Page 30 of 211 FirstFirst ... 202627282930313233344080130 ... LastLast
    Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Snyder turned in a long as hell rough cut and WBs wasn't happy at all supposedly. Someone close to sndyer coulda done reshoots. But they brought Wheedon in who did massive rewrites because they hated it. Makes complete sense WB showed that to Wheedon so he knew what he was working with.

I mean Cyborg had way more scenes suppsedly so makes sense he would be upset that Wheedon took it away and then also **** all over a story Fisher helped Snyder craft. At the same time thoug its not abuse, it just says Wheedon is either oblivious or can be a dick.
    Or studio edict.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

Astonishing Member

Whedon was trashing Snyder’s version of Justice League according to Kevin Smith.

https://mobile.twitter.com/MovieBuff...50905296474112
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Ultimate Member

Maybe it’s me but I don’t see any big deal in Whedon trashing Snyder’s version of the JL. That’s just a little pettiness from Whedon but a long way from unprofessional “behavior”.

Ridley Scott completely trashed the AvP movies and pretty much killed Alien 5, we’ve seen directors skip over sequels and make movies that ignore them, this stuff isn’t unusual.

I want to believe there’s more to Fisher’s allegations because if it’s just about trashing a movie he was brought in to re-write and finish or hiring a body double to do a scene an actress didn’t want to do (which again is not at all unusual), then all this will be filed under gross overreaction.
    Last edited by Username taken; 07-03-2020 at 05:25 PM.

Astonishing Member AndrewCrossett's Avatar

I don't know if Whedon and Snyder have any history of animosity before this. Whatever I may think of Snyder's talent he has some pull in the industry, and it wouldn't be smart for Joss to burn that bridge unless it was already ashes.

All the few times I've heard of Whedon trashing someone in showbiz, it was someone who had taken the initiative in being a dick. Big example is when Donald Sutherland re-wrote his part in the original Buffy movie without consulting him, thereby trashing Joss's careful world-building. He has never hesitated to bad-mouth Sutherland since then, but he didn't bad-mouth Kaz and Fran Kazui, the producer/directors who let him do so, because they'd given him his big break in the business. He never trashed Adam Baldwin even after GamerGate, because Baldwin has always been respectful to him.

I suspect there's something personal going on here. I've never thought Whedon was a dick, but I've never thought he was a doormat either.

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Maybe it’s me but I don’t see any big deal in Whedon trashing Snyder’s version of the JL. That’s just a little pettiness from Whedon but a long way from unprofessional “behavior”.

Ridley Scott completely trashed the AvP movies and pretty much killed Alien 5, we’ve seen directors skip over sequels and make movies that ignore them, this stuff isn’t unusual.

I want to believe there’s more to Fisher’s allegations because if it’s just about trashing a movie he was brought in to re-write and finish or hiring a body double to do a scene an actress didn’t want to do (which again is not at all unusual), then all this will be filed under gross overreaction.
    The issue is he was trashing it to the faces of the people who worked hard on it. Not snyder but the cast and crew. Imagine someone coming into your job and telling you how shitty you work was before them. Its within they're right and ******* bosses do it. its a dick move. But yea not abuse or anything to cancel someone over.

Trashing Snyder's version of the film while on set could certainly be considered unprofessional, but it doesn't fall under the category of "abusive." It's still expressing an opinion. And to be honest, considering Snyder's work on Man of Steel and BvS, there is precedent for that opinion.

So I'll continue to wait for something more solid on the abuse claims.

The issue is he was trashing it to the faces of the people who worked hard on it. Not snyder but the cast and crew. Imagine someone coming into your job and telling you how shitty you work was before them. Its within they're right and ******* bosses do it. its a dick move. But yea not abuse or anything to cancel someone over.
    It does kind of fit into Whedon's attitudes. He has occasionally implied that previous takes on characters were done wrong but his take will fix things or that when the audience doesn't react to things the way he wanted, it's their fault for not being sophisticated enough or what have you. Of course, that's not any different from Snyder's tirade that people who hated his version of Superman are living in a fantasy world. Psst. Superman exists only in a fantasy world.

But Whedon has an ego. It's hard to do a lot of work on something only to have people ignore it's virtues and just trash it.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    But Whedon has an ego. It's hard to do a lot of work on something only to have people ignore it's virtues and just trash it.
    That's not uncommon with directors. Snyder included.

Ultimate Member

Exactly. It’s just a dick thing to do but it’s not something to equate to abuse or anything.

I’m pretty sure stuff like this happens when a new person comes into productions late to basically “re-create” a film. Considering the levels of re-writes, surely the production crew and actors would expect some negativity towards what was being done before he came in. In pure office settings when a new boss comes in they tend to trash processes or even people that are viewed as “sub-optimal”, the only difference here is this a massive Hollywood production.

Even outside of this, we’ve heard stories of guys like James Cameron, Quentin Tarantino and even Francis Ford Coppola ask their actors and production crew do crazy and sometimes life threatening stuff that said received directors received criticism for. From the outside looking in, film making is very, very demanding especially the big blockbusters and a lot of stuff gets said on the set. If Justice League had ended up being a good movie and a hit, I somehow doubt that we would even hear any of this stuff at all.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying Whedon is right not am I defending any form of abusive behavior by any film maker but when I heard the allegations I was expecting something much worse. Not stories of a director hiring a body double or criticizing an incomplete movie that he was brought in to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    That's not uncommon with directors. Snyder included.
    When did Snyder get brought in to complete an unfinished movie and spend the entire time trashing it?

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Snyder has been trashing the MCU for years. So if that's what happened I say it's only fair.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Snyder has been trashing the MCU for years. So if that's what happened I say it's only fair.
    Really? Care to cite any examples. From what I can remember neither Snyder, nor any DCEU director for that matter hasn’t said anything overtly negative about the MCU. Ayer did have that tongue-in-cheek,” f*** Marvel!” moment that he later apologized for.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Really? Care to cite any examples. From what I can remember neither Snyder, nor any DCEU director for that matter hasn’t said anything overtly negative about the MCU. Ayer did have that tongue-in-cheek,” f*** Marvel!” moment that he later apologized for.
    I do remember Snyder calling Antman a "flavor of the week."

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post

Yeah, either there's a lot more to Fishers allegations or he's a drama queen. Abusive is a very strong word that carries a lot of weight. It shouldn't be thrown around liberally especially in this day and age.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zack Snyder
    [Superman] is the freaking […] biggest superhero on the planet. He’s the father of every superhero. [Deborah and I] were just talking about this – I’m like, really? Thor? Thor has a movie? [Laughter.] Really? I mean, come on. And there’s no Superman movie? This is, like, the world’s out of balance. It’s like, we’ve lost our minds here, people, come on.
    The average movie audience has seen — well, I can’t even count the amount of superhero movies. Fantastic Four, X-Men, Superman, Spider-Man. The Marvel universe has gone nuts; we’re going to have a fricking Captain America movie if we’re not careful. Thor, too! We’re on our second Hulk movie. And Iron Man — $300 million domestic box office on a second tier superhero!
    I feel like he’s right. But I feel like Batman and Superman are transcendent of superhero movies in a way, because they’re Batman and Superman. They’re not just, like, the flavour of the week Ant-Man – not to be mean, but whatever it is. What is the next Blank-Man?
    10 characters.