Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why

Default Why

So Dc is still making Diana play the sexist card justice-league-2.jpg

https://www.cbr.com/superman-justice-league-on-blast/

It's shown in the story they're all under the influence of the Spectre so I don't think much of these in the story are meant to be taken too seriously.

That said, yeah too many writers at DC and other media think she needs to go through a "not all men suck" character arc.

I don't see the problem with that panel personally. She's under the influence, and she's right. It sucks that she's the only woman on the team.

The issue is that it's kind of getting a little annoying for them to always have Diana be somewhat sexist. I alway kind of wonder just has much Diana is really sexist.

Quote Originally Posted by Nyssane View Post
    I don't see the problem with that panel personally. She's under the influence, and she's right. It sucks that she's the only woman on the team.
    All this.

I'm not even sure that's being sexist. She's not calling men inferior or anything like that, she's just pointing out that it sucks being the only girl in the room. Those are some of the biggest alpha personalities in DC, many of who are super macho in one way or another, and she's well aware that she's the only woman there, and Spectre's influence is just amplifying things. If we're calling that observation sexism then the meaning of the word is kinda falling apart isn't it?
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.

Quote Originally Posted by Ascended View Post
    All this.

I'm not even sure that's being sexist. She's not calling men inferior or anything like that, she's just pointing out that it sucks being the only girl in the room. Those are some of the biggest alpha personalities in DC, many of who are super macho in one way or another, and she's well aware that she's the only woman there, and Spectre's influence is just amplifying things. If we're calling that observation sexism then the meaning of the word is kinda falling apart isn't it?
    100%. There have been sexist depictions of Diana in the past, obviously, but this one I just don't see it.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Yeah, I thought green-eyed Superman saying "I'm always carrying the rest of you" was proof enough that everything being said was insincere and meant to instigate. None of this is how any of them think of their teammates. If anything, it's taking concerns and twisting them.

She usually is the only woman in that team. That sucks. I normally get mad when a writer has Amazons voice misandry but this is the antagonist messing with their heads.

Incredible Member

I'm more concerned about Wonder Woman needing to (barely) wear a cloak (presumably) for warmth when Aquaman is shirtless.

Is Diana now also susceptible to changes in temperature? I thought she'd always been far too durable / invulnerable for intense heat or cold to impact her too adversely. Didn't she used to fly through the upper atmosphere / space with no special covering or breathing equipment?

And that bloody sword!

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Agent 86 View Post
    I'm more concerned about Wonder Woman needing to (barely) wear a cloak (presumably) for warmth when Aquaman is shirtless.

Is Diana now also susceptible to changes in temperature? I thought she'd always been far too durable / invulnerable for intense heat or cold to impact her too adversely. Didn't she used to fly through the upper atmosphere / space with no special covering or breathing equipment?

And that bloody sword!
    Capes are fun to draw and look more regal. That's my guess.

Ugh, of course the only woman on the team has to be reduced to her gender, while the men get something that relates to them as characters. Cause she's "the girl".

The thing that bugs me about the panel isn't Wonder Woman calling out sexism, but the way she does it. She grew up on Themyscira, a place where there our gender roles simply do not exist. Her calling out sexism is framed as her having internalised patriarchy and its gender roles, rather than as coming entirely from outside them.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Wasn't Kendra still on the team a few weeks ago in-universe?

As others said, I don't think Diana's comment is sexist. But it is a very trite, hackneyed thing to have her complain about in a scene about the heroes revealing their dark, petty grievances.

I don't think we're supposed to read into it too deeply. Not just in her dialogue, but as someone pointed out, why is she wearing a cloak she doesn't need or still carrying the sword? She's the woman, so she complains about woman things.

It's an automatic pilot depiction of Wonder Woman. She's there to take up space and be a name on the marquis. Aquaman, too, if we're being honest. He's upset Diana judges him? When does she judge him? How?

Clearly, the meat of the scene is Superman calling the other heroes dead weight. That's the thing that matters and will likely be the issue going forward. Most of the other heroes might as well not be there.

You know...Justice League really sucks. I'm sorry, but it does and it kind of always has. I've been reading comics for years and it's something I've slowly come to realize: the Justice League--as a comic and permanent team--is trash. Every hero involved would be better off staying in their own books or spreading out to their own respective teams like Diana in Justice League Dark and when Batman is with the Outsiders.

But the big icons all together, on a constant monthly basis...they do not complement one another and really just diminish each other. And that's how we get portrayals of Wonder Woman like this or worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    As others said, I don't think Diana's comment is sexist. But it is a very trite, hackneyed thing to have her complain about in a scene about the heroes revealing their dark, petty grievances.

I don't think we're supposed to read into it too deeply. Not just in her dialogue, but as someone pointed out, why is she wearing a cloak she doesn't need or still carrying the sword? She's the woman, so she complains about woman things.

It's an automatic pilot depiction of Wonder Woman. She's there to take up space and be a name on the marquis. Aquaman, too, if we're being honest. He's upset Diana judges him? When does she judge him? How?

Clearly, the meat of the scene is Superman calling the other heroes dead weight. That's the thing that matters and will likely be the issue going forward. Most of the other heroes might as well not be there.

You know...Justice League really sucks. I'm sorry, but it does and it kind of always has. I've been reading comics for years and it's something I've slowly come to realize: the Justice League--as a comic and permanent team--is trash. Every hero involved would be better off staying in their own books or spreading out to their own respective teams like Diana in Justice League Dark and when Batman is with the Outsiders.

But the big icons all together, on a constant monthly basis...they do not complement one another and really just diminish each other. And that's how we get portrayals of Wonder Woman like this or worse.
    Would have to agree, for the Trinity characters in particular JL is where concepts like Bat-God get really out of hand while WW gets reduced to Angry Warrior Woman and Supes a moron.

Quote Originally Posted by Guy_McNichts View Post
    All of those comments are trite and hackneyed. I haven't read the issue but that seems to be the point.
    "We all know the truth: more connects us than separates us. But in times of crisis the wise build bridges, while the foolish build barriers. We must find a way to look after one another, as if we were one single tribe."

~ Black Panther.