Page 8 of 20 FirstFirst ... 45678910111218 ... LastLast

For the record, I don't actually believe these rumors, not at this stage - I think the sites are just desperate for clicks.
    Replacing Kate just because RR left is too stupid, I find it hard to swallow that they would be that dumb, and still try to pass the show off as Batwoman.
    They could make a whole new show with a whole new character of course, that's fine, and name it after whatever that character's mantle is.

Writer At Comic Watch Dylan Davison's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    For the record, I don't actually believe these rumors, not at this stage - I think the sites are just desperate for clicks.
    Replacing Kate just because RR left is too stupid, I find it hard to swallow that they would be that dumb, and still try to pass the show off as Batwoman.
    They could make a whole new show with a whole new character of course, that's fine, and name it after whatever that character's mantle is.
    I don't want to believe it, but I could see them doing it. Don't know how they would explain her being gone or how she becomes the new Batwoman. I'm not sure on Entertainment Weekly's credibility, but they don't seem like a fake news kinda company. I wonder who their source is....

If it is true, I'll give it a chance, but I may stop watching it. Not the whole Arrowverse (we should pick a new name) but, just Batwoman.

However. This could also be a CW casting takeout too. Say it's that role, then turns out it's Kate. Or maybe even pull a whole Batman vs Joker thing and wipe her memory, so she becomes this new person (only to gain it back later).

I don't know, I trust the people behind this show. Hope they do right.
    PLEASE READ CLOAK & DAGGER IN SAVAGE AVENGERS!
    Pulls:
    Coffin: La Muerta, Lady Death, Hellwitch. Valiant: Shadowman. Marvel: Savage Avengers, She Hulk. Dynamite: Vampirella.
    Support Indie Comics: Coffin Comics, Lion Forge, and so much more!!!
    Check Out My Comic Reviews And More At Comic Watch!

Extraordinary Member

I want this show to succeed.

Heck, if TPTB allowed, I can see a Warren Christie Batman CW shown in 5 years.

Amazing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Bat-Meal View Post
    If any of this is true, I give-up, the series is ruined and I'm done with the Arrowverse:
    https://tvline.com/2020/06/02/batwom...ces-kate-kane/
    https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/li...arture-1296951

It's the stupidest decision they could make. RR doesn't define Kate Kane, but Kate Kane IS Batwoman - just recast, or don't call the show Batwoman.
    I agree. For people comparing it to Gotham, you are wrong. Because Gotham wasn't about Batman. Bruce wasn't the main attraction. It was Gotham City, mainly the GCPD and the rogues.

Kate Kane is Batwoman. This is her show. I'm sorry for all her fans if this happens. Fingers crossed.

Years, decades of watching serial/episodic TV both day time soaps or prime time -" Fallon " was recast from the '80s Dynasty, etc. - many characters have actors/recast actors, they try for the best likeness they can find, and go with it. They don't need to explain possibly only slight differences in the facial/voice etc.

Having said that, they should have/keep Kate missing or away for about 2 episodes, in which both Luke and Mary try to hold down the fort, as Batwing, and yes, Flamebird. The character of Mary is very lighthearted and in the vein of many of FB's tropes and appearances, overall. Why can't her costume have a blonde wig, the way that Kate's had a red wig? Some of this can be played mostly straight though there should be some comedic moments and also instances of why "they are not Batwoman"

though going forward, Kate's return in # 3 could present an arc similar to her and Bette's in BW's first volume; Plebian, "PLEB" et al. She trains them better to help.

Extraordinary Member

Whether she’s recasted or a new character is Batwoman, do you think they’ll keep the same Batwoman costume and look?

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    Whether she’s recasted or a new character is Batwoman, do you think they’ll keep the same Batwoman costume and look?
    A new character probably means a new costume. One big question would be how would she have gotten Kate's costume. Unless maybe she stole it from Kate's corpse.
    Recasting might have meant keeping the same costume. After all it is still Kate so why the need for a new costume all of a sudden? Plus keeping the same costume
    helps establish this is still Kate, even if the face looks different for some reason.

Batwoman has a such a definitive, consistent, look...unless they go with Kathy Kane's suit, but that's doubtful.

Retired

In terms of continuity with the Arrowverse, I'd prefer that they cast Bex Taylor-Klaus, who is already established as Sin. They had a relationship with Sara Lance, they were street homeless, they have skills and experience in battle. The description of "Ryan Wilder" matches with their back story of Sin (although I don't think Sin lived in a van down by the river ).

It wouldn't make Batman comic book fans happy, but it would make sense relative to the other CW shows. Give Bex a chance, they earned it.

Maybe the show will become a true ensemble--with Batwoman being an ideal and many LGBTQ characters all emulating that example. A quest for Batwoman/Kate Kane could be the arc of the second season. Then in season three they find Kate but now played by a different actor. This would give them a buffer to ease into the casting change, while spotlighting the other characters in the series.

Bluebird

Probably something similar to the first suit without the exposed neck.

I suggested this idea elsewhere. If they wanted to introduce a new Batwoman and have it somewhat fit, the could introduce Helena Wayne, daughter of Bruce and Selina. She is Batwoman in one of the alternate Universes. But it might be fun to do something with that character.
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by LordMikel View Post
    I suggested this idea elsewhere. If they wanted to introduce a new Batwoman and have it somewhat fit, the could introduce Helena Wayne, daughter of Bruce and Selina. She is Batwoman in one of the alternate Universes. But it might be fun to do something with that character.
    But we’ve already been introduced to 44 year old Bruce.

Retired

Bruce would therefore be old enough to have a daughter that could be active (in her teens or early twenties). And because we don't know Catwoman's ethnicity in this universe, that gives them some latitude in casting the new character, if it's her daughter.

Astonishing Member

This rumor about a new character is seriously disappointing, if true. This is the kind of move you could maybe consider when you've done five seasons of a show...not ONE season! Would anyone have been okay with Flash Season 2 starting with Wally West suddenly replacing Barry Allen? Or Arrow Season 2 starting with Diggle replacing Oliver Queen?

I really don't understand the reason for not just doing a recast. Its not even like Ruby Rose (as great as she was in the role IMO) has played Batwoman forever and is now 'owns' the role in a way that makes a recast impossible. She's not RDJ or Hugh Jackman. Or even Stephen Amell for that matter.

Frankly, this decision (again, if its true) would be a bit demeaning to Batwoman as a character. I mean, you wouldn't turn Batman into, I dunno, some random new dude named Tom Weston, just because the last actor playing Bruce Wayne quit. You'd recast Bruce Wayne in a jiffy, because Batman IS Bruce Wayne (well, there are other Batmen too, but you get what I mean). Why isn't Kate Kane accorded the same respect?

Then there's the insistence that the next actress and the character will be from the LGBTQ community. So is Batwoman just a mantle that can be worn by any lesbian? Is her being a lesbian the one defining trait of the mantle, over and above the actual character of Kate Kane, her relationships, and her story so far? That's pretty insulting, if you really think about it.

As an aside, if they DO insist on a new character taking the mantle, I think the one character other than Kate who truly deserves the mantle is Kathy Kane, the original comic-book Batwoman. I've always hoped they introduce her on the show, and while this isn't ideal, it could work.

Kathy would just be a few years older than Kate...the much younger widow of one of Kate's uncles. She's a bit of an adventurer, traveling the globe participating in extreme sports, expeditions and what-not (though we gradually learn she's been involved in covert ops and stuff of that nature - the whole Spyral backstory from the comics comes into play here). She returns to Gotham for some reason, and ends up taking on the Batwoman mantle initially as a cover for some other mission, but then decides to stick around once she realizes who the original Batwoman was and the fact that Kate is gone.

Kathy wouldn't be a lesbian of course (though her being bi could work). And they could introduce a backstory of her having a past romance with Bruce, and knowing his identity, as a nod to the comics.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    This rumor about a new character is seriously disappointing, if true. This is the kind of move you could maybe consider when you've done five seasons of a show...not ONE season! Would anyone have been okay with Flash Season 2 starting with Wally West suddenly replacing Barry Allen? Or Arrow Season 2 starting with Diggle replacing Oliver Queen?

I really don't understand the reason for not just doing a recast. Its not even like Ruby Rose (as great as she was in the role IMO) has played Batwoman forever and is now 'owns' the role in a way that makes a recast impossible. She's not RDJ or Hugh Jackman. Or even Stephen Amell for that matter.

Frankly, this decision (again, if its true) would be a bit demeaning to Batwoman as a character. I mean, you wouldn't turn Batman into, I dunno, some random new dude named Tom Weston, just because the last actor playing Bruce Wayne quit. You'd recast Bruce Wayne in a jiffy, because Batman IS Bruce Wayne (well, there are other Batmen too, but you get what I mean). Why isn't Kate Kane accorded the same respect?

Then there's the insistence that the next actress and the character will be from the LGBTQ community. So is Batwoman just a mantle that can be worn by any lesbian? Is her being a lesbian the one defining trait of the mantle, over and above the actual character of Kate Kane, her relationships, and her story so far? That's pretty insulting, if you really think about it.

As an aside, if they DO insist on a new character taking the mantle, I think the one character other than Kate who truly deserves the mantle is Kathy Kane, the original comic-book Batwoman. I've always hoped they introduce her on the show, and while this isn't ideal, it could work.

Kathy would just be a few years older than Kate...the much younger widow of one of Kate's uncles. She's a bit of an adventurer, traveling the globe participating in extreme sports, expeditions and what-not (though we gradually learn she's been involved in covert ops and stuff of that nature - the whole Spyral backstory from the comics comes into play here). She returns to Gotham for some reason, and ends up taking on the Batwoman mantle initially as a cover for some other mission, but then decides to stick around once she realizes who the original Batwoman was and the fact that Kate is gone.

Kathy wouldn't be a lesbian of course (though her being bi could work). And they could introduce a backstory of her having a past romance with Bruce, and knowing his identity, as a nod to the comics.
    My wife and I were actually discussing that today. Another website was offering suggestions of who could be Batwoman and it only offered 2 choices and they were both lesbian. Does passing the mantle mean the new Batwoman needs to also be a lesbian?
    I think restorative nostalgia is the number one issue with comic book fans.
    A fine distinction between two types of Nostalgia:

Reflective Nostalgia allows us to savor our memories but accepts that they are in the past
    Restorative Nostalgia pushes back against the here and now, keeping us stuck trying to relive our glory days.