Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default DCeased Unkillables #3 Discussion and Spoilers

Look I know its probably early for this, but I didn't sleep great so I read this early and wanted to talk about it. Now since its early I'm gonna post a general review and then put a big spoiler block underneath for those who want to read that.

Now how would I describe this issue? Basically its end of the 2004 Dawn of the dead movie where the survivors run off to potential safety....except insert a bat mobile and a zombie Wonder Woman. Its honestly what you expect but told pretty well, some survive, heroes (I guess villains and anti-heroes in this case) will rise, and there are noble sacrifices for the greater good of others. It does its job by telling a good story with emotional moments and then sets up some characters for next months sequel Dead Planet. If there are any complaints, its the art. It is very hit or miss, sometimes it looks great --in fact I loved one particular panel with Deathstroke-- but sometimes it can make some faces look ugly. So overall good story that sets up part of the next one which I wished had some better art, I would probably give it an 8.5/10.

Now onto the spoilers, read at own risk/only if you really want to know, but I'm doing this to get some specific stuff off my chest.

spoilers:
    First off the survivors and those who died. Personally as a Red Hood fan I'm glad he's alive and may have a chance to have an emotional meeting with Damian in the future, alongside Cassandra (Batgirl) and Jim Gordon. I'm also surprised that it took DCeased to make me care about Cheetah, Soloman Grundy, Creeper, and Deathstroke all getting killed to hold off the horde and the zombie Wonder Woman, who quite frankly is scary that she is still running around after all this. In fact that panel I was talking about is where Deathstroke is just fighting off the horde before Wonder Woman kills him.

Shiva's death was very emotional, mainly because she did it to save Cassandra and then literally ripped out her own heart so she wouldn't turn.

Biggest shock though was Mary Marvel, because it turns out shes the narrator and was there the whole time as one of the orphans. I guess it makes sense since we saw zombie Billy Batson last issue but I'll admit I was surprised to see her. At first I was a bit miffed that she just stood back, but the story made a good point that before the villains and batfamily members trained them she had no hope against the likes of a zombie Wonder Woman and that it would be bad if she got infected as Mary Marvel, basically would be the Superman situation all over again. But hey seeing Mary Marvel just smack down wonder woman was cool to see. Plus I assume she will be useful in the sequel, having both Jon Superman and Mary Marvel.

Lastly it turns out, not only are Harley and Ivy still alive after DCeased but they've taken in other survivors and met up with Constantine, Zatanna, and Dr. Fate from Good day to die who have put a magic protection field around the jungle. It's a bit convenient but makes sense since it was one of the safe zones set up in DCeased and Themiscyra is gone.

Personally I'm excited to see them all again once Dead Planet comes out next month, probably my biased enjoyment for DCeased but I'm just glad to have more.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

My main complaints, besides the hit or miss art, is that;
    1. It took an apocalyptic scenario, on another Earth at that, for Jason to be in the family portrait.
    2. It took the same scenario for Jason and Cass Cain to finally team up.

Aside from those, this series actually made me care for villains. Even had me rooting for Cheetah, Shiva, and Deathstroke, of all people.

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post
    1. It took an apocalyptic scenario, on another Earth at that, for Jason to be in the family portrait.

Aside from those, this series actually made me care for villains. Even had me rooting for Cheetah, Shiva, and Deathstroke, of all people.
    Have Jason and Cassandra seriously never worked together before this?

Also, I’d have to say probably my favorite villain of this story/issue was Cheetah. Had some great moments in this

spoilers:
    Mary Marvel concerns me, because that means for Dead Planet Taylor is planning something story wise that requires Cassie Wonder Woman, Jon Superman, and Mary Marvel. Should be interesting to see what happens I suppose.
    end of spoilers
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

I really enjoyed this series quite a bit, despite having no real attachment to any of the characters and a few I generally actively dislike (like Deathstroke). I thought the art was great and it ended on a surprisingly hopeful note for what it was.

Quote Originally Posted by sifighter View Post
    Have Jason and Cassandra seriously never worked together before this?

Also, I’d have to say probably my favorite villain of this story/issue was Cheetah. Had some great moments in this

spoilers:
    Mary Marvel concerns me, because that means for Dead Planet Taylor is planning something story wise that requires Cassie Wonder Woman, Jon Superman, and Mary Marvel. Should be interesting to see what happens I suppose.
    end of spoilers
    In Batman Eternal (I think it was), they sort of interacted, outside of their initial confrontation. Otherwise, nope. Which is a real shame, as Cass could have been the Batgirl to Jason's Robin (but in a sibling sort of way) or something to that effect.

Ultimate Member

Excellent series, though I do wish that it had been longer.

Always Rakzo

Satisfying enough ending, good character and fun moments (particularly the ones involving Cheetah), still not quite a fan of Taylor's sometimes simplistic and other times off characterization but gets the job done and the plot went to an interesting new development.

No complaints about the art at all, really well-detailed and gory. Solid series overall.

Not going to lie, i was really hoping Grundy make it through this, though i have to wonder if this will culminate with them having to deal with the infected Superman at some point.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Not going to lie, i was really hoping Grundy make it through this, though i have to wonder if this will culminate with them having to deal with the infected Superman at some point.
    Eh, Grundy should be fine, of all of them. He dies all the time.

I'm just a little disappointed that all the villains died, it would have been interesting to keep one or two around, IMO

Quote Originally Posted by Hulkout42 View Post
    Oh yeah there is no doubt in my mind we will see something akin to golden sun undead Superman, he’s in the sun eating it and I can just feel it coming.

I assume the surprise new cast member along with the original DCeased cast is needed for standing a chance power wise.
    Words to live by.

Tree Lobsters for life!!!

This was a really good mini. One of the better books I’ve read all year. Grundy and The Creeper are two of my favorite characters so that definitely increased my enjoyment of the story. One of the best showing for The Creeper in recent memory.

Ultimate Member

I think what I liked best was the fact that the villains weren't just cannon fodder for the zombies.

So damn many 'End of the World' elseworlds or whathave you, only use one or two top villains and the rest are just crowd scenes

Quote Originally Posted by Jackalope89 View Post

I count those as pro's. Unkillables giving us something that the main universe has thus far denied us.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by dietrich View Post
    I count those as pro's. Unkillables giving us something that the main universe has thus far denied us.
    So does Jack, he's just complaining that we've not seen that in canon, is all

I really need to see this version of The Creeper again! Taylor wrote him like a mix of Deadpool and the Batman: TAS version of the character. I’m wondering if there is a way The Creeper can come back. I mean he was able to survive being vivisected alive.