Thread: Mutant names

Default Mutant names

Initially, the X-Men used superhero and supervillain names (such as "Cyclops" instead of Scott Summers) just because it's the usual thing in superhero comics. At some later point, however, it turned into a "cultural" thing of sorts: Scott Summers is the "human" name, and "Cyclops" is the "mutant" name. Who made this change first?

Quote Originally Posted by Ultimate Captain America View Post
    Initially, the X-Men used superhero and supervillain names (such as "Cyclops" instead of Scott Summers) just because it's the usual thing in superhero comics. At some later point, however, it turned into a "cultural" thing of sorts: Scott Summers is the "human" name, and "Cyclops" is the "mutant" name. Who made this change first?

I'm gonna miss this Apocalypse when they make him evil again.
    Some of us wait, some of us act.

Extraordinary Member

I doubt it originated there, but the first time I saw that was in an issue of "Ultimate X-Men" written by Brian Vaughan, where Longshot dismisses "Arthur" as "what the humans call me," in a parallel to the real-life practice of people changing their Westernized names (e.g. Cassius Clay/Muhammad Ali).

Ultimate X-Men already did it in the first issue, but it's from 2001. Isn't this a bit older than that?

Pyro in X1 in 2000. Reprised by Mystique in X3. Its not a new concept for Mutants and still valid...
    Last edited by Thirteen; 05-21-2020 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Changed video clip for redundancy