Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Default The Infinity Inc. Problem

I am an old-school DC fanboy. I love the Justice Society, I love the original concept of Earth-2, and I love all of Roy Thomas's attempts to weave the golden age history of DC into a cohesive whole.

It also goes without saying that I loved Infinity Inc., the team of second-generation heirs to the JSA legacy that premiered in the early 80's.

Now, with the JSA about to get woven back into DC's Prime Earth continuity, I think it's time to ask a pointed question: What do we do about Infinity Inc.?

From all appearances, the JSA is going to retain their status as a WWII era fighting team. This means that its remaining active members are (absent a retconned time jump), pushing 100 years old. And, to some degree, the remaining members all have explanations for their continued activity (Speed Force, Starheart, Nine Lives, etc.). But they are freakin' old.

Which brings me to Infinity Inc.. Originally conceived as "The JSA's super-powered kids," but only a few of them actually were their children. The membership broke down like this:
    Star-Spangled Kid - Time-tossed member of the Seven Soldiers and the JSA.
    Fury - Daughter of Earth-Two Wonder Woman, later retconned to be be the daughter of the Golden Age Fury.
    Silver Scarab - Son of Golden Age Hawkman and Hawkgirl
    Nuklon - Godson of Golden Age Atom
    Northwind - Son of Golden Age Hawkman's scientist friend.
    Jade: Daughter of Golden Age Green Lantern and Golden Age Thorn
    Obsidian: Son of Golden Age Green Lantern and Golden Age Thorn
    Wildcat: Inspired by Golden Age Wildcat
    Dr. Midnight: Inspired by Golden Age Dr. Mid-Nite
    Hourman: Son of Golden Age Hourman

Obviously, any of the characters merely "inspired" by their earlier counterparts (Wildcat II, Dr. Midnight) could just as easily be active heroes today, with careers starting whenever is convenient. Also, Nuklon and Northwind could easily have their origins jostled a little to be present-day characters. And, being time-tossed, Skyman could pop out anywhere near the present.

But what about Fury, Scarab, Jade, and Obsidian? When were these kids supposed to have been born? When their dads were in their 70's? That's doable, I suppose, but what about their moms (Fury I, Shiera Hall, and Thorn)? Even accounting for various magical things, this seems way weird. As time rolls on it's just going to get stranger and stranger to have a 100+ year old Green Lantern sharing adventures with his mid 20something daughter, who really should be his great-granddaughter.

So, what should be done? Should Infinity Inc. exist at all in the main DCU? Should they be left in the 1980's as a failed super-group? Should strange time jumps be inserted into the JSA's history (remembering to take all of their wives and girlfriends), so that the JSAers can not be freaky-old in the present, and sire children in the late 90's?

What do?

PS It amuses me no end that the existence of the current Dream of the Endless rests partially on the histories of two characters (Hector and Lyta Hall) who may not have existed in current continuity. I like to think that it amuses Neil Gaiman, too.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by ducklord View Post
    I am an old-school DC fanboy. I love the Justice Society, I love the original concept of Earth-2, and I love all of Roy Thomas's attempts to weave the golden age history of DC into a cohesive whole.

It also goes without saying that I loved Infinity Inc., the team of second-generation heirs to the JSA legacy that premiered in the early 80's.

Now, with the JSA about to get woven back into DC's Prime Earth continuity, I think it's time to ask a pointed question: What do we do about Infinity Inc.?

From all appearances, the JSA is going to retain their status as a WWII era fighting team. This means that its remaining active members are (absent a retconned time jump), pushing 100 years old. And, to some degree, the remaining members all have explanations for their continued activity (Speed Force, Starheart, Nine Lives, etc.). But they are freakin' old.

Which brings me to Infinity Inc.. Originally conceived as "The JSA's super-powered kids," but only a few of them actually were their children. The membership broke down like this:
    Fury - Daughter of Earth-Two Wonder Woman, later retconned to be be the daughter of the Golden Age Fury.

Obviously, any of the characters merely "inspired" by their earlier counterparts (Wildcat II, Dr. Midnight) could just as easily be active heroes today, with careers starting whenever is convenient. Also, Nuklon and Northwind could easily have their origins jostled a little to be present-day characters. And, being time-tossed, Skyman could pop out anywhere near the present.

But what about Fury, Scarab, Jade, and Obsidian? When were these kids supposed to have been born? When their dads were in their 70's? That's doable, I suppose, but what about their moms (Fury I, Shiera Hall, and Thorn)? Even accounting for various magical things, this seems way weird. As time rolls on it's just going to get stranger and stranger to have a 100+ year old Green Lantern sharing adventures with his mid 20something daughter, who really should be his great-granddaughter.

So, what should be done? Should Infinity Inc. exist at all in the main DCU? Should they be left in the 1980's as a failed super-group? Should strange time jumps be inserted into the JSA's history (remembering to take all of their wives and girlfriends), so that the JSAers can not be freaky-old in the present, and sire children in the late 90's?

What do?

PS It amuses me no end that the existence of the current Dream of the Endless rests partially on the histories of two characters (Hector and Lyta Hall) who may not have existed in current continuity. I like to think that it amuses Neil Gaiman, too.
    You’re forgetting the villains like in the Injustice Society and their children too.

Plus heroes like Black Canary and Jack Knight Starman.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    You’re forgetting the villains like in the Injustice Society and their children too.

Plus heroes like Black Canary and Jack Knight Starman.
    Yeah, those are all problems, too. In Jack's case, it's getting increasingly likely that he's just plain disappeared from continuity. As for Black Canary, her legacy was always a retcon to begin with, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets retconned out when the JSA returns. She could, in the end, just be a vigilante with a mutant voice who was inspired by an obscure golden age heroine.

Yeah, those are all problems, too. In Jack's case, it's getting increasingly likely that he's just plain disappeared from continuity. As for Black Canary, her legacy was always a retcon to begin with, so I wouldn't be surprised if it gets retconned out when the JSA returns. She could, in the end, just be a vigilante with a mutant voice who was inspired by an obscure golden age heroine.
    The presence of Jade and Obsidian in Doomsday Clock seem to indicate that the characters are back in continuity. The II characters are a factor complicating the return of the JSA as if they can still be active, even if limited, their spouses and families are suffering from the passing of time. They're the big reason I suggest having the JSA timeskipped to a decade or so before the modern age of heroes so they can raise families.

Personally, I'm getting to the point whre I don't care how they return, just that they do with older originals and the next generation of the original Earth Two crowd. But then, there will be many who will wnat to know and I doubt DC will not explain it. As long as it doesn't suck, I'm happy.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by CaptCleghorn View Post
    The presence of Jade and Obsidian in Doomsday Clock seem to indicate that the characters are back in continuity. The II characters are a factor complicating the return of the JSA as if they can still be active, even if limited, their spouses and families are suffering from the passing of time. They're the big reason I suggest having the JSA timeskipped to a decade or so before the modern age of heroes so they can raise families.

Personally, I'm getting to the point whre I don't care how they return, just that they do with older originals and the next generation of the original Earth Two crowd. But then, there will be many who will wnat to know and I doubt DC will not explain it. As long as it doesn't suck, I'm happy.
    I’m gonna come clean. I know most people love the JSA’s World War II adventures. And that they’re from that time period. But in twenty years in 2040, will that even matter? Will anyone still care?

I say adjust the JSA history so that they were born 50-60 years before the present. That they were active as superheroes 35 to 40 years before the present. And their children were born 25 to 35 years ago, when they were retired.

I say just acknowledge that Crisis on Infinite earths happened, I mean how else are you going to explain Powergirl, just live with the idea that they are from another world and now live here. It’s honestly more complicated not acknowledging changes to the universe/multiverse at times.

Though in fairness most of the cast we have from Doomsday Clock/Geoff John’s JSA are second generation heroes, infinity inc members, and the inspired characters. I mean the only originals are Jay, Alan, Ted, and Kent Nelson and only because their powers are convenience aging them or prolonging their lives, Hawkman only reincarnates. I mean just look at this Doomsday clock image, it’s clearly not the original line-up from WW2.

E75D734E-0FB1-4A13-9566-435815659F00.jpg
    "It's fun and it's cool, so that's all that matters. It's what comics are for, Duh."
    Words to live by.

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Grandchildren, and some great grandchildren, of the JSA would work better today.

Quote Originally Posted by Will Evans View Post
    I’m gonna come clean. I know most people love the JSA’s World War II adventures. And that they’re from that time period. But in twenty years in 2040, will that even matter? Will anyone still care?

I say adjust the JSA history so that they were born 50-60 years before the present. That they were active as superheroes 35 to 40 years before the present. And their children were born 25 to 35 years ago, when they were retired.
    It's not so much the WW2 adventures for me, but it's the attitudes and old-school philosophy. Their personalities fit with people who lived through a major somewhat popular war and the great depression. It's not all just making dates fit for some, it's keeping a certain attitude. Current heroes and villains have gone through changes in tone over the years and the Infinitors will as well, but a JSA who grew up in the sixties and seventies will produce a different tone than those fighting in WW2. Or they should, anyway. A sixty year old today is someone who graduated with the "That 70's Show" kids. I was there and while you could write the characters as they are currently seen, it wouldn't be right to me.

It's all a matter of "I like" or "I prefer" on this, though and opinions are good to share. I get your point and I see the appeal. There is a simplicity to the concept which could work, even if I'm not in favor of it.

Extraordinary Member

It's not so much the WW2 adventures for me, but it's the attitudes and old-school philosophy. Their personalities fit with people who lived through a major somewhat popular war and the great depression. It's not all just making dates fit for some, it's keeping a certain attitude. Current heroes and villains have gone through changes in tone over the years and the Infinitors will as well, but a JSA who grew up in the sixties and seventies will produce a different tone than those fighting in WW2. Or they should, anyway. A sixty year old today is someone who graduated with the "That 70's Show" kids. I was there and while you could write the characters as they are currently seen, it wouldn't be right to me.

It's all a matter of "I like" or "I prefer" on this, though and opinions are good to share. I get your point and I see the appeal. There is a simplicity to the concept which could work, even if I'm not in favor of it.
    I understand what you’re am saying. But senior citizens are people born pass 1955 now.

The World War II Generation Will generally be extinct in 20 years.

It’s time to move on. Or do like Flashpoint did and get rid of them.

There are sort of two thing here

So Infinity Inc is basically to JSA as Titans was to JLA. A separate team based off a new gen of heroes wanting to form their own path.

Then you have a more modern team of JSA holding onto that tradition, with many heroes carrying on the mantle once held by previous heroes, with some older team mates

I don't see why both can't exist. While both feature younger heroes, it's really about a team identity and why they're in that team. One carries on a tradition, the other forces a new path ofvtheirvown making.

And of course then you have the real Earth 2 being in existence again, so hopefully both original teams still exist in their purest form.

Mighty Member

What do?

I wouldn't worry about the age thing too much, DC always finds away to compress or fiddle around with ages so they work. For an Infinity inc series too come out it would just have to be on prominent writers wishlist and DC will give at go. Outside of the JSA, Infinity inc, and the Global Guardians are really the only two notable super teams that I can think off that haven't had a release for a while. So fingers crossed.

I thought the last Star Spangled Kid was the heroine now called Stargirl?
    Appreciation Thread Indexes
    Marvel | Spider-Man | X-Men | NEW!! DC Comics | Batman | Superman | Wonder Woman

Savior of the Universe Flash Gordon's Avatar

Exactly.

They're an idealized version of the United States that has come to pass. The Greatest Generation.

If you're going to update them at all, just make them modern. Alan Scott wouldn't make sense as a 58 year old now, he wouldn't have any of the same fiber or ethos. He would be much more of an extreme individualist.

I'd say just leave them in the past and move towards new characters and the descendants (grandchildren and such) of the Golden Age folks.
    Last edited by Flash Gordon; 05-21-2020 at 05:58 AM.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Flash Gordon View Post
    Exactly.

They're an idealized version of the United States that has come to pass. The Greatest Generation.

If you're going to update them at all, just make them modern. Alan Scott wouldn't make sense as a 58 year old now, he wouldn't have any of the same fiber or ethos. He would be much more of an extreme individualist.

I'd say just leave them in the past and move towards new characters and the descendants (grandchildren and such) of the Golden Age folks.
    I'm afraid that this is the only answer that doesn't set us up for another reboot as time passes. As much as I loved the JSA and InfInc, it had an inherent flaw in being anchored to a specific moment in time (WWII), creating a continually increasing problem about the characters' ages. Leave them in the past, and drop in to tell untold stories from time to time.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by DrNewGod View Post
    I'm afraid that this is the only answer that doesn't set us up for another reboot as time passes. As much as I loved the JSA and InfInc, it had an inherent flaw in being anchored to a specific moment in time (WWII), creating a continually increasing problem about the characters' ages. Leave them in the past, and drop in to tell untold stories from time to time.
    If they moved those characters back to Earth 2, then they could say that the WWII of their world happened much later than the 1940s. That way, the veteran characters from JSA could be much younger but old enough to be parents/guardians of Infinity Inc members.