Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Astonishing Member FanboyStranger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Everything I've read by him is just great and excellent. Now, if someone reprinted Howard the Duck MAX, the first volume of Hard Time, and Nevada, I'll be a happy guy.
    We need a final volume for Hard Time, too. Some of his best work in there, and perhaps the finest final issue of a comic ever.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    We need a final volume for Hard Time, too. Some of his best work in there, and perhaps the finest final issue of a comic ever.
    How may issues are there? I know DC stealth-released a second volume two years ago, but I've always thought that was it.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    How may issues are there? I know DC stealth-released a second volume two years ago, but I've always thought that was it.
    Seven. It was marketed as Hard Time: Season Two. Also, the final issue had a play on the "One Year Later" thing DC was doing: "49 Years Later".

The second volume collected the remaining issues from "Season One". 6-12, I believe.

Astonishing Member Johnny Thunders!'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    This is a great story, or at least the mini drawn by Colan was great. The DC Presents issue illustrated by Rick Veitch is one of the most bizarre, difficult comics I've ever read. I'm still not sure I understood what was going on in the story. I love Rick's work almost as much as Steve's, but together, they may have been too much for me.

That DC Comics Presents Comic is an even bigger horror story for Superman than the Whatever Happened to the Man of Tomorrow story. It must be intentional. He wanted to just demolish Superman's world, because it's drawn by Veitch, it reminds me of that insane issue of Supreme where Supreme was stuck in the EC Comics world.

Marvel Presents (Guardians of the Galaxy) #7, seems like it has served as an inspiration to some of the best writers, including Alan Moore, Grant Morrison, Jim Starlin, etc..

Truly a classic read, highly recommended.
    Especially with the recent success of GotG, Gerber's work on it shouldn't go unnoticed. Inspite of the characters and storylines varying from the current franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Thunders! View Post
    He wrote one of the greatest Superman Stories and arguably the greatest Phantom Zone story. DC released a trade of his Phantom Zone series and it's strange, scary, and drawn by Gene Colan. He ended the DC Comics Presents Series starring Superman and he has Zod, a Phantom Zone Demon, and Mxyzptlk team up to attack Metropolis. Some of the most unnerving Superman stories. I will be getting the Howard the Duck series. I remember reading issues as a kid and thinking, this is too strange!
    EXACTLY what I was going to say! Proof of what a good writer could do with supposedly "boring" Superman. I read he had an proposal for his 86 reboot. I wonder what that was.

Gerber's Foolkiller really needs to be released as a trade, people NEED to read it. It is so powerful, and unlike anything else out there. Not a huge fan of the art (apparently Gerber wasn't either), but it stuns me every time I read it, and to top it off it was released in 90's Marvel. Seriously folks, if you haven't read it, pick it up off ebay.

Out of curiosity, did Gerber ever say what how he intended to wrap up Omega the Unknown? Another great series, but so sad that it just ended without an explanation. I know Marvel had David Kraft wrap it up in Defenders, but I didn't know if Gerber ever said anything else on the matter.
    currently reading: Dept. H, Hellboy in Hell, Kaijumax, Moon Knight

Quote Originally Posted by Jon-El View Post
    EXACTLY what I was going to say! Proof of what a good writer could do with supposedly "boring" Superman. I read he had an proposal for his 86 reboot. I wonder what that was.
    From what I understand, there was a package proposed where Frank Miller would take over Batman, Alan Moore would take over Superman, and Gerber would take over Wonder Woman. Dick Giordano pushed the package deal, but eventually felt it was too much at the time. Obviously, Miller would get Batman with Year One.

Wow! That still would have been a great deal!!