Page 4 of 20 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Seems a lot of people want Wallis Day to be the new Kate Kane:
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...s-day-krypton/

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I'm not going to speculate on why she decided to leave. We don't know--there could be any number of reasons that she might have had, that she can't reveal now--and those reasons might take years to come out. I didn't learn about Dick York's struggles until decades after he left BEWITCHED.

Personally, I would just as soon they cancelled the show but kept the cast and crew for another Batman related series. I just can't think what would work--it would have to have a strong connection to Batman--but I believe most other properties are already spoken for. There was already a GOTHAM, there is a PENNYWORTH--Batman himself is a movie property--we've had Birds of Prey, Harley Quinn and Joker movies and it seems like they want to keep Batgirl for a future movie project. The female Question would fit the LGBTQ casting, but there isn't a strong enough connection to Batman there. Maybe bring Lightning to Gotham and have her head up the Outsiders.

But I can see why the producers need to keep the series going. They don't really make their money on a TV series until after it's finished. They have to have enough episodes in the can to sell it to syndication and streaming. And they want to keep their jobs. That's hundreds of people on the payroll--and one person leaving shouldn't put all those other people out of work.

Given the CW shows won't come back until January 2021, they have time to plan. The original post-Crisis DCU didn't really consolidate until about a year after the series. So that could be the case in the Arrowverse. They could do a mini-crossover to relaunch the CW shows in 2020 that would double as the pilot episode for the Superman & Lois show. An upheaval in the multiverse leads Superman and a few other heroes (not Flash nor Batwoman nor Supergirl) to battle a big bad (someone like the Time Trapper) and the aftermath is a shake-up on Earth-Prime.

That wouldn't just help BATWOMAN, it would help the other series as they all will have to adjust to the changes wrought by COVID-19. I wonder how many actors and production staff will actually be able to return. This long hiatus could have other repercussions in the coming months. So they would be best to give themselves a restore point to come back.
    They can't - there is no multiverse after Crisis, and it's a bit too early to make a new one.

Quote Originally Posted by signalman112 View Post
    They already have a built in answer.
    Kate is captured by Alice and then Alice gives Kate a new face.
    God no, last thing we need is some face transplant storyline for the lead.

Best answer is don't bother explaining it. Just recast and move on, maybe make a joke, but don't have her being a different actress be a plot point.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    They can't - there is no multiverse after Crisis, and it's a bit too early to make a new one.
    There is a multiverse after Crisis on Infinite Earths this is established by showing Stargirl, Doom Patrol, Teen Titans, Swamp Thing, and Brandon Routh's Superman on different Earths at the end.

God no, last thing we need is some face transplant storyline for the lead.

Best answer is don't bother explaining it. Just recast and move on, maybe make a joke, but don't have her being a different actress be a plot point.

That is the best answer, just don't bother explaining it just make a joke in the first episode and in the crossover, and move on, but if there has too be an explanation just make it Batwoman is injured in a bomb blast that requires her to have reconstructive surgery.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    There is a multiverse after Crisis on Infinite Earths this is established by showing Stargirl, Doom Patrol, Teen Titans, Swamp Thing, and Brandon Routh's Superman on different Earths at the end.

That is the best answer, just don't bother explaining it just make a joke in the first episode and in the crossover, and move on, but if there has too be an explanation just make it Batwoman is injured in a bomb blast that requires her to have reconstructive surgery.
    Yeah, but that is in contrast to everything the CW heroes have said, that the multiverse is gone and they can detect no other universe beyond their own. Plus they won't crossover with those shows. So it's kind of conflicting.

Another actress who want the role:
    https://www.cbr.com/batwoman-magicia...ace-ruby-rose/

Well Stargirl maybe.

Also a new multiverse can also mean new ways to detect them and new ways to get there and that the heroes don't know about them yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyberstrike View Post
    There is no addressing it, Kate gets a drastic haircut because she needed a change, that is all.

Other shows have recast their lead character:
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...ey-survived/#1

Of the fancasts so far, Wallis Day has the most resemblance to RR, physically:
    Source: https://twitter.com/wallisday/status/878511143614132225
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-22-2020 at 11:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    There is no addressing it, Kate gets a drastic haircut because she needed a change, that is all.

Other shows have recast their lead character:
    https://comicbook.com/tv-shows/news/...ey-survived/#1
    In most (not all) of the cases on that list, the character left with the actor, and a new character/actor - new name, new backstory, somewhat different personality - filled in the narrative role of the previous character.

They could do that with Kate/Batwoman if they wanted to, but I don't think they will. They could use some soap-operish face transplant/reconstructive surgery/whatever to replace the actor and not the character. Or, as people said, they could just put in a new actor and say nothing about it at all. (The new Darrin looked a lot like the old Darrin. But the new Becky didn't look much like the old Becky at all.)

I don't have a dog in this fight (and please do not have dog fights - they're cruel!), but I am curious to see what they'll do.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    They could do that with Kate/Batwoman if they wanted to, but I don't think they will.
    No point in having a season 2 if they do that, it has to still be Kate Kane/Batwoman or there's no point, it'd be an entirely new show otherwise and cannot be called Batwoman.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Caivu View Post
    No, they haven't. It has an above-average rating for the network and is currently their third-highest-rated show.
    I think it was said that it was their third-highest-rated show in 2019, the thing is just that the the second half of the season that aired in 2020 had much lower Ratings, and the Ratings of the arrowverse shows are in general only a fraction of what they initially were.

In the beginning Arrow and Flash had 3 Million+ viewers per episode, at the moment most of the shows (including Batwoman) are down to 600-800K viewers per episode, only Flash is a little bit higher with roughly 1.25 viewers per episode.

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    No point in having a season 2 if they do that, it has to still be Kate Kane/Batwoman or there's no point, it'd be an entirely new show otherwise and cannot be called Batwoman.
    I'm not certain that's true. If Kate Kane is killed or incapacitated, another woman - with whatever convoluted connection to Kate, Bruce, Luke, and/or Alice - could take over the role. This happens in comics. (I still don't consider it likely here.)
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Bifrost View Post
    I'm not certain that's true. If Kate Kane is killed or incapacitated, another woman - with whatever convoluted connection to Kate, Bruce, Luke, and/or Alice - could take over the role. This happens in comics. (I still don't consider it likely here.)
    At which point it becomes the Flamebird show, or the Batwing show, or whatever Julia Pennyworth's mantle is when she's doing her vigilante thing - but not the Batwoman show.

Retired

After the Crisis in 1986, the publisher insisted there was only one universe and one timeline. Yet immediately after the D.C.U. was created the continuity kept shifting. Some of this was explained as being like aftershocks and the continuity hadn't completed resolved itself. You had one continuity in THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE. Another in Byrne's MAN OF STEEL. A new new version of Captain Atom. One version of Hawkman after Crisis, a different after HAWKWORLD. One Jason Todd after Crisis, another after "Batman: Year One." One Hal Jordan after Crisis, another after EMERALD DAWN. And so on with several characters. And yet this was all supposed to be in one universe in one continuity. Until finally they did ZERO HOUR, but after that there was still supposed to be only one universe and not a multiverse.

So I see an opening to explain away the changes in continuity in the Arrowverse, post-Crisis, as the universe still trying to get its act together.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Yeah, but that is in contrast to everything the CW heroes have said, that the multiverse is gone and they can detect no other universe beyond their own. Plus they won't crossover with those shows. So it's kind of conflicting.
    To me the conflict is intentional. They've explained that the Earth-Prime heroes can't detect other universes, using the methods from before. So as far as they know, there is no multiverse. To them it seems like there is only one universe. That leaves the door open for them to discover the multiverse later. To me that all makes sense and I don't see it as an error.

What doesn't make sense is that there were only seven paragons and they, plus Lena and Nash, remembered the old multiverse and the old continuity. Everyone else, post-Crisis, was supposed to have no memories of that and to them the post-Crisis continuity was the way things had always been. The only reason they knew otherwise was because Martian Manhunter gave them a headache. But a character like Cisco on THE FLASH should know the post-Crisis continuity like the back of his hand and it should be the old continuity that confuses him--whereas they've played it the other way around on THE FLASH--as if all the main cast members are from the old continuity and are surprised by this new world.

All of these cracks in reality could be explained as the universe resettling, like a house after an earthquake.

I don't like the soap opera solution, like with Roman Brady on DAYS OF OUR LIVES, where you have actors of different heights and body shapes who are supposed to be the same character after a facelift. That's what frustrates me about Mouse. I can buy that he can become someone else if they are more or less physically similar to him, but it doesen't make sense within the rules they've given us that he can become people who are so far different from him.

If he was Clayface, I could buy that.

If they use face-switching for Kate Kane, then they would have to get an actress physically similar to Ruby Rose for me to buy it. And I think they should have the freedom to cast the best actress for the part, without trying to make her look similar to Ruby Rose. That's why some cosmic explanation--the Spectre burped--would work better for me.
    Last edited by Jim Kelly; 05-23-2020 at 08:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    After the Crisis in 1986, the publisher insisted there was only one universe and one timeline. Yet immediately after the D.C.U. was created the continuity kept shifting. Some of this was explained as being like aftershocks and the continuity hadn't completed resolved itself. You had one continuity in THE HISTORY OF THE DC UNIVERSE. Another in Byrne's MAN OF STEEL. A new new version of Captain Atom. One version of Hawkman after Crisis, a different after HAWKWORLD. One Jason Todd after Crisis, another after "Batman: Year One." One Hal Jordan after Crisis, another after EMERALD DAWN. And so on with several characters. And yet this was all supposed to be in one universe in one continuity. Until finally they did ZERO HOUR, but after that there was still supposed to be only one universe and not a multiverse.

So I see an opening to explain away the changes in continuity in the Arrowverse, post-Crisis, as the universe still trying to get its act together.

To me the conflict is intentional. They've explained that the Earth-Prime heroes can't detect other universes, using the methods from before. So as far as they know, there is no multiverse. To them it seems like there is only one universe. That leaves the door open for them to discover the multiverse later. To me that all makes sense and I don't see it as an error.

What doesn't make sense is that there were only seven paragons and they, plus Lena and Nash, remembered the old multiverse and the old continuity. Everyone else, post-Crisis, was supposed to have no memories of that and to them the post-Crisis continuity was the way things had always been. The only reason they knew otherwise was because Martian Manhunter gave them a headache. But a character like Cisco on THE FLASH should know the post-Crisis continuity like the back of his hand and it should be the old continuity that confuses him--whereas they've played it the other way around on THE FLASH--as if all the main cast members are from the old continuity and are surprised by this new world.

All of these cracks in reality could be explained as the universe resettling, like a house after an earthquake.

I don't like the soap opera solution, like with Roman Brady on DAYS OF OUR LIVES, where you have actors of different heights and body shapes who are supposed to be the same character after a facelift. That's what frustrates me about Mouse. I can buy that he can become someone else if they are more or less physically similar to him, but it doesen't make sense within the rules they've given us that he can become people who are so far different from him.

If he was Clayface, I could buy that.

If they use face-switching for Kate Kane, then they would have to get an actress physically similar to Ruby Rose for me to buy it. And I think they should have the freedom to cast the best actress for the part, without trying to make her look similar to Ruby Rose. That's why some cosmic explanation--the Spectre burped--would work better for me.
    It would work better for you, but not for everyone. No matter how they do it, it just can't work for everyone. But I suspect it'll work better for a majority if they just don't bother explaining it.

This article has an extensive list of possible candidates:
    https://www.looper.com/211169/underr...e-as-batwoman/

Their list is:
    Stephanie Beatriz
    Jane Levy
    Rachelle Lefevre
    Bridget Regan
    Phoebe Tonkin
    Ashley Platz
    Alexandra Daddario

IMO not that keen on any of their suggestions, but we'll see what happens.
    Still going to agree with the apparent majority that Wallis Day seems best.
    Last edited by Bat-Meal; 05-23-2020 at 09:57 PM. Reason: typo