Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    The thing that bugs me about the panel isn't Wonder Woman calling out sexism, but the way she does it. She grew up on Themyscira, a place where there our gender roles simply do not exist. Her calling out sexism is framed as her having internalised patriarchy and its gender roles, rather than as coming entirely from outside them.
    If we're going by her being the first public hero, she's been in man's world for at least 75 years. Drop in the pan with respect to her lifespan, but that's long enough for her to have grown very tired of that aspect of it.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    If we're going by her being the first public hero, she's been in man's world for at least 75 years. Drop in the pan with respect to her lifespan, but that's long enough for her to have grown very tired of that aspect of it.
    Sorry, but how old is she then?

I mean 75 years, would be MUCH of her life or?

I thought that its like in the movie, where she is a kid, grows up and then leaves Themyscira, so she is about lets say 95 years old?
    So being born on Themyscira, leaving it 20 years afterwards etc.

Black Belt in Bad Ideas Robanker's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Masterff View Post
    Sorry, but how old is she then?

I mean 75 years, would be MUCH of her life or?

I thought that its like in the movie, where she is a kid, grows up and then leaves Themyscira, so she is about lets say 95 years old?
    So being born on Themyscira, leaving it 20 years afterwards etc.
    She's immortal. Probably hundreds or thousands of years old.

BANNED
    Themyscira, Wundagore Mountain, Talok VIII

How is that sexist? Does that mean that a lone black person in a team of 10 white people is a racist if they comment on feeling uncomfortable about being the only person of color there? That makes no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    In that case, we have seen very little of that process.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by AmiMizuno View Post
    The issue is that it's kind of getting a little annoying for them to always have Diana be somewhat sexist. I alway kind of wonder just has much Diana is really sexist.
    She’s literally the only woman on the team. How does that make her sexist?

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaius View Post
    Would have to agree, for the Trinity characters in particular JL is where concepts like Bat-God get really out of hand while WW gets reduced to Angry Warrior Woman and Supes a moron.
    *shudders as I have flashbacks to that one time Batman stopped Wonder Woman from breathing because he kicked her in the stomach*

But yea, there's nothing sexist about this. Every day words continue to lose their meaning on the internet.

Quote Originally Posted by Natamaxxx View Post
    She’s literally the only woman on the team. How does that make her sexist?
    It's not that it's more of how things have gone in the past with DC and Diana. That she has said certain things many times about men.