1. Team vs Team Fight on the Astral Plane

2. One-on-one Telepathic fights:
    Emma Frost vs Gorilla Grodd
    Mr. Sinister vs Hector Hammond
    Exodus vs Manchester Black
    Jean Grey vs Captain Comet
    Cassandra Nova vs Despero

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

A little surprised to not see Martian Manhunter and Xavier in the mix. But I guess they are largely the premiere telepaths in their respective settings.

I'll do the one on one fights for the ones I know about.

Emma Frost beats Grodd pretty clean, her peaks are just flatly higher.

Nova, at her peak, was screwing with not only Xavier but also the entire Shi-ar Empire, I think that puts her a fair bit above Despero.

I think Sinister beats Hammond, mostly because I've never really seen Hammond do all that much that's impressive rather than any deep knowledge on Sinister.

I don't know Exodus or Captain Comet well enough to comment on their fights.

Yeah, Captain Comet is the big unknown for me.

In the individual matches, I think Exodus vs Black is one of the more interesting tussles.

But putting aside Captain Comet (and how he relates to Jean’s power-level), I’d say Cassandra Nova and Exodus can probably out-power Despero and Black in pure telepathy.

Of course, I don’t know if Jean has any vestiges of the Phoenix Force in her these days, and that whole Teen Jean / Galactus / Adult Jean’s memories thing is a complete mess.

So Jean’s either a ridiculous ringer or just a very good telepath.

The rest of both sides, even Emma, are just filler in the team battle.

Yeah Marvel telepaths are the more op. Like how at DC there strong and fast people out do the Marvel half.

Karma is a universal concept that bites all at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by Beadle View Post
    Yeah, Captain Comet is the big unknown for me.

In the individual matches, I think Exodus vs Black is one of the more interesting tussles.

But putting aside Captain Comet (and how he relates to Jean’s power-level), I’d say Cassandra Nova and Exodus can probably out-power Despero and Black in pure telepathy.

Of course, I don’t know if Jean has any vestiges of the Phoenix Force in her these days, and that whole Teen Jean / Galactus / Adult Jean’s memories thing is a complete mess.

So Jean’s either a ridiculous ringer or just a very good telepath.

The rest of both sides, even Emma, are just filler in the team battle.
    I don't know, Despero is Xavier + level and Black is monstrous telepathically.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post

Nova, at her peak, was screwing with not only Xavier but also the entire Shi-ar Empire, I think that puts her a fair bit above Despero.
    I don't think it does. Despero turned J'Onn into a literal drooling mess. And he did it casually.

Quote Originally Posted by Slade1 View Post
    I don't think it does. Despero turned J'Onn into a literal drooling mess. And he did it casually.
    Cassandra Nova turned Jean into a literal drooling mess. And she did it casually as well.

Oh and this was a Jean Grey that had begun to manifest the Phoenix. And was also simultaneously attacking her with Xavier combined.

I don't know, Despero is Xavier + level and Black is monstrous telepathically.
    Xavier is planetary-level. Even if Despero is a multiple-planetary level telepath, Nik pointed out that Nova was messing with the entire Shi’ar Empire. That’s multiple star systems‘ worth of planets. While pwning Xavier.

Nova wasn't simultaneously mind-raping all inhabitants of the Shi'ar Empire.

And she was in Xavier's body at the time, not her own, and thus limited to his physiology and powers. Using Xavier's body/powers, she mind controlled Llandra, and had the empress destroy her own empire with various erratic decrees etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Cassandra Nova turned Jean into a literal drooling mess. And she did it casually as well.

Oh and this was a Jean Grey that had begun to manifest the Phoenix. And was also simultaneously attacking her with Xavier combined.
    Yes, but J'Onn is a much stronger telepath than Jean. Beginning to manifest the Phoenix force means little without feats.

Just to give you a frame of reference on J'Onns telepathic defense. In one story he was captured by seven White Martians, tortured for days, had inserted psi spikes into this head to drain his telepathy and all of them attacked him telepathically and still couldn't break into his head. And one white martian is strong enough to control the Justice League. Another time he easily protects Batman telepathically against Mageddon. The same thing that caused an entire race of super beings to commit suicide. And these gods had been preparing for like a 1000 years to face it. MM has insane telepathic defense, yet was instantly owned by Despero.

I'm not saying which side wins as I have no knowledge of Captain Comet and little on Exodus. I'm just saying it's closer than you may think.

Quote Originally Posted by Sophicles View Post
    Nova wasn't simultaneously mind-raping all inhabitants of the Shi'ar Empire.

And she was in Xavier's body at the time, not her own, and thus limited to his physiology and powers. Using Xavier's body/powers, she mind controlled Llandra, and had the empress destroy her own empire with various erratic decrees etc.
    Ah, and that’s what I get for forgetting the whole story and just piggy-backing on someone else’s comment. Fair enough.

Yes, but J'Onn is a much stronger telepath than Jean. Beginning to manifest the Phoenix force means little without feats.

Just to give you a frame of reference on J'Onns telepathic defense. In one story he was captured by seven White Martians, tortured for days, had inserted psi spikes into this head to drain his telepathy and all of them attacked him telepathically and still couldn't break into his head. And one white martian is strong enough to control the Justice League. Another time he easily protects Batman telepathically against Mageddon. The same thing that caused an entire race of super beings to commit suicide. And these gods had been preparing for like a 1000 years to face it. MM has insane telepathic defense, yet was instantly owned by Despero.

I'm not saying which side wins as I have no knowledge of Captain Comet and little on Exodus. I'm just saying it's closer than you may think.
    Is that consistent for Despero? I'm vaguely sure I've seen encounters with J'onn where they've been presented as more even.

Happy to be corrected, my knowledge of DC is hazy these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Is that consistent for Despero? I'm vaguely sure I've seen encounters with J'onn where they've been presented as more even.

Happy to be corrected, my knowledge of DC is hazy these days.
    I haven't read every appearance of Despero, but of the times I have, he's always presented as higher than MM.

I haven't read every appearance of Despero, but of the times I have, he's always presented as higher than MM.
    Not disputing the higher, but there's "higher," and then there's "effortlessly reduces him to a vegetable,"

I don't know if that's the norm or not is the thing.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Isn't Jean Grey portrayed as being a practical goddess who swats the likes of Emma Frost like a bug if she was ever really angry with her on the Astral Plane, even without taking into account the Phoenix Force? Like, I thought her whole thing is that she's actually notably stronger than Professor Xavier, just without his experience (even though she's been over thirty since at least the late nineties).

Anyone know any impressive non-Phoenix feats of telepathy for her? She always very boring to me, which is a weird thing to say about a beautiful redheaded Civil Rights Activist/Child Soldier at the heart of several cosmic story arcs and multiple love triangles (including one involving my favorite comic book character), so I don't really remember many of her feats.

Seriously, it's like they were trying to make her a Mary Sue but also a trophy to be won at the same time, and it all somehow balanced out to turn her into a bowl of oatmeal.
    Last edited by The Drunkard Kid; 05-21-2020 at 09:36 AM.