Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Extraordinary Member superduperman's Avatar

In terms of Superman, keep in mind, he wasn't even originally supposed to appear on the show at all. Hence the shadowed figure in the first season. And even after he started appearing semi-regularly I don't think anyone intended for him to get his own show. He was supposed to get maybe a once a season appearance. It was seen as HER show. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they did but keep in mind, even as late as 2016-17 it was still believed they were going to make more Superman movies. That's kind of fallen by the wayside now. I don't think they would have signed off on a new Superman show if they had any major movie plans going forward right now. So SuperMAN fans were supposed to get their own movies and Supergirl fans had the show. Plus, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a guest star overshadow the main character. No matter who that character is. I used to watch He-Man and She-Ra as a kid and whenever he would appear on her show, they would always nerf him to make her look better. It used to bug me but I get it now.
    Assassinate Putin!

Mighty Member

Eh, Batman can always get knocked down a peg. I think I'm one of the few that actually liked the Evil Bruce Wayne in the Crisis on Infinite Earths special, especially after putting up with so many Evil Superman alternate universe stories.

Quote Originally Posted by Robanker View Post
    Go watch Black Lightning instead. Largely self-contained and pretty fun.
    Also this. It doesn't get enough love.

Quote Originally Posted by phantom1592 View Post
    Honestly i think they've ALREADY disgraced Batman a heck of a lot more than they ever did Superman. The idea that Kate is better for the sole reason of 'She's a woman'. The fact he abandoned Gotham... the fact that it was a fight of Batman that caused her sister to have all her issues in the first place and never was able to find her... Now I'm hearing rumors that he killed Joker before vanishing... Add in the fact we're back to the Fox's outfitting Batman and the suit itself is treated like some magical artifact and 'anyone' who wears it can be Batman.... Ughhh... Not even counting Alternate Bruce who's psychotic and murderhappy. keeping trophies of killing Clark. I really don't know what else they could do.

It sure beats the star of the show actually pulling off a win in a fight with Superman... or he saying he wouldn't be able to sacrifice Lois to save the planet.. Batman's treatment is already worse.. and now that Clark gets to headline a series, maybe he can build up some street cred again.
    At no point has Kate ever been portrayed as being better than Bruce. For everything else, what you've described isn't disgrace, it's simply the hero not being perfect.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by GamerSlyRatchet View Post
    Eh, Batman can always get knocked down a peg. I think I'm one of the few that actually liked the Evil Bruce Wayne in the Crisis on Infinite Earths special, especially after putting up with so many Evil Superman alternate universe stories.

Also this. It doesn't get enough love.
    He gets knocked down a peg while the batfamily leeches off his popularity and the Bat Mythos. Batwoman sure is a surreal show. We're gonna use Batman's cave, his equipment, his villains, his suit and his symbol for our benefit. But we're also gonna **** on him, throw him under the bus and denigrate his legacy. Talk about biting the hand that feeds you.

They "disgraced" Superman?

Quote Originally Posted by Adekis View Post
    Sounds about right to me!

It's true I don't think Supergirl treated CK ideally all the time, but look, we're getting a Superman show because of it for the first time since the '90s. That's not too bad with disrespect, and even if it is... there's always George Reeves.
    Eh, we're getting it because WB gave up on him in film. I'm pretty sure this isn't a good thing, much less faith the show is good. Step in the wrong direction. Maybe two steps.

The Man Who Cannot Die manwhohaseverything's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robotman View Post
    They "disgraced" Superman?

Don't mind him. He's just influenced by john campea,is all.

Quote Originally Posted by Vakanai View Post
    Eh, we're getting it because WB gave up on him in film. I'm pretty sure this isn't a good thing, much less faith the show is good. Step in the wrong direction. Maybe two steps.
    Most fans would kill to have a t.v. show of their favorite characters after the studio gave up on them in film. Treating Superman getting another t.v. series as the wrong direction is just weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Most fans would kill to have a t.v. show of their favorite characters after the studio gave up on them in film. Treating Superman getting another t.v. series as the wrong direction is just weird.
    Not really, people get happy when they get their favourite characters and the story is aimed at you as a demographic. The show isn't for many. But, that doesn’t mean its bad persay. I would say currently though, superman not being a able to perform in the genre it was created to be is a depressing sign.The character might end up like its predecessors or become something that targets a different demo. I guess, it's inevitable and it already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by manwhohaseverything View Post
    Not really, people get happy when they get their favourite characters and the story is aimed at you as a demographic. The show isn't for many. But, that doesn’t mean its bad persay. I would say currently though, superman not being a able to perform in the genre it was created to be is a depressing sign.The character might end up like its predecessors or become something that targets a different demo. I guess, it's inevitable and it already happened.
    The Superman show hasn't even come out yet. We don't know what it would be like.

The Superman show hasn't even come out yet. We don't know what it would be like.
    We don't know. But, i can get an idea from past cw shows and they have target demographic. I like smallville, lois&clark.. Etc.So, going by that is it not gonna be for me at this moment(i amburned by clark kent or kal el's drama) and if i see the action not being good enough or a priority. Then my opinion will stand.

My biggest concern is jon kent. If its gonna be soap opera drama based thing. I hope the character in the comics is not influenced by whatever they cook up on screen. Jon has heavy shonen action aesthetic and connection. The character sucks with drama.Case it and point bendis arc with him aging up. The character became tolerable when he went to legion and was upto mischief. Still though character became a mess.I would have preffered jon debuted in something else.
    Last edited by manwhohaseverything; 05-22-2020 at 01:54 AM.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    I used to watch He-Man and She-Ra as a kid and whenever he would appear on her show, they would always nerf him to make her look better. It used to bug me but I get it now.
    But I don't think they ever him ever loose to her in fight or stated that she was better then him.

Also keep in mind that Supergirl was in the TV just staring as a hero, and Superman was allready doing it since before she crashed on Earth.

Of course you don't want your leading character to look bad, but the idea way to do it would have been to show them to be equals and not make one stronger then the other.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Fans might not be excited for a CW show about Superman if they're not impressed with the quality of the other tv shows, so they have an idea what to expect. It's not really a "wrong direction," but it's not weird. Calling it disgraceful is OTT, but why would people be interested or excited about content that isn't their thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    But I don't think they ever him ever loose to her in fight or stated that she was better then him.

Also keep in mind that Supergirl was in the TV just staring as a hero, and Superman was allready doing it since before she crashed on Earth.

Of course you don't want your leading character to look bad, but the idea way to do it would have been to show them to be equals and not make one stronger then the other.
    This so much. It has been so much sh!tty writing for Clark here. The biggest offender was probably when he basically said he was in AWE of Kara for doing the tough decision he never could. WTF. That's Not Superman. When I and others complain, we don't do it because we want it to turn into the Superman show, we just want respect for the iconic superhero. He has earned it.

I'm fine with a TV series if the writing, direction and production values are solid or great. But that's not the case with the CW shows. Very inconsistent and often cringe with some good moments.

Quote Originally Posted by superduperman View Post
    In terms of Superman, keep in mind, he wasn't even originally supposed to appear on the show at all. Hence the shadowed figure in the first season. And even after he started appearing semi-regularly I don't think anyone intended for him to get his own show. He was supposed to get maybe a once a season appearance. It was seen as HER show. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they did but keep in mind, even as late as 2016-17 it was still believed they were going to make more Superman movies. That's kind of fallen by the wayside now. I don't think they would have signed off on a new Superman show if they had any major movie plans going forward right now. So SuperMAN fans were supposed to get their own movies and Supergirl fans had the show. Plus, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have a guest star overshadow the main character. No matter who that character is. I used to watch He-Man and She-Ra as a kid and whenever he would appear on her show, they would always nerf him to make her look better. It used to bug me but I get it now.
    I don't understand this mentality and writing style, it's very dishonest and hurtful to the original hero. It's lazy writing and lacks creativity and the talent to come up with other way to make someone else shine in their own right. Supergirl can still be a great hero without comparing her to Superman. But the CW are very insecure about their show, so they diminish Clark to raise Kara. I think this hurts both characters and creates angry fans. I stopped watching the show after so much desrespect. I'm sure I'm not the only one judging by the losing viewership each year.
    Last edited by stargazer01; 05-22-2020 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by stargazer01 View Post
    This so much. It has been so much sh!tty writing for Clark here. The biggest offender was probably when he basically said he was in AWE of Kara for doing the tough decision he never could. WTF. That's Not Superman. When I and others complain, we don't do it because we want it to turn into the Superman show, we just want respect for the iconic superhero. He has earned it.

I'm fine with a TV series if the writing, direction and production values are solid or great. But that's not the case with the CW shows. Very inconsistent and often cringe with some good moments.

I don't understand this mentality and writing style, it's very dishonest and hurtful to the original hero. It's lazy writing and lacks creativity and the talent to come up with other way to make someone else shine in their own right. Supergirl can still be a great hero without comparing her to Superman. But the CW are very insecure about their show, so they diminish Clark to raise Kara. I think this hurts both characters and creates angry fans. I stopped watching the show after so much desrespect. I'm sure I'm not the only one judging by the losing viewership each year.
    I keep saying this, but I don't think I've gotten any responses about my take on that scene. Clark telling Kara he's in awe of her and that he didn't know if he'd be able to make that decision was him being super humble and trying to encourage his cousin, whom he loves. To me, that's Clark all over the place. And yes, she beat a mind-altered Superman, but of course she did because she was on the right side - that just had to happen. (unless you think it's simply impossible for him to ever lose a fight) Clark only told Kara he wasn't holding back and that it was a fair fight. AGAIN, Clark being super-humble and trying to give his cousin her due because he's a great guy. I don't see anything disgraceful there.

And there's no way to pin viewership numbers on how you feel they treat Superman. There are obviously many factors involved.