Page 59 of 211 FirstFirst ... 94955565758596061626369109159 ... LastLast

This is Kurgan from Highlander. This is almost everything you could want from a Steppenwolf design, and they did this with completely practical effects back in 1986.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Good times

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You think Steppenwolf was Avatar level CGI and better than Thanos?

Lol Steppenwolf and Doomsday both go crapped on from all directions. Thanos drew immense amount of praise. **** the cgi and design on the Black Order who were 2d background noise was better. But Thanos is clearly where they spent all the money and it showed. You can see the pours stretching and the muscles under his skin moving.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Snyder's VFX talent rivals James Cameron.
    But not George Lucas's or Michael Bay's (and one of them was a better storyteller).
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

This is Kurgan from Highlander. This is almost everything you could want from a Steppenwolf design, and they did this with completely practical effects back in 1986.
    Yes. Going with a villain that isn't CGI can actually work and still feel inhumanely evil.
    Power with Girl is better.

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Powerboy View Post
    Yes. Going with a villain that isn't CGI can actually work and still feel inhumanely evil.
    You can't go wrong with Lex Luthor in a bear skull helmet.

Ciaran Hinds got Rutger Hauered. I was excited to watch Hauer in Batman Begins where he actually does.... nothing. It was probably just a nod to Blade Runner as a visual inspiration. What is Hinds a nod to? Rome? GoT?
    I could live with the design of Steppenwolf but with Thanos you actually see Brolin underneath. Hinds just collected a paycheck.

BANNED

You can't go wrong with Clancy Brown.

Steppenwolf had two problems:

-bad CGI
    -having only a little more to do than Doomsday in Dawn of Justice.

BANNED

This is the reason comic films in 2020 don't win Oscars for best visual effects. If you think this and Thanos were perfect then you need to see more movies. Snyder, all would agree knows how to do VFX even if they argue about his story telling talents, His final act should look better than Thanos, who felt more suited to a computer video game if you were to compare it to Pirates of the Caribbean or Planet of Apes. Snyder's VFX talent rivals James Cameron.
    If you think that Thanos was not great CGI you need your bias checked.

"all would agree" Please stop doing that. It is getting tiresome seeing you always trying to sell your opinion as fact or something "all would agree"on. At least you stopped using subjectively and objectively wrong.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    You think Steppenwolf was Avatar level CGI and better than Thanos?

Its not impossible for SW to look better than Thanos. I am more of a judging director on everything they have done. We don't know yet how Steppenwolf is going to look next year on HBO Max, what we have now are rough cuts short posted online. I trust Snyder's past work with spectacular visuals and HBO. he can be as good as James Cameron in that area, Cameron himself is a fan of how Snyder does his films.

https://screenrant.com/james-cameron...snyder-movies/

https://www.slashfilm.com/james-cameron-inspirations/
    James Cameron Talks About the Filmmakers That Inspire Him (Like Zack Snyder)

When James Cameron himself is taking inspiration from Snyder's visual style, its seem un-thoughtful to say its impossible Snyder can produce anything better than Thanos and this is the same Cameron who once called Infinity War with Thanos uninspiring and silly.

The irony here is spot on. you think its impossible for Snyder to produce something as good as Avatar and Thanos but the Avatar director loves how Snyder's makes his movies and dislike everything about Thanos.

There are more cards for Trust with Snyder to have visuals as good as Avatar or better.
    Last edited by Castle; 08-11-2020 at 01:00 AM.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by lowfyr View Post
    If you think that Thanos was not great CGI you need your bias checked.

"all would agree" Please stop doing that. It is getting tiresome seeing you always trying to sell your opinion as fact or something "all would agree"on. At least you stopped using subjectively and objectively wrong.
    Thanos did not have bad CGI, he did not have the best. The CGI from Snyder's 300 is better than Thanos. Man of Steel's VFX is better than Endgame and Infinity Wars.

I hate to break it to you but most of Snyder's movies if not all blow many marvel films out of the water with VFX. You can argue story telling in favour of marvel but not VFX.

Astonishing Member

...and wouldn't pass as more than a side character in a MCU Thor movie, possibly comedic, with not a lot of CGI budget spent on, and probably as obscure in source comics as Steppenwolf is in DC comics at large to this day. If the bigger point is Steppenwolf being an odd choice to anchor such an apparently huge ensemble superhero project, well, I guess that's why we're merely posting here about an OP.
    Last edited by Wildling; 08-11-2020 at 01:05 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'm no comic book purist, but you can't tell me it was hard to do this but in live action?

How hard was it to put Ciaran Hinds in a suit and get the man to act? He's a fantastic actor with great screen presence and anyone who's seen Game of Thrones knows he can definitely be a great villain. This is just a borderline faceless CGI construct. There's no way anyone can even relate to it on any level.

It's funny how Snyder gets so much praise as a visual director but these CGI-heavy kind of designs age really fast over practical work. In fact it's an already aged design. This is the kind of stuff you got in Michael Bay's Transformers movies.
    It is not hard to do but Ciaran Hinds is 67 years old ,putting him in actual action (even if we show by VFX feats of super strength and superspeed ) against the whole league is an incredibly physical rehearsal, Shannon in MoS may have been up for that ,Ciaran highly unlikely. Besides we do not know the lore,Uxas is shown in the beginning as more human then you have Darkseid an almost chiselled rock face with red eyes,how do you go from the former to the latter? It is the same with Steppenwolf ,he must have looked at least more like Uxas initially and something maybe the anti-life changed him.The key is in the story and we do not know the entirety of the story yet
    Last edited by Rev9; 08-11-2020 at 01:53 AM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    "Not all Apokalipsians" doesn't change the fact that Steppenwolf is supposed to look human (which is less important) and making him look human would simply be the better choice to avoid overuse of CGI that is already outdated (which is more important).

What??? It was Snyder's idea to re-contextualise Steppenwolf and the Parademons as a painting of Lucifer and his angels/demons in Luthor Sr's office, not mine.
    Theist ,atheist or agnostic angels and demons are technically and literally extra-terrestrial or extra dimensional beings.So Zack did not re-contextualise!

BANNED

Thanos did not have bad CGI, he did not have the best. The CGI from Snyder's 300 is better than Thanos. Man of Steel's VFX is better than Endgame and Infinity Wars.

I hate to break it to you but most of Snyder's movies if not all blow many marvel films out of the water with VFX. You can argue story telling in favour of marvel but not VFX.
    And I hate to break it to you, but again that is just your opinion that shows your bias.
    I mean you could argue that 300 was perhaps the first to use CGI for getting the actors their trained bodies on that scale, but saying that it or Man of Steel had better CGI than Infinity War and Endgame is stretching it. Compared to most MCU movies both movies don't best them in that.

The only one that is not as good in my opinion would be the endfight in Black Panther. That looked as cheap as Steppenwolf in JL.
    Last edited by lowfyr; 08-11-2020 at 02:23 AM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Yea, Snyder's VFX talents (which are not even his talents) are better than anything Marvel has ever done and rivals James Cameron.

That's exactly why almost none of his films have been recognised by any awarding bodies in that field, unlike the other two.