Page 71 of 211 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,065 of 3155
    Astonishing Member useridgoeshere's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Not really impressed with the trailer; it seems to be only targeting people who want to see the Snyder Cut, instead of trying to sell the cut to people who were on the fence or not planning to see it. Nothing wrong with that in and of itself, but I'm not sure it's a good marketing decision.
    I think that's the point. It's all about getting fans to sign up for HBO Max and retaining subscribers by making them feel like there's a steady flow of interesting content. While I agree the trailer is self-indulgent, designing a TV mini-series trailer to drive/retain streaming subscriptions feels like it should be different than one for driving millions of butts into theatre seats for opening weekend.

The fact that a trailer and a song choice left more people upset than an unprofessional overhyped director being abusive to cast and crew says a lot about the sad state of comics fandom. SMH
    "Longtime fans will read the book and bitch about it NO MATTER WHAT."

- Grant Morrison

Quote Originally Posted by useridgoeshere View Post
    I think that's the point. It's all about getting fans to sign up for HBO Max and retaining subscribers by making them feel like there's a steady flow of interesting content. While I agree the trailer is self-indulgent, designing a TV mini-series trailer to drive/retain streaming subscriptions feels like it should be different than one for driving millions of butts into theatre seats for opening weekend.
    Regardless of whether the trailer is for a movie or a streaming network work, I think the song should still match the tone of what's actually being shown in the trailer.

I think that's part of the problem. Outside of what you may or may not be able to read about Snyder himself, I think indepenent of that it's not necessarily a very good trailer. Visually it looks cool enough, but it's still a bunch of fairly random scenes which are completely drowned out by song which doesn't fit the imagery very well. It feels almost fan made.

Maybe it was rushed for the DC con thing, and by the time we get to the actual debut they will have a better made more polished trailer. But right now at least, I think the threatrical trailer blows the Snyder trailer out of he water.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Crown View Post
    The fact that a trailer and a song choice left more people upset than an unprofessional overhyped director being abusive to cast and crew says a lot about the sad state of comics fandom. SMH
    The thing is abusive is a very strong word... I don't think you can necessarily condemn someone for it without a little more substance to the accusation. Not saying Ray is flat out lying... but he hasn't really explained what he meant, nor has any else really come foreward to back up the accusation. I do think "wait and see" is a pretty valid stance to take on the matter until it's investigated and we know more.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

No reason to be upset when nothing solid has yet to come about about the "abuse" accusations. We shouldn't assume Ray is lying, but we don't just have to take his word for it either. Especially considering he isn't coming right out and saying what it was, everyone else is silent, and it's coming out in the middle of this Snyder Cut hysteria where people on both sides can barely speak in anything but passionate hyperbole.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Regardless of whether the trailer is for a movie or a streaming network work, I think the song should still match the tone of what's actually being shown in the trailer.

I think that's part of the problem. Outside of what you may or may not be able to read about Snyder himself, I think indepenent of that it's not necessarily a very good trailer. Visually it looks cool enough, but it's still a bunch of fairly random scenes which are completely drowned out by song which doesn't fit the imagery very well. It feels almost fan made.

Maybe it was rushed for the DC con thing, and by the time we get to the actual debut they will have a better made more polished trailer. But right now at least, I think the threatrical trailer blows the Snyder trailer out of he water.
    The song in the trailer got Fatman Beyond, Kevin Smith's show, kicked off You Tube for copyright violation! They were not happy about that.

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I think how you I interpret the song is also partially based on some of his recent social media comments. Justified or not, there's a bit of negativity towards the Whedon version and I think that's filtering into everything related to the Snyder cut.
    Personally, I think Snyder came across as extremely entitled and ungracious over his years of begging WB to let pick up the project again. While I don't think Whedon is a good man, I do think he's a decent filmmaker and the hate he's gotten for taking over the project isn't deserved, least of all since he didn't do anything morally wrong by finishing the film and it not being as good as it could've been. So, it is pretty easy for someone like me to read something negative into the song, given that I'm kinda over the principles involved and all that, esp. given the Whedon negativity that, as you said, has become a part of the Snyder Cut identity.

Remember this interesting essay that talked about trailer music and how it's picked (best to ignore his gripes on Star Wars music, but still).

Last edited by WebLurker; 08-24-2020 at 06:40 PM.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

In what way was this director abusive?

Wheedon is accused of something vague and non specific by one guy and thats an issue for you but Ezra miller physicaly assaulting a women on camera is ok. Hes allowed to be there like notning happened. Sad state of fandom indeed SMH.

BANNED

I feel as if the Whedon issue is a beaten dead horse but it has come alive again. some of the strong defence for Whedon has more to do with the fact that he is associated with Marvel than people really wanting to accept the otherwise probability.

Whedon does now have a pattern of this type of rumoured behaviour. his ex wife has complained about him and some cast members of Buffy, now Ray Fisher,All this are random people who have no link to the other. If we judge on that, he is likely more guilty of what Fisher said than the opposite. I think many don't want to consider he may be guilty only because they loved his Avengers movies.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    Wheedon is accused of something vague and non specific by one guy and thats an issue for you but Ezra miller physicaly assaulting a women on camera is ok. Hes allowed to be there like notning happened. Sad state of fandom indeed SMH.
    It's both down to public opinion, to judge but the former is harder to judge because we don't have actual direct first person impression made on us unlike in the latter case.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=HcK9hQlOYSI

To me the video looks staged, absolutely the guy at the end gives it the appearance of realness but it may be a reaction of someone who is second guessing a staged event.He may know it was for show but at the last moment is doubting it's a good idea. It does not scream to me as a real threatening or dangerous situation, especially from the 'victim's' reaction.Maybe that's just me but then again if someone is convinced it's real I guess it's their take.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    In what way was this director abusive?
    Exactly.

We literally and I mean literally don’t even know what happened between Fisher and Whedon. All we heard so far was that Whedon was trashing some of Snyder’s stuff.

Funny enough, Snyder is now very publicly trashing Whedon’s work..does that count as abusive?

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    I feel as if the Whedon issue is a beaten dead horse but it has come alive again. some of the strong defence for Whedon has more to do with the fact that he is associated with Marvel than people really wanting to accept the otherwise probability.

Whedon does now have a pattern of this type of rumoured behaviour. his ex wife has complained about him and some cast members of Buffy, now Ray Fisher,All this are random people who have no link to the other. If we judge on that, he is likely more guilty of what Fisher said than the opposite. I think many don't want to consider he may be guilty only because they loved his Avengers movies.
    His ex wife and Charisma Carpenter may have complained about him.... but to my knowledge they never said he was abusive towards them. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Personally, I think Snyder came across as extremely entitled and ungracious over his years of begging WB to let pick up the project again. While I don't think Whedon is a good man, I do think he's a decent filmmaker and the hate he's gotten for taking over the project isn't deserved, least of all since he didn't do anything morally wrong by finishing the film and it not being as good as it could've been. So, it is pretty easy for someone like me to read something negative into the song, given that I'm kinda over the principles involved and all that, esp. given the Whedon negativity that, as you said, has become a part of the Snyder Cut identity.

Remember this interesting essay that talked about trailer music and how it's picked (best to ignore his gripes on Star Wars music, but still).

Honestly, i don’t blame Snyder, I blame WB for greenligting JL without even seeing how BvS turned out.

MOS got a mixed response so the wise thing would have been to wait and see. Instead they allowed Snyder to make BvS (a boring,dull, misguided misfire) and JL back to back. WB then made the decision to take him off the project and apparently shift things in a new direction. Personally, i feel that Snyder should have finished his own “trilogy” although on a conceptual level, Snyder’s Randian ideology and nihilistic POV makes him a bad fit for these sort of movies (as well produced as Watchmen was, his ideology and Moore’s ideology quite clearly contradict themselves, hence why Snyder’s Rorsarch came across as a badass, unflinching hero when he was more of a right wing, bigoted anti-villain in the comic).

WB should simply commit to their new direction instead of dropping an addition $30 million for a version of a movie they themselves didn’t even want.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Honestly, i don’t blame Snyder, I blame WB for greenligting JL without even seeing how BvS turned out.

MOS got a mixed response so the wise thing would have been to wait and see. Instead they allowed Snyder to make BvS (a boring,dull, misguided misfire) and JL back to back. WB then made the decision to take him off the project and apparently shift things in a new direction. Personally, i feel that Snyder should have finished his own “trilogy” although on a conceptual level, Snyder’s Randian ideology and nihilistic POV makes him a bad fit for these sort of movies (as well produced as Watchmen was, his ideology and Moore’s ideology quite clearly contradict themselves, hence why Snyder’s Rorsarch came across as a badass, unflinching hero when he was more of a right wing, bigoted anti-villain in the comic).

WB should simply commit to their new direction instead of dropping an addition $30 million for a version of a movie they themselves didn’t even want.
    That’s what Warners wanted to do, but AT&T forced their hand in order boost subscriber numbers for HBO Max. If this was solely Warners call; they wouldn’t even bother bringing back Snyder for anything DC movie related ever again.
    Last edited by Amadeus Arkham; 08-25-2020 at 04:11 PM.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.