View Poll Results: What is Your Favorite "King Kong" Film?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • King Kong 1933

    17 58.62%
  • King Kong 1976

    2 6.90%
  • King Kong 2005

    10 34.48%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 31
  1. #1
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,844

    Default Best "King Kong" Film

    Only going by the films that go by the story of the original 1933 film.

  2. #2
    Extraordinary Member Cyke's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    7,476

    Default

    I believe 1933 is still regarded as *the* classic, but dangit the 2005 bug pit scene is the stuff of nightmare fuel. I was a little disappointed that Kong: Skull Island didn't have a bug pit scene (it had various large bugs, but nothing as icky and claustrophobic as the 2005 scene).

    Poor, poor Andy Serkis.

  3. #3
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cyke View Post
    I believe 1933 is still regarded as *the* classic, but dangit the 2005 bug pit scene is the stuff of nightmare fuel. I was a little disappointed that Kong: Skull Island didn't have a bug pit scene (it had various large bugs, but nothing as icky and claustrophobic as the 2005 scene).

    Poor, poor Andy Serkis.
    Have you seen the unused stop motion scene of the spider pit from 1933? There a portions of it around and lots of stills from it.




    Peter Jackson did a recreation from the storyboards and found footage:


    The director took it out because:

    "It was a graphic scene following Kong shaking four sailors off the log bridge, causing them to fall into a ravine where they were eaten alive by giant spiders. At the preview screening, audience members screamed, and either left the theater or talked about the grisly sequence throughout the subsequent scenes, disrupting the film. Merian C. Cooper said, "It stopped the picture cold, so the next day back at the studio, I took it out myself."

    I voted 2005 even though I really, really love the original. I enjoy 76, too.
    Last edited by BeastieRunner; 04-07-2021 at 11:05 AM.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  4. #4
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,173

    Default

    1933 is clearly the best.
    I also have a fondness for the 1976 one.
    The 2005 one is just too long, and Kong is reduced to just a gorilla.

  5. #5
    Astonishing Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    2,565

    Default

    It's a tough choice, the original is amazing and I love it to death...but the 2005 version by Peter Jackson is truly a beautiful film.

  6. #6
    Ultimate Member Kirby101's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    13,867

    Default

    1933, I liked 2005, except for the bug scene, just too horrific.
    1976 sucked worse than a Hoover.

    Why isn't Skull Island included. Might be my second favorite.
    Last edited by Kirby101; 04-07-2021 at 02:53 PM.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

  7. #7
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,124

    Default

    Never knew about all of these very old Kong movies.

    I want to see the 2017 one and the new one with Godzilla.
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]


    "Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

  8. #8
    the devil's reject choptop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Posts
    4,374

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Never knew about all of these very old Kong movies.

    I want to see the 2017 one and the new one with Godzilla.
    You didn't know about anything but the 2017 one?

  9. #9
    Extraordinary Member Phoenixx9's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    8,124

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    You didn't know about anything but the 2017 one?
    Was there some 60's or 70's very schlocky movies that used to be on TV I think?
    [Quote Originally Posted by Thor-El 10-15-2020 12:32 PM]


    "Jason Aaron should know there is already a winner of the Phoenix Force and his name is Phoenixx9."

  10. #10
    Silver Sentinel BeastieRunner's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    West Coast, USA
    Posts
    11,647

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Was there some 60's or 70's very schlocky movies that used to be on TV I think?
    Toho did a King Kong Escapes movie after King Kong vs. Godzilla as well as Go! Greenman but he was called Gorira (or Gorilla) due the rights issues.

    There was a Toei Animation show called The King Kong Show around that time, too.
    "Always listen to the crazy scientist with a weird van or armful of blueprints and diagrams." -- Vibranium

  11. #11
    Mighty Member Timothy Hunter's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2017
    Location
    Underneath the Brooklyn Bridge
    Posts
    1,844

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    1933, I liked 2005, except for the bug scene, just too horrific.
    1976 sucked worse than a Hoover.

    Why isn't Skull Island included. Might be my second favorite.
    Kong Skull Island isn't a direct remake of the original King Kong film unlike the ones from 1976 and 2005.

  12. #12
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BeastieRunner View Post
    Have you seen the unused stop motion scene of the spider pit from 1933? There a portions of it around and lots of stills from it.




    Peter Jackson did a recreation from the storyboards and found footage:


    The director took it out because:

    "It was a graphic scene following Kong shaking four sailors off the log bridge, causing them to fall into a ravine where they were eaten alive by giant spiders. At the preview screening, audience members screamed, and either left the theater or talked about the grisly sequence throughout the subsequent scenes, disrupting the film. Merian C. Cooper said, "It stopped the picture cold, so the next day back at the studio, I took it out myself."

    I voted 2005 even though I really, really love the original. I enjoy 76, too.
    I had no idea that footage still existed. I thought it was lost, and all that remained was still photos.

    I was surprised how much I enjoyed the 1933 version when I watched it. I loved how expressive Kong's face was.

    I know I must have seen Kong 76 on tv at some point, but I have no real clear memory of it.

    I liked Kong 2005 well enough when it came out, but watching it now you really feel how indulgent Peter Jackson was. He wanted to fit every single bit of Kong lore into one film, and at times it just dragged on.

  13. #13
    The Superior One Celgress's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    9,938

    Default

    Got to go with OG Kong (1933). It is my favorite movie that features the big guy.
    "So you've come to the end now alive but dead inside."

  14. #14
    A Wearied Madness Vakanai's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    8,173

    Default

    Am I the only one who actually likes the 76 film? All I've ever read is people putting this one down...

  15. #15
    The Nature Boy AnakinFlair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Saint Ann, MO
    Posts
    3,355

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Phoenixx9 View Post
    Was there some 60's or 70's very schlocky movies that used to be on TV I think?
    I actually bought the Criterion collection of Godzilla specifically because it came with the original Japanese version of Kong vs Godzilla. It's a terrifically bad movie and enjoyable on so many levels.

    I heard an interesting bit of trivia that there were a couple of Japanese movies made that featured King Kong when a studio briefly held the rights back in the late 30's. However, these films can never be seen again, as they were stored in a warehouse... in Hiroshima.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •