Page 95 of 211 FirstFirst ... 4585919293949596979899105145195 ... LastLast
Results 1,411 to 1,425 of 3155

Well anyway. Has there been any word about the reshoots vs Cavill saying he wasn't doing any? I assume maybe that interview was in the can before word broke that they were doing them but just curious. As someone else suggested it could also be that Superman isn't in any of the reshoots. Just curious if there's been an update.

Quote Originally Posted by Jokerz79 View Post
    IMO the big heavy hitters of live action comic book films that cultural and industry impact are Superman (1978), Batman (1989), X-Men (2000), X2, Raimi Spider-Man Films, Nolan Batman Trilogy, Iron Man, Avengers (2012), Guardians of the Galaxy (2014), Wonder Woman, Deadpool, Logan, Infinity War, Black Panther, and Endgame.

While I love Superman II, Winter Soldier, and DOFP I don't see them as Cultural or Industries Gamechangers.
    The good list but it is a bit smaller imo Superman (1978), Batman (1989), X2 and DOFP, Spider-Man film 1 & 2, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Avengers (2012), Logan, Joker, Infinity War, Black Panther, and Endgame.
    Last edited by Killerbee911; 09-28-2020 at 03:20 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Aquaman’s director wants to step things up for the second film. He is done with trying to make Aquaman light and funny.
    I'd like a quote, please.

Suicide Squad and Wonder Woman 2 are not out yet.
    They're not in danger of being cancelled, these are movies the DCEU is making. I would have included Shazam, Birds of Prey and the first Wonder Woman but CBR only allows three images, maximum.

Quote Originally Posted by SiegePerilous02 View Post
    Like I said, I don't think they do or else the films I listed previously wouldn't have high review scores.
    I mean I watched The Departed, which won the emmy for best picture in 2006 and it has the same RT score as Wonder Woman (91%). These films aren't anywhere near the same quality, even if Wonder Woman is one of the better superhero films. So on the face of it, how can you tell on RT which films are good and which ones are actually good? You can't really unless you read between the lines. So this metric does favour mediocre films.

This isn't a bug in the system either, its the point of RT, to provide a general recommendation to the public and not an in-depths assessment of the film's cinematic qualities. The problem is that people use it as the only arbiter of film quality and apply the scale as if it were a measure of film quality, which it isn't. A film with a 91% RT score isn't a better film than one with a 64%, it just has more critics who like it.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    I'd like a quote, please.

They're not in danger of being cancelled, these are movies the DCEU is making. I would have included Shazam, Birds of Prey and the first Wonder Woman but CBR only allows three images, maximum.
    I'd be surprised if the Aquaman film really wanted to stray from a very very successful formula. The thing earned a billion bucks. If it ain't broken ...

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I'd be surprised if the Aquaman film really wanted to stray from a very very successful formula. The thing earned a billion bucks. If it ain't broken ...
    True. I think anyone who managed to make that kind of money for them would get carte blanche on the next movie. Esp. after the last string of more or less flops.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Exactly. But I was curious if it was based on an actual quote or just something improvised too defend Snyder's honor.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Exactly. But I was curious if it was based on an actual quote or just something improvised too defend Snyder's honor.
    I'd like to know that too. Despite the humor in Aquaman, I found the drama more emotional than any Snyder movie.

I imagine the sequel will have more drama. I hope so, but I don't think it's going to be somber like the Snyder DC movies. James Wan actually knows how to make blockbusters for the masses.

BANNED

There is also stuff like Aladdin getting a rotten score, so it's not like Disney is immune.

The metric and nature of the reviews can be flawed, but there is no larger conspiracy theory going on here. If RT is biased towards safe and mediocre movies, why do Parasite, the Lighthouse, Midsommar, the Witch, and Saint Maud (really excited for this one) all have high scores? Maybe Joker is just a divisive movie that some view as not being as smart as it thinks it is? I don't always agree with the Red Letter guys, but they did have the assessment that it was "Baby's first Taxi Driver" and not that deep.
    Alladin is not a Disney movie that is seen as an immediate rival to DC.

Joker may be divisive , however we are supposed to be talking about a movie's standard of quality or subverting common expectations that adds to the quality.

If you look around, you will see only one type of movie get good reviews on RT because they have none of those factors I mentioned but all can be glossed over because they are fun.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Well (in no particular order), the original Spider-Man movies, Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse, Captain America: The Winter Solider, the Guardians of the Galaxy films, Wonder Woman, Batman: Mask of the Phantasm, X-Men 1, 2, First Class, Days of Future Past, and Logan stand out as movies remembered for being good.

Outside of GOTG and maybe Winter Solider from what you mentioned. Man of Steel easily joins those other movies. Those other movies were also released at a time, Disney has not yet tried to redefine or lower the expectations of comic book movies.

What "study?" You talk about how Man of Steel has staying power, but you don't really provide any info or context. From my experience, Man of Steel was pretty quickly supplanted by BvS as being the case study for Snyder's take on Superman and when it does come up, it's usually in regards to what it did wrong. All that said, I've yet to see it being remembered in any great capacity, either as the gold standard or as one of the greatest of the bombs
    #

If you go on youtube, you will see more smart commentary of more people defending man of steel, maybe more than wonder woman and the last act and over many MCU movies. Man of steel is aging well.

Man of Steel will age better than X-Men 1 or Batman Begins because Man of Steel redefined Superman as a character while the other movies just made comic book movies that were unfriendly to kids.

Both were praised for being different then most of the MCU movies, and a lot of us who like the MCU also liked them (never saw Deadpool, but I do think Logan deserves a place with the best of the best in the genre). Dunno where you've been living, but they are not disliked movies at all.
    I think Deadpool and Logan were too far gone. if Logan and deadpool were the first xmen movies that came out after the first two avengers movies, it wold have had a lukewarm reception like man of steel and joker did. Critics seems to be trying very hard to rewrite their own history.

How so?
    Man of Steel is very much a Snyder film as much as Logan was a James film. both movies are not getting all mass manufactured. Neither movies are light fluff. Logan only got away with it because xmen has been selling dark, serious and gritty for years while no one has ever seen Superman try to sell it on screen.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Alladin is not a Disney movie that is seen as an immediate rival to DC.

Joker may be divisive , however we are supposed to be talking about a movie's standard of quality or subverting common expectations that adds to the quality.

If you look around, you will see only one type of movie get good reviews on RT because they have none of those factors I mentioned but all can be glossed over because they are fun.
    The movies I listed are all different from each other, and different from the MCU, and they all have a high percentage indicating that most of the number of reviewers had favorable opinions on them. Same with the MCU based on what those films set out to do. They may not set out to subvert expectations but they succeed in what they want to do, which is be entertaining/fun and have what most people view as engaging and likable characters. So all films are or should be judged by what they set out to accomplish and how well they execute that.

I don't get why the divisive or low RT scores mean quality isn't being talked about. Would this even be a discussion if Joker had the same score as the Dark Knight? Again, maybe not everyone is blind to the genius of the film and maybe it's just not a movie that appeals to everyone or that some people can see flaws in? Subject matter doesn't matter, you have to execute it well. It's also why "subverting expectations" doesn't mean anything either. Your film still has to be coherent even if you subvert expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by Killerbee911 View Post
    The good list but it is a bit smaller imo Superman (1978), Batman (1989), X2 and DOFP, Spider-Man film 1 & 2, The Dark Knight, Iron Man, Avengers (2012), Logan, Joker, Infinity War, Black Panther, and Endgame.
    Good mention of Joker forgot that but yeah I would include it. Oh I also agree Spider-Man 3 and the other two Nolan Batman films besides The Dark Knight can be dropped just easier to list them as Nolan and Raimi Trilogies. I still would keep GOTG simply because it was such an obscure title from Marvel and became hit it made people realize even the really odd smalltime characters could be big movies.

Astonishing Member

Outside of GOTG and maybe Winter Solider from what you mentioned. Man of Steel easily joins those other movies. Those other movies were also released at a time, Disney has not yet tried to redefine or lower the expectations of comic book movies.
    Winter Soldier was a Disney produced film, their first film with Marvel was Avengers.

If you go on youtube, you will see more smart commentary of more people defending man of steel, maybe more than wonder woman and the last act and over many MCU movies. Man of steel is aging well.
    You Tube proves nothing. I can find just as much critical reviews of Man of Steel from various reviewers. Including professional ones.

Before B vs S, Man of Steel was the third rail in the DCEU for Snyder films.

Man of Steel will age better than X-Men 1 or Batman Begins because Man of Steel redefined Superman as a character while the other movies just made comic book movies that were unfriendly to kids.
    That's an opinion, not fact. It redefining Superman for 2 movies which was backtracked in the DCEU itself in the third because WB hated the backlash. It hurt the Superman brand so badly he hasn't been a high priority for a solo film since Man of Steel.

I think Deadpool and Logan were too far gone. if Logan and deadpool were the first xmen movies that came out after the first two avengers movies, it wold have had a lukewarm reception like man of steel and joker did. Critics seems to be trying very hard to rewrite their own history.
    Nope. Critics aren't rewriting anything.

Man of Steel is very much a Snyder film as much as Logan was a James film. both movies are not getting all mass manufactured. Neither movies are light fluff. Logan only got away with it because xmen has been selling dark, serious and gritty for years while no one has ever seen Superman try to sell it on screen.
    Both were multi million dollar projects for high profile licenses in pop culture made by Fox and WB, neither were indy movies. The reason Man of Steel wasn't as beloved as Logan is that the story Logan was making suited the characters grim roots and the director was of higher caliber in craft than Snyder. X-men has dark stories, but they're not gritty. Wolverine's franchise fit that mould, and only after X-men: Origins - Wolverine which was light hearted fare.

There is also stuff like Aladdin getting a rotten score, so it's not like Disney is immune.

The metric and nature of the reviews can be flawed, but there is no larger conspiracy theory going on here. If RT is biased towards safe and mediocre movies, why do Parasite, the Lighthouse, Midsommar, the Witch, and Saint Maud (really excited for this one) all have high scores? Maybe Joker is just a divisive movie that some view as not being as smart as it thinks it is? I don't always agree with the Red Letter guys, but they did have the assessment that it was "Baby's first Taxi Driver" and not that deep.
    During RLM's review of Joker though, they did say they wish more Hollywood films were more like it. The thing is with the RLM guys, is that they don't really like superhero movies as much as they like Star Wars, Star Trek and other classic franchises. They give positive reviews to them sure, but they never assess them beyond being junk food media. They also generally like campier superhero films, which is why when Shazam came out they called it the best superhero film since Spiderman 2.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    During RLM's review of Joker though, they did say they wish more Hollywood films were more like it. The thing is with the RLM guys, is that they don't really like superhero movies as much as they like Star Wars, Star Trek and other classic franchises. They give positive reviews to them sure, but they never assess them beyond being junk food media. They also generally like campier superhero films, which is why when Shazam came out they called it the best superhero film since Spiderman 2.
    I mean, I say this as someone who loves the characters and a lot of the comics but...that's basically what most of them are gonna be when the Hollywood machine gets ahold of them. Look at how much merchandise they are designed to move. And that's ok, there is a place for that stuff.

This belief that RT mainly favors mediocre movies because Joker doesn't have a score in the 90s or whatever reminds of that video of that one guy having an absolute meltdown that Joker didn't win Best Picture but Parasite did.