Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    It'd be funny if "Gold" was just yellow, but Gold Lantern doesn't want to be associated with the Sinestro Corps.
    I love this idea. I wish we got this instead. I'd love to read about a guy trying to make a good-guy version of the Sinestro Corps. There's nothing inherently wrong with using fear as a power source.

It's even thematically appropriate. Why does he tell everyone he's Gold Lantern? Because he's afraid. He's afraid of how he'll be treated if they find out he's actually using an old Sinestro Corp ring.
    Reimagined public domain superheroes in a 1945 that never was!
    Read the superhero webcomic THE POWER OF STARDUST!

Extraordinary Member

Bring back the old GL villain, the Invisible Destroyer, as the leader of the Infrared Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Bring back the old GL villain, the Invisible Destroyer, as the leader of the Infrared Corps.
    That may be the best idea I've heard this century.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Otto Gruenwald View Post
    I love this idea. I wish we got this instead. I'd love to read about a guy trying to make a good-guy version of the Sinestro Corps. There's nothing inherently wrong with using fear as a power source.

It's even thematically appropriate. Why does he tell everyone he's Gold Lantern? Because he's afraid. He's afraid of how he'll be treated if they find out he's actually using an old Sinestro Corp ring.
    That is neat. Particularly if the ring somehow feeds off of fear, so that Gold Lantern is paradoxically *making people braver* by extracting their fear from them.

I've always been annoyed by the Star Wars logic that some emotions are 'good' and some emotions are 'bad.' There are things we *should* fear to some extent, because they are dangerous or deserving of caution or respect (cars, electricity, guns, large animals). There are things in this world that *should* make us angry, angry enough to do something about them. And in the other direction, too much 'love' can lead to obsession or stalking, too much 'hope' can lead to people spending all of their money on gambling or snake-oil cures or whacky feel-good cults, or people who are delusionally overconfident and lead others into terrible decisions. The notion that red rings of anger or yellow rings of fear are 'bad' and green rings of courage and blue rings of hope are 'good' seems a bit reductive to me.
    Last edited by Sutekh; 03-30-2022 at 12:28 AM.

Well, we are living in a world with a different paradigm: emotions are not inherently "good" or "bad" and all of them have a role in the human mind, meaning they have a function into helping the surviving. What is nocive, as sutekh point it, is to be controled by our emotions. Rage is necesary to push you fight back, but can make you a monster if you let it run free uncontrolled (and left you empty) and hope can made you easly a fanatic if you are not willing to see fact coldly.

However, I don't think Bendis would had give the Gold Lantern such a deep thought. Whatever answers he gives, if he gives an answer at all, it would be totally unrelated to the emotional spectrum.
    "Never assign to malice what is adequately explained by stupidity or ignorance."

"Great stories will always return to their original forms"

"Nobody is more dangerous than he who imagines himself pure in heart; for his purity, by definition, is unassailable." James Baldwin

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    That may be the best idea I've heard this century.
    I mean, as soon as Justice League had Umbrax with the Ultraviolet Corps, I thought DC would surely have Infrared too.
    But in order not to feel forced, it occurred to me that using an old GL villain and reveal ties to him, is the way to go. Just like how they did Sinestro, Star Sapphire and Black Hand.