Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default X-Men after Age of Apocalypse: Opinions?

Every few years, I do a complete re-read of X-Men starting with Giant Size and ending with the conclusion of Age of Apocalypse.

I have always been pretty steadfast in stopping after AOA and then directly jumping into Morrison's New X-Men when I am in the mood to read "modern" X-Men.

I have never really read the material that bridges AOA & New X-Men. However, now that I am nearing my intended conclusion, I was wondering if it was worth continuing?

I know some of the bigger events are Onslaught, Operation Zero Tolerance, The Twelve, Claremont's return, & Eve of Destruction. However, I have not heard good things about any of this material. Common opinions I have seen associated with this period are "directionless", "filler", "skippable", & "uninspired".

Are there any fans here of this particular period who might have some positive things to say?

Essentially, is it really worth investing in this time period of writers, artists, & characters? And if not X-Men or Uncanny, how were X-force, Wolverine, etc. at this time?

BANNED

Kelly/Seagle is very underrated. There's some fun stuff in the pre-Twelve Alan Davis run too.

Road Trip X-Force was around that time too, I think. Probably some of the very best that title has been in its 30 year history.

X-Men always in flux. It's been lucky that even if it lacks direction or a flagship the supporting books typically can carry the extra burden when the A-team in down. There's over half a century of stories that have been told you have plenty of options, chose the ones that appeal to you.
    I was trying to do too much and not doing any of it as well as I could. But I've had a change of mind... though not everyone shall enjoy it. I will.

#midnightermonday #uglystepchildren #lolgbtcomedyshow

Tumblr: http://newmutantmayhem.tumblr.com/

IG: https://www.instagram.com/ginger_drew/

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post
    Every few years, I do a complete re-read of X-Men starting with Giant Size and ending with the conclusion of Age of Apocalypse.

I have always been pretty steadfast in stopping after AOA and then directly jumping into Morrison's New X-Men when I am in the mood to read "modern" X-Men.

I have never really read the material that bridges AOA & New X-Men. However, now that I am nearing my intended conclusion, I was wondering if it was worth continuing?

I know some of the bigger events are Onslaught, Operation Zero Tolerance, The Twelve, Claremont's return, & Eve of Destruction. However, I have not heard good things about any of this material. Common opinions I have seen associated with this period are "directionless", "filler", "skippable", & "uninspired".

Are there any fans here of this particular period who might have some positive things to say?

Essentially, is it really worth investing in this time period of writers, artists, & characters? And if not X-Men or Uncanny, how were X-force, Wolverine, etc. at this time?
    If you’re a Bishop fan, read the various Bishop/Deathbird one shots.

Then read Bishop: The Last X-Man.

Gambit’s first solo series was during this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Maestroneto View Post
    Kelly/Seagle is very underrated. There's some fun stuff in the pre-Twelve Alan Davis run too.

Road Trip X-Force was around that time too, I think. Probably some of the very best that title has been in its 30 year history.
    I plan to pick up the X-Force Epic Collection that covers this material when it is released late this year. Looking forward to it!

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    If you’re a Bishop fan, read the various Bishop/Deathbird one shots.

Then read Bishop: The Last X-Man.

Gambit’s first solo series was during this time.
    I do have all the Gambit Complete Collections, but I have yet to read them. Need to get on that!

Eh, if you're going to spend the time rereading some of the clunkier books between Giant Sized and AOA, it's worth reading through the rest at least once. Yes there are some directionless slogs, but when I did a re-read a couple of years ago it was easy to recognize when I was in one of those personal ruts and fast read them.
    Team Yana Bachalo Fanboy Cyclops Was Right

Fantastic Member

This was one of my main reading points. AoA made me from a casual reader to weekly.

Onslaught was hit or miss. Good parts but honestly seems more of a plot device to reboot the rest of the Marvel Universe.

OZT was pretty fun actually. The brief Iceman/Marrow/Cece Reyes team was good. Got Maggot and some other fun line ups.

The Seagle/Kelly run I think is really underrated. Unfortunately seems editorial tanked it but I loved the whole Hunt for Xavier and Cerebro's X-men stuff.

Claremont's return and The Twelve tho was a big pile of crap. Lots of potential but it stunk.

It stayed bad for a while. Casey and Austen were just awful. Decent ideas but really bad execution and I'm one that hates Morrison the most. It didn't feel like X-Men and had lasting damage it felt like.

Erik Larsen had his Wolverine run during this time. I can understand that it won't appeal to everyone but there was some interesting stuff there. I liked what he was doing with Arnim Zola, but it never really seemed to go anywhere.

There's also the story where Wolverine fights Galactus. Seriously.

I love the onslaught stuff personally. I won’t claim that the entirety of it is masterful or anything but the whole concept of the villain and the face off where he battles the xmen and the avengers is brilliant. As far as the run after age of apocalypse, i would say that its like everything else xmen, hit and miss. While i love old clermont as much as the next person, some of the stuff from the 80’s was pretty funny in a bad way. In the world of comics i just tend to not dwell on those sort of missteps and especially with xmen. Luckily for me, there is so much xmen and i can’t get enough so it is a symbiotic relationship i guess you could say lol. Sometimes it can be a pain trying to keep up with it all like xforce and excalibur but hey its not going to stop me from trying!

Astonishing Member

Read X-men for years, starting with Onslaught. It has its up and downs, but overall even the mediocre runs are worth reading. I avoided the Chuck Austen run, that was the only run I think you can skip. It's a journey with hundreds of characters, and various writers that feels like a life time of discovery. Deep space, Skrulls, Apocalypse and Magneto showing up again and again, magic ninja, the Phalanx. 90's X-men has a particular charm if you can get into it. Personally, Kelly and Segal's run are under rated and a favourite. Operation: Zero Tolerance deserves to be adapted someday. Bastian is terrifying and charismatic, though he becomes less interesting afterward.

Edit: Highly recommend the Gambit by Nicieza, Larry Hama's Wolverine and Maverick series.
    Last edited by Steel Inquisitor; 05-21-2020 at 12:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andru View Post

I would just go ahead and read the X-men parts of Onslaught (like the first parts with Jean and Juggernaut), read Operation Zero Tolerance, X-men the twelve is also messy but you might read a trade that collects it and some other stuff (like Search for Cyclops). X-men Revolution was not great, but if you skip it I would still take a look at X-men Forever (2001) mini, Search for Cyclops, and Eve of Destruction. There are parts of each of those stories I like (but as a Scott and Jean fan I typically gravitate to stories involving either character).

I dropped the X-Books just before Legion Quest, so a BUNCH of the later 90s X-Men stories wash off my memory. I recall being interested in the Reunion team when Colossus, Shadowcat, and Nightcrawler rejoined the X-Men, but that was my Alan Davis following at work, and the Excalibur 50 retread of the Twelve was so sour I dropped it again until Morrison.

Quote Originally Posted by Whim View Post
    This was one of my main reading points. AoA made me from a casual reader to weekly.
    Onslaught was hit or miss. Good parts but honestly seems more of a plot device to reboot the rest of the Marvel Universe.
    OZT was pretty fun actually. The brief Iceman/Marrow/Cece Reyes team was good. Got Maggot and some other fun line ups.
    The Seagle/Kelly run I think is really underrated. Unfortunately seems editorial tanked it but I loved the whole Hunt for Xavier and Cerebro's X-men stuff.
    Claremont's return and The Twelve tho was a big pile of crap. Lots of potential but it stunk.
    It stayed bad for a while. Casey and Austen were just awful. Decent ideas but really bad execution and I'm one that hates Morrison the most. It didn't feel like X-Men and had lasting damage it felt like.
    I really enjoyed The Twelve and the subsequent Ages of Apocalypse.
    Yes, Claremont v2 was horrid, especially for giving us telekinetic Psylocke.
    Quote Originally Posted by The General, JLA #38
    'Why?' Just to see the disappointment on your corn-fed, gee-whiz face, Superman. And because a great dark voice on the edge of nothing spoke to me and said you all had to die. There is no 'Why?'

I don't know if these fit into your timeline but I really enjoyed adjectiveless X-Men #188-204 (collected in a volume called Marauders) and The Rise and Fall of the Shi'ar Empire.

OZ:T was pretty great, actually (IMO of course), only having read the two main X-titles + GenX.

Speaking of which, you should really read Generation X up till Hama takes over. If you like that, skip Hama and give Faerber a go (didn’t like myself, but it has some good points to it), and then stop when he leaves the title; the Ellis/Wood reboot sucked and will likely just piss you off.
    Last edited by Bunch of Coconuts; 05-21-2020 at 11:49 AM.