.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post
    I don't want to see ANY future versions of existing heroes appear in the pages of Legion.
    Firstly, why would they? Did the Great Disaster still occur causing havok with the Legion history files?

Now I can deal with the GLC still existing (those Blue buggers are immortal after all, not to mention stubborn), but I don't want to see any power ring bearers join.
    Yeah, part of the charm for me was always that it was its own thing. I actually like the idea of the GLC existing, but only one or two lanterns that are rebuilding the order again.

If Legion has its own Doctor Fate, Lanterns, etc... It really is just a remixed DCU. May as well be some alternate Earth at that point. Superman/Superboy/Supergirl used to be the bridge, but it definitely feels less special now.

Incredible Member

Meet CeCe Beck aka Thunder of the Legion of Superheroes. A young hero from 6000 years in the future who was stranded in the Legions time for a few years.

Wow. That's definitely a blast from the past. Probably have that annual. Somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Yeah, part of the charm for me was always that it was its own thing. I actually like the idea of the GLC existing, but only one or two lanterns that are rebuilding the order again.

If Legion has its own Doctor Fate, Lanterns, etc... It really is just a remixed DCU. May as well be some alternate Earth at that point. Superman/Superboy/Supergirl used to be the bridge, but it definitely feels less special now.
    But see the Legion is set in the future of the DC universe, so they live in a world where all that stuff would effect them. Granted it would be different a 1000 years in the future but it would still exist and have an impact, though not saying it has to be a main focus of the team as I’m not looking for Batman of the 31st century.

Besides there have been plenty of legion characters over the various iterations that have deep or just tangential connections to present day characters. Brainiac 5, Mon-el, XS, Laurel Kent, and Thunder to name a few.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Quote Originally Posted by married guy View Post

A few examples of supposedly immortal concepts are OK with me. As has been said, a JL+1000 isn't the Legion and it shouldn't be. Obviously, there is no "correct" answer for how much to bring current day concepts to the DC Universe a thousand years from now. We all have our own tastes regarding this. It would be easy to focus on what the Amazons look like in this time, or who's wearing the Fate helmet, or if Shazam is still Cece Beck. But it's not the Legion and the collections of heroes from the United Planets.

Nobody is saying we want JL3K instead of the Legion. Just that *some* things that exist today should exist then too. And there's examples in the thread already of this happening, like with CeCe, Mon-El, Brainy, etc. Aquaman's trident has existed since before Altantis originally sank, the power of Shazam has been around probably just as long. Those things have survived Crisis after Crisis, the sinking of continents, the death of godly pantheons, etc. If they survived all that, it's not hard to believe they survived the Great Disaster too.

We don't want JL3K where the roster is just future versions of the League. But it's not gonna hurt anyone to have a Kent or a magic helmet in those big Legion group shots either, and if that reminds people that the Legion is part of the DCU and makes the book seem more "important" then so much the better; Legion fans aren't enough to keep the book alive and anything that gets the attention of potential new fans is a good thing.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Nobody is saying we want JL3K instead of the Legion. Just that *some* things that exist today should exist then too. And there's examples in the thread already of this happening, like with CeCe, Mon-El, Brainy, etc. Aquaman's trident has existed since before Altantis originally sank, the power of Shazam has been around probably just as long. Those things have survived Crisis after Crisis, the sinking of continents, the death of godly pantheons, etc. If they survived all that, it's not hard to believe they survived the Great Disaster too.

We don't want JL3K where the roster is just future versions of the League. But it's not gonna hurt anyone to have a Kent or a magic helmet in those big Legion group shots either, and if that reminds people that the Legion is part of the DCU and makes the book seem more "important" then so much the better; Legion fans aren't enough to keep the book alive and anything that gets the attention of potential new fans is a good thing.
    I fully believe the slippery batslope is a thing at DC. I don't trust them editorial. Planet Gotham was bad enough, to be honest.

I fully believe the slippery batslope is a thing at DC. I don't trust them editorial. Planet Gotham was bad enough, to be honest.
    Well, you've got a good point there.

~ Black Panther.

Okay yeah I can agree Planet Gotham is a bit much.
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Ultimate Member

I would like to see some unusual far out future stuff, like the Amazons of Themyscira may or may not have relocated to a distant world, as magically unreachable as their island paradise was for millenia before. (I say 'may or may not' because it's not entirely sure, and the Amazons aren't spilling their tea.) Atlantis now exists as part of a New Atlantean Empire, spread across the seas of a dozen worlds (most, but not all, UP worlds, although the NAE is itself an UP signatory, even if not technically a 'world'). Thanagar has abandoned their homeworld entirely, and exists now as individuals in ships of Nth metal, some almost the size of a small moon, for the most prominent of the race, and those being entirely unable (due to their size) to enter a planetary atmosphere, being entirely a race of space-faring beings, never touching ground. Trigon's dimension has seen an exodus of former conquered people, tainted by millenia of crossbreeding with 'demons' in his service, they are 'demonoid,' but not full demons with kewl powers, just some unpopular appearance traits, for the most part, and with zero desire to be 'repatriated' to the hell-world in which they were slaves. There are hundreds of thousands of them, and the UP has assigned them some marginal space on worlds with no native sapient population.

Stuff like that. I don't really care about *individuals* 1000 years later, like what Vandal Savage or R'as al-Ghul or Solomon Grundy are up to. But worlds like Tamaran (mysteriously not-destroyed for the third time?) or Karna (repopulated after a thousand years by the now repentant Gordanians who hunted them to extinction ten centuries ago, and now are peaceful wandering philosophers helping the reborn-via-cloning Karnan race rediscover their forgotten culture and history?) or the 'Meta-Zone' of Shade the Changing Man (now known as Bgtzl?). That sort of thing sounds fun.

(Warning, I made everything in this post up. Don't be looking for canon!)

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It'd be funny if "Gold" was just yellow, but Gold Lantern doesn't want to be associated with the Sinestro Corps.
    Honestly I thought that the first time I saw the character.