Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    Hmmm, actually. I kinda like the idea of it being Catwoman. She'll still have ties to Batman, and if she knows Bruce is Batman, she can work with Fox still and know where the Bat Cave is. Plus, taking up her loves mantle is kinda poetic in a way.
    It might made sense in universe, but not really from a marketing/brand perspective. Catwoman is just way more iconic and popular then Batwoman.
    Last edited by Aahz; 06-08-2020 at 12:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    It might made sense in universe, but not really from a marketing/brand perspective. Catwoman is just way more iconic and popular then Batwoman.
    Agreed, brand wise it would just be odd.
    Would also likely be a middle-age Catwoman if she is a contemporary of Batman, since in the Arrowverse Batman is in his forties.

I'm not opposed to a Catwoman series, I don't think they could because she is to appear in the Batman film, but if they did they would call the show Catwoman not Batwoman.

It's one letter off, they could easily just claw out the 'B' and replace it with a 'C.'

Kinda sucks for this to have to happen though. If it's really an entirely new character I can't see a reason for any one to stick around and watch.
    It's the Dynamic Duo! Batman and Robin!... and Red Robin and Red Hood and Nightwing and Batwoman and Batgirl and Orphan and Spoiler and Bluebird and Lark and Gotham Girl and Talon and Batwing and Huntress and Azreal and Flamebird and Batcow?

Since when could just anybody do what we trained to do? It makes it all dumb instead of special. Like it doesn't matter anymore.
    -Dick Grayson (Batman Inc.)

Quote Originally Posted by Pohzee View Post
    If it's really an entirely new character I can't see a reason for any one to stick around and watch.
    https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-showrun...ne-not-recast/

"Greg helped me make this call — and he’s way smarter than me about this sort of stuff — he’s like, 'You know, I think we should just reboot the character in terms of reboot Batwoman as a different character.' Just to also respect everything that Ruby [Rose] put into the Kate Kane character," Dries said in her interview with Julie Plec.

"I just think it helps the audience a little bit, too, that we’re not asking them to not address the elephant in the room," Dries continued. "I’m inventing a whole new character. In her past, she was inspired by Batwoman. She is going to take on the mantle and is completely maybe not be the right person at the time to be doing it. That’s what makes it fun."
    And the description for the replacement character:
    https://twitter.com/Pagmyst/status/1267895372023660544

Ryan Wilder is about to become Batwoman. She's likable, messy, a little goofy and untamed. She's also nothing like Kate Kane, the woman who wore the batsuit before her. With no one in her life to keep her on track, Ryan spent years as a drug-runner, dodging the GCPD and masking her pain with bad habits.

Today, reformed and sober, Ryan lives in her van with her plant. A girl who would steal milk for an alley cat and could also kill you with her bare hands, Ryan is the most dangerous type of fighter: highly skilled and wildly undisciplined. An out lesbian. Athletic. Raw. Passionate. Fallible. And very much not your steretypical All-American hero.

Totally won't watch. They should just recast Kate, period.

Quote Originally Posted by Oberon View Post
    Totally won't watch. They should just recast Kate, period.
    I think the thing that worries me most is that they will have Kate Kane die or be injurred in the comics to be replaced by the CW character so they can have synergy in the comics! They did that with Supergirl and made her more girly in the comics! I miss angry Supergirl, I miss Supergirl who was so angry that she attracted a Red Lantern ring! I miss Supergirl who has less restraint than Superman because she didn't grow up on Earth, and tends to be more aggressive than Superman! That was one of the big things that made her a great character is that she wasn't identical to Superman and she carried way more baggage than he did over the destruction of Krypton because she actually witnessed it happening!

Kate Kane revitalized Batwoman and I loved it! Even in the comics Bruce has admitted that she is exceptional at hand to hand combat because of her military training and because she was drilled by her father when she decided to become Batwoman in the first place!

I am probably done with the CW series, I get the feeling that they thought "Kate Kane" is too dark in her personality, and they want a new character that is more upbeat like Supergirl is in the CW series!
    We are MUTANT..Krakoa, FOREVER!!! “Liberté, Égalité, Fraternité”

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Digifiend View Post
    Didn't Arrow end with hints of Diggle becoming Green Lantern? If so, he's not original at all, and is instead a case of Canon Character All Along, like Skye from Agents of SHIELD, who turned out to be Daisy Johnson, aka Quake. He's a renamed John Stewart.

Harrison Wells isn't technically a new character either. Has the owner of STAR Labs ever appeared in the comics (maybe in Cyborg's backstory)? Because that's what he is. He's also a non-powered counterpart of Johnny Quick, considering Jesse Quick's last name is Wells, instead of Chambers like in the comics.
    Diggle was created as an original character. Due to his resemblance to John Stewart, and his military background, him being John Stewart became a popular fan theory and massive meme that was eventually acknowledged in-universe and then made true in the finale.

Harrison Wells is a stand-in for whoever was the founder of STAR Labs in the comics. But fundamentally the character is original to the show.

Felicity Smoak is, IMO, an original character too, despite the fact that her name was taken from an obscure character from the comics (Firestorm, not Green Arrow). The use of the name was basically an easter egg.

Sara Lance is also arguably an original character, but in her case the line gets a little blurred. You can make an argument that she's an adaptation of the comic-book Black Canary, blending elements of the Golden Age (the 'original' Canary, cop dad, no 'canary cry') and modern version (League of Assassins training, relationship with Oliver Queen, cop dad again). Though as White Canary on Legends, she's gone more into OG character territory again.

Quote Originally Posted by randomideaguy View Post
    LGBT actresses needed the work. Especially when Kate specifically has arcs related to being gay - it would be kinda skeevy to profit off of such a narrative and cast a straight actress to play it.

Still really unhappy that they are not recasting Kate. This is soooo dumb of the show.
    My problem isn't an LGBT actress playing the role (though a straight actress playing the role isn't a deal-breaker for me either. IMO, the only criteria shouls be the ability to pull it off convincingly).

The problem I have is that when you replace Kate Kane with another lesbian, you're basically signalling that it doesn't matter who's under the mask...as long as they're a lesbian. Batwoman's defining trait becomes her sexual orientation - not her connection to the Batman legacy, not her status as Gotham's new savior, not even her being a woman. Batwoman as a character may be an LGBT icon, but the character isn't really defined by her sexual orientation. She's a former soldier (well, cadet) related to and inspired by Batman, who wanted to find another way to serve. And yes, in her personal life, she happens to be into women. Being a lesbian shouldn't be the only qualification (or hell, even a qualification) to be Batwoman, in-universe or in the real world.

Extraordinary Member

I’ll miss the ongoing dynamic of Supergirl (Superman’s cousin) with Batwoman (Batman’s cousin).

That’s something you can’t do without Kate Kane.

Also, if we get a new woman. The argument becomes why not Luke (Lucious Fox’s son) or Julia (Alfred’s daughter) become Gotham’s new vigilante? Why this new girl?

Quote Originally Posted by Zaresh View Post
    Hummm...
    What if they introduce Batgirl to this verse as Batwoman? Or one of them at least. Maybe a Cass Batgirl/Batwoman. Edit: nevermind, I just saw the call.

Or they try a Batman Beyond approach.
    That would've worked with Barbara. If Batman's been active for 15 years and Batgirl started as a teenager, she'd now be about 30. And someone that age would certainly want to be -woman, not -girl (Sue Richards from Fantastic Four is an example of this, she went from Invisible Girl to Invisible Woman).
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Rumors CW wants Vanessa Morgan to be the new Batwoman:
    https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-riverda...e-replacement/

If she isn't Kate Kane (which she won't be), not watching.

The petition has gotten more than 500 now. Maybe it will make it to 1000.
    If nothing else, at least it might let CW know the fanbase isn't happy, even though they will likely continue to ignore it.

https://www.change.org/p/the-cw-keep...ne-as-batwoman

Still, I'm moving on from the Arrowverse. Are the Marvel Netflix shows worth watching, despite being cancelled before completion? I'm not keen to finish on sudden unresolved cliffhangers.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    The petition has gotten more than 500 now. Maybe it will make it to 1000.
    If nothing else, at least it might let CW know the fanbase isn't happy, even though they will likely continue to ignore it.

https://www.change.org/p/the-cw-keep...ne-as-batwoman

Still, I'm moving on from the Arrowverse. Are the Marvel Netflix shows worth watching, despite being cancelled before completion? I'm not keen to finish on sudden unresolved cliffhangers.
    I'm just curious and not trying to start anything, as I may stop watching Batwoman too, as I love Kate (I'll watch the first few episodes however). But do you not enjoy any of the other great Arrowverse shows? Or Stargirl? (Which is not in the Arrowverse, but again, just curious).
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Quote Originally Posted by Power Torch View Post
    I'm just curious and not trying to start anything, as I may stop watching Batwoman too, as I love Kate (I'll watch the first few episodes however). But do you not enjoy any of the other great Arrowverse shows? Or Stargirl? (Which is not in the Arrowverse, but again, just curious).
    I used to love The Flash, but the show has really gone down hill, I can take it or leave it but really I don't care anymore. Supergirl I was mostly watching because it was supposed to eventually tie in with Batwoman. Legends, take or leave, meh. I haven't seen Black Lightning because it wasn't part of the Arrowverse until recently, was planning to catch-up, but now, meh.

Stargirl looks way too much like Supergirl, which I only tolerated due to the now defunct Batwoman tie-ins. I might give it a chance in a couple of months when I'm not so p***ed off with the CW for sh***ing all over my favourite comics character. It's DCU, not CW anyway, so maybe one day.

Someone posted an audition:

https://vimeo.com/426076273

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    I used to love The Flash, but the show has really gone down hill, I can take it or leave it but really I don't care anymore. Supergirl I was mostly watching because it was supposed to eventually tie in with Batwoman. Legends, take or leave, meh. I haven't seen Black Lightning because it wasn't part of the Arrowverse until recently, was planning to catch-up, but now, meh.

Stargirl looks way too much like Supergirl, which I only tolerated due to the now defunct Batwoman tie-ins. I might give it a chance in a couple of months when I'm not so p***ed off with the CW for sh***ing all over my favourite comics character. It's DCU, not CW anyway, so maybe one day.

Well I know you're upset, and I understand it. I highly recommend Black Lightning it's been fantastic and has really no connection to the Arrowverse still.

But in the end, I understand why you're upset. And you vote with your views, so it makes sense.
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. DC: Poison Ivy.
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!