Thread: Where To Start

All-New Member

Post Where To Start

Hello there,
    I am a big Star Wars fan love the movies and I am interested in the comics but have no idea where to start. Would anyone be able to provide some assistance in where is best to begin. Any ideas on where to get a bundle of comics, I don't mind second hand or new but would much prefer a physical copy.
    Thanks in Advance

iMan 42s

The best answer is to start wherever you feel the most comfortable. If something looks good then pick it up. Plenty has been released and collected in trade with Marvel having gone and reprinted the older Darkhorse content though you can find Darkhorses own out in the wild.

A lot of them tend to be pretty good with my recommendations being the Darth Vader books, Son of Dathomir, Poe Dameron, Tie Fighter, and Target Vader. Though really you can start anywhere.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

The core Star Wars books that Marvel rebooted is a few years back is a good starting point (Star Wars, Darth Vader &, Dr. Aphra) is a good place. If you have Amazon Kindle Unlimited most of them are included with it!
    Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting

Marvel pretty much launched their new comic line in 2014, when they pretty much started to role out the new continuity.

Marvel's first run (1977-1986) and Dark Horse's long run (1991-2013) are no longer in continuity (With one or two exceptions like "Son of Dathomir") but do feature some pretty good comics among them.

Marvel has generally reprinted or made digitally available all the earlier stuff as well.

As noted the SW main title, DV and Aphra are the 'core' titles and are set around the OT time period for the most part (Although the second Vader series is set between the trilogies). There have also been several miniseries and one-shots usually focused on one character, and they deal with all eras. Marvel has also published movie adaptations of the Disney films.

A new set of comics/novels etc is coming out soon, "The High Republic" which will take place during the golden age of the Republic and Jedi, a few centuries prior to the movies.

There was a Poe Dameron comic that lasted for a few years and is mostly about his activity just before, during, and after TFA with a bit of TLJ thrown in, such as his search for Lor San Tekka.

A great deal of the Star Wars stuff Dark Horse published mainly tied in with the Expanded Universe of the time which is no longer canon (although certain elements have been 'reworked' to fit the new materials).

Among them:

Dark Empire (1991)-Deals with Luke facing off against a resurrected Emperor (sound familiar?) and also falling to the dark side himself. Dated, but still an interesting read especially given the direction the films went.

X-wing Rogue Squadron (1994-1997?) A prequel of sorts to Michael Stackpole's novel series about the Rebellion's elite squadron after the Battle of Endor.

Star Wars Republic (1999-2006 I think) Comic that dealt with the prequel era, including the Jedi Quinlan Vos (Who has also been reworked into the new canon) but also Anakin, Obi-Wan, Mace and the other Jedi. The Clone Wars issues are particuarly good, although they tell a somewhat different story of the war than the CG series did (No Ashoka, although Ventress is around). This was later followed by "Dark Times" and the "Purge" series which dealt with Jedi trying to survive post-Order 66. In addition, there was "Empire" and "Rebellion" which told tales set during the OT.

Tales of the Jedi-Set of epic miniseries dealing with the earlier Jedi/Sith wars. Set thousands of years before the movies.

Knights of the Old Republic-Also set thousands of years earlier, but created because of-and as a partial prequel to-the video game series. Also more light-hearted, somewhat similar in tone to the cartoon "Rebels" in a few ways.

There were also several Darth Vader comics towards the end, the most acclaimed being "The Ghost Prison". This might've given Marvel some of the idea to continue that trend.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

Since this thread has run its original course, I'd like to revive it and co-opt for my own purposes based on the title:

Having no involvement in this universe whatsoever I want what you guys think is the best way to navigate this universe, obviously with where to start.
    I know there's some weird thing going on with Luke, Leia, and Han...I don't care about this. So as little of this as possible would be great. Thank you.

Put a smile on that face Immortal Weapon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TheRay View Post
    Since this thread has run its original course, I'd like to revive it and co-opt for my own purposes based on the title:

Having no involvement in this universe whatsoever I want what you guys think is the best way to navigate this universe, obviously with where to start.
    I know there's some weird thing going on with Luke, Leia, and Han...I don't care about this. So as little of this as possible would be great. Thank you.
    If you want Disney+ start with the Mandalorian. You really don't need to know a thing about Star Wars to enjoy it. The show is small scale and does a good job easing viewers into the larger universe when it comes knocking.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I'd start with the Clone Wars Cartoon, then jump into Bad Batch, Rebels and then Solo and Rogue One

If you mean the movies, watching them in production order is generally the best way IMO. The story starts in the "middle" with the original trilogy Episodes IV-VI which pretty much lays down the basic conflict, characters and mythology, than does a prequel trilogy fleshing out the origins of Vader, the Empire etc. The sequel trilogy catches up with the OT characters years later as they've drifted apart but help out a new generation of heroes. Although the widely available versions of the original trilogy have been altered, first in 1997, then on home video quite a few times since. (The prequels also have a few minor changes for their home release)

Rogue One sets up parts of the first film-notably fleshing out the "first battle" in the opening scroll-but is not necessarily required viewing but is very good. Solo gives history on Han before the OT but also isn't needed to enjoy the OT. It's OK but generally wasn't as well received.

Clone Wars deals with the conflict between Episodes II and III. Rebels shows some of the earlier days of the Rebellion through the eyes of a small cell. Mandalorian deals with the underbelly of Star Wars to a degree but also is connected to the larger story, and takes place between the OT and the sequel trilogy.
    chrism227.wordpress.com Info and opinions on a variety of interests.

https://twitter.com/chrisprtsmouth

What are the pros and cons with starting with production order vs chronology? I tend to be a huge chronology person, but I'll take your word for it if the best experience is really to start with irl chronology.

Mighty Member

What are the pros and cons with starting with production order vs chronology? I tend to be a huge chronology person, but I'll take your word for it if the best experience is really to start with irl chronology.
    If you watch in chronological order, major plot points will be spoiled for parts V and VI and there will be a few "huh, why isn't that character here" moments in IV. Also, the effects work is pretty drastically different, so it's quite jarring to go from III (2005) to IV (1977) with respect to both visual effects and stunts. Pacing, too, is quite a bit different. First time through, I highly recommend mostly going in production order (4,5,6,1,2,3,7,8,9, then move to Rogue One and Solo if you want).
    Blue text denotes sarcasm