Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Composite Hulk VS Thanos (616)

R1) Standard Composite

R2) Stacked Composite

Hulk gets comics, cartoons, live action, and videogame cutscenes.

This include temporary power ups?

This include temporary power ups?
    If it does, a reminder that Hulk has been Captain Universe before.

I didn't read it the issue, but typically Cap Universe turns ordinary people into low-end cosmics.

Legendary God of Pirates Nik Hasta's Avatar

Any psychic defences in the mix?

If nothing else, Thanos has pretty big boy telepathy on his side.

I recall World War Hulk being "Too mad to control," but I don't know how much credence we'd typically lend that, especially in a composite.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    Any psychic defences in the mix?

If nothing else, Thanos has pretty big boy telepathy on his side.

I recall World War Hulk being "Too mad to control," but I don't know how much credence we'd typically lend that, especially in a composite.
    There's an issue with Cable trying to mind-whammy the guy and all it does is switch different incarnations of the Hulk.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Is there any non-Captain Universe versions of Hulk that can keep Thanos from teleporting him into another star system (or just punting him into the sun)?

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    There's an issue with Cable trying to mind-whammy the guy and all it does is switch different incarnations of the Hulk.
    If you're thinking of their encounter during Onslaught... I actually had that one was a kid.

As I recall, Cable specifically didn't use his telepathic abilities. He started off against Prof Hulk, who then turned into Grey Hulk. I remember Cable demanding that he fight Onslaught's psychic control or "I'll peel your mind like an orange," to Grey Hulk who Storm then slammed through a wall with wind.

After that Storm hit him in the brain with lightning bolt and then Cable decked him with a telepathic bullet whereupon he reverted into Savage Hulk and decked them both.

I might be misremembering but I don't think Cable tried an actual telepathic attack on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Nik Hasta View Post
    If you're thinking of their encounter during Onslaught... I actually had that one was a kid.

As I recall, Cable specifically didn't use his telepathic abilities. He started off against Prof Hulk, who then turned into Grey Hulk. I remember Cable demanding that he fight Onslaught's psychic control or "I'll peel your mind like an orange," to Grey Hulk who Storm then slammed through a wall with wind.

After that Storm hit him in the brain with lightning bolt and then Cable decked him with a telepathic bullet whereupon he reverted into Savage Hulk and decked them both.

I might be misremembering but I don't think Cable tried an actual telepathic attack on him.
    I went and checked. The first time Cable tries a psi-link to get him to calm down and show him that he was just being used by Onslaught. Instead that just switches him from smart Hulk to Gray Hulk.

THEN, Cable has Storm hit him with a lightning bolt to short the synapses in his brain so Cable can hit him with a "telepathic bullet". This just unleashes the Savage Hulk.

So, I'm willing to admit that Onslaught may have had some influence there, but at the same time, I still feel like psychic attacks against the Hulk aren't as reliable as they would be against other people.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I went and checked. The first time Cable tries a psi-link to get him to calm down and show him that he was just being used by Onslaught. Instead that just switches him from smart Hulk to Gray Hulk.

THEN, Cable has Storm hit him with a lightning bolt to short the synapses in his brain so Cable can hit him with a "telepathic bullet". This just unleashes the Savage Hulk.

So, I'm willing to admit that Onslaught may have had some influence there, but at the same time, I still feel like psychic attacks against the Hulk aren't as reliable as they would be against other people.
    Thank you for clarifying, it has been many years since I read it haha

Astonishing Member

Didn't Thanos mentally attack Hulk in an Avengers comic?

What did Hulk actually DO as Cap Universe?

I think what proficiency they displayed should have some bearing on what we handwave or not.

If we DO handwave him decent proficiency, plus his "war hulk" strength (capable of stopping Juggs) plus his immortal Hulk healing, then I reckon he wins a conventional fight against Thanos.

Telepathy is still a concern though.
    "At the end of the day, Arby is a pretty prolific poster proposing a plurality of proper posts for us."
    - big_adventure

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Didn't Thanos mentally attack Hulk in an Avengers comic?
    Nevermind found it. Avengers Assemble series. If valid, he took over Hulk's mind to make him attack the other Avengers for a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Nevermind found it. Avengers Assemble series. If valid, he took over Hulk's mind to make him attack the other Avengers for a while.
    Wouldnt we chalk that up as an outlier feat given Hulks other performance against telepaths? Of course, this doesn't speak to earlier pre warp core versions of Hulk whose showings against telepaths were meh.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.

Extraordinary Member The Drunkard Kid's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cronus View Post
    Wouldnt we chalk that up as an outlier feat given Hulks other performance against telepaths? Of course, this doesn't speak to earlier pre warp core versions of Hulk whose showings against telepaths were meh.
    Even discounting how inconsistent it is for strong emotions to particularly hinder powerful telepaths (like how Xavier was once stymied by dirty thoughts, but is also capable of weaponizing the fear of the entire Skrull Homeworld), didn't Thanos once use some weird telepathic skill on Drax?

Quote Originally Posted by The Drunkard Kid View Post
    Even discounting how inconsistent it is for strong emotions to particularly hinder powerful telepaths (like how Xavier was once stymied by dirty thoughts, but is also capable of weaponizing the fear of the entire Skrull Homeworld), didn't Thanos once use some weird telepathic skill on Drax?
    Eh, hadn't thought of it that way. Are there any examples you think of where telepaths did fine on the one being controlled despite being in a highly emotional state? And yes, time mind sync warp

Edit: unless...are you are referring to Drax being in a highly emotional state (really, really angry) when facing down Moondragon in Avengers? Thanos has controlled Hulk once outright (savage Hulk, but post warp core IIRC). Not sure how clean a feat that was given Thanos doesn't have tons of impressive offensive TP feats.
    Last edited by Cronus; 05-20-2020 at 02:56 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margret's not coming?"
    ----------------------
    "One of the maddening but beautiful things about comics is that you have to give characters a sense of change without changing them so much that they violate the essence of who they are." ~ Ann Nocenti, Chris Claremont's X-Men.