Astonishing Member

I've been collecting some of her cartoons on DVD. The ones I've seen are pretty much one gonzo visual gag after another. If that's the route the movie takes, it'll at least be interesting to see.

Given how Betty Boop was created to be a sexpot flapper girl in the 1930s, I can already see the problems trying to sell that to today's audience.

However, if you change the character to be an ass-kicking feminist ninja, then it's not Betty Boop.

They should just not bother. The results will leave one group or another very disappointed.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I'd only be interested if it was a period piece set in the 30's... but I know perfectly well it won't be, so... not interested.

Yeah, kinda curious what direction this will take...

Old school comic book fan WestPhillyPunisher's Avatar

This has VOD written all over it.
    Avatar: Here's to the late, great Steve Dillon. Best. Punisher. Artist. EVER!

Quote Originally Posted by Comic-Reader Lad View Post
    Given how Betty Boop was created to be a sexpot flapper girl in the 1930s, I can already see the problems trying to sell that to today's audience.

However, if you change the character to be an ass-kicking feminist ninja, then it's not Betty Boop.

They should just not bother. The results will leave one group or another very disappointed.
    I don't know, there's a world of difference between sexpot flapper girl and feminist ninja (really, ninja?). Maybe she's just a normal girl trying to break into music or something. You can definitely update her without losing the spirit of the character.

I have an aunt who had some Betty Boop stuff back when she was alive, so I'm definitely interested in this from a somewhat weirdly personal and nostalgic angle, so I'll probably check this out.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I think the retro angle is really vital to Betty Boop's appeal. She wouldn't work as a modern-day character.