Page 15 of 211 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565115 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree with you.

They took a chance that they could change it and make it better. Honestly I think it did make it better, but even the chance of it being good is better than the certainty of it being bad.

Give Bruce Wayne's 1% speech in BvS, I'm sure Snyder would agree.
    We weren't supposed to agree with Bruce.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    We weren't supposed to agree with Bruce.
    We're not supposed to yet it was undermined how Superman's characterised as a ticking tie bomb waiting to go off. All it takes is for someone to murder Lois and he becomes Injustice Superman, and he was on edge from the start of B vs S. I don't know why he has a problem with Batman, Batman's just doing what he does except with bullets.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
    MoS was ok, even BVS made money, JL was a flop for many reasons.

Even MCU only had Iron Man as a very successful figure in phase 1 and IM2 was a bit letdown, WB reacted way too quickly without patience.
    WB showed lack of judgement. Reacting too quickly with BvS and using Whedon to make JL like Avengers. WB does not care anymore what people think. WB has figured out they don't have to be subdued to make movies from the MCU playbook. Joker has made them see the light. The worse that would happen is for critics to trash the Snyder cut, but guess what, no one is going to listen to the lame ass critics. Fans are not going to be influenced by them, The Snyder's cut is going to be much better than Endgame that was a boring incoherent mess.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    WB showed lack of judgement. Reacting too quickly with BvS and using Whedon to make JL like Avengers. WB does not care anymore what people think. WB has figured out they don't have to be subdued to make movies from the MCU playbook. Joker has made them see the light. The worse that would happen is for critics to trash the Snyder cut, but guess what, no one is going to listen to the lame ass critics. Fans are not going to be influenced by them, The Snyder's cut is going to be much better than Endgame that was a boring incoherent mess.
    If you think so....

LoL.

Snyder making The Fountainhead?

Nobody will want to see another movie of his again.

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    If you really want to get into this semantic argument again I’m sure someone is willing, but I’m not the guy.

He’s making movies. Where they get released doesn’t change that he is, in fact, professionally making movies. So the statement that his showing up to make movies again being “unlikely” was completely incorrect. That was all I was saying.

I don’t know why anyone questioned my comment. He is making movies. Think of him or his output what you will, doesn’t change that he is currently making two movies.
    I used the term cinema for a reason. Of course he's still making movies. There are several steps down the ladder before you wash out the back of the business entirely. Going from big budget cinematic releases for major studios to much lower budget genre movies for Netflix is a step down. Sorry, but it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    "Joker" was specifically outside of the DCEU. That was their safety net. With the success of "Aquaman", I doubt WB is going to approach their DCEU movies like they did "Joker". "Aquaman" itself was a response to the reasons people disliked their previous movies and an attempt to show they were lightening up in their DCEU movies. With it's success, there's little chance the DCEU will depart from what they now see as a winning approach.

As for "Endgame", of course they are going to be influenced by a movie that made a billion at the box office and analyze why it was so successful.
    Power with Girl is better.

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    I used the term cinema for a reason. Of course he's still making movies. There are several steps down the ladder before you wash out the back of the business entirely. Going from big budget cinematic releases for major studios to much lower budget genre movies for Netflix is a step down. Sorry, but it is.
    You don't have to apologize to me, I have no dog in this fight. I just think it's funny the idea that Snyder is somehow washed out of the industry and can maybe if it all goes well, slum it in TV when literally everything else points to a very different reality.

You can belittle the size of the screen, but David Fincher didn't have a problem with it. The Coen Brothers didn't have a problem with it. Martin Scorsese didn't have a problem with it. Nor did any of the incredible actors they got to star in these projects. All steps down career-wise, apparently. According to matthew of the internet, anyway.

So he's making an almost 100 Million Dollar movie for that platform, alongside some pretty incredible names. Step down? I don't see it. You can site smaller budgets, but not everything costs the same amount of money to make. And budgets don't only go up in successful careers.

And "genre" movie. Like, has the guy ever made anything other than genre movies?! No! That is what he makes, by choice.

He's also being handed a huge amount of money, in an unprecedented move, to go finish a movie that was already released. Not just finish, but create new content whole cloth. Bringing actors back years later. It seems like his career is doing just fine right now. Ridley Scott did that for Blade Runner. Anyone else? I can't think of anything.

Maybe if both of these things are awful and panned, and don't make their money back his career will be in a very different place, but as of right now I don't see any reason to assume he's not doing just fine, let alone sitting in a pretty privileged position in Hollywood.

Ultimate Member

You don't have to apologize to me, I have no dog in this fight. I just think it's funny the idea that Snyder is somehow washed out of the industry and can maybe if it all goes well, slum it in TV when literally everything else points to a very different reality.

You can belittle the size of the screen, but David Fincher didn't have a problem with it. The Coen Brothers didn't have a problem with it. Martin Scorsese didn't have a problem with it. Nor did any of the incredible actors they got to star in these projects. All steps down career-wise, apparently. According to matthew of the internet, anyway.

So he's making an almost 100 Million Dollar movie for that platform, alongside some pretty incredible names. Step down? I don't see it. You can site smaller budgets, but not everything costs the same amount of money to make. And budgets don't only go up in successful careers.

And "genre" movie. Like, has the guy ever made anything other than genre movies?! No! That is what he makes, by choice.

He's also being handed a huge amount of money, in an unprecedented move, to go finish a movie that was already released. Not just finish, but create new content whole cloth. Bringing actors back years later. It seems like his career is doing just fine right now. Ridley Scott did that for Blade Runner. Anyone else? I can't think of anything.

Maybe if both of these things are awful and panned, and don't make their money back his career will be in a very different place, but as of right now I don't see any reason to assume he's not doing just fine, let alone sitting in a pretty privileged position in Hollywood.
    Don't forget Adam Sandler has been doing fine on Netflix as has Marlon Wayans.

Viola Davis & Octavia Spencer seem to be doing fine as well.

And how many folks are making movies for those film festivals and getting paid?

It's not a step down it's a way to bypass bigger studios who want too much control and profit.

BANNED

I hope your expectations are realized by a broad audience. Zach is making a big deal out of having no interference on this movie. This is Snyder Unleashed. If he does poorly, his career is effectively ended, I suspect, and I don't wish that for him. If he does well, it may still be received poorly. It's no good doing something well if no one wants to buy it.

I personally think it's an uphill battle for him. With his films, the expectations have almost always exceeded the results (financially at least). I hope that's not true in this case. I hope it does justifiably mean his return to cinema. He has vision that can never be fully realized on the small screen. He just had trouble connecting with what people actually want.

Saying it's a step down doesn't imply that it is shameful to be making movies for Netflix. It's 1 step down, not 5 steps down. He could be making movies for Crackle or Hallmark.

Martin Scorsese didn't make a movie for Netflix because he had to, he chose to do that. He hasn't taken a step down, he can do whatever he wants. Snyder is making movies for Netflix because his last few movies did poorly, that's just the flat truth. He'd rather being with WB still and taking in a bigger paycheck.

Again, nothing wrong with Netflix!

Quote Originally Posted by skyvolt2000 View Post
    Don't forget Adam Sandler has been doing fine on Netflix as has Marlon Wayans.

Viola Davis & Octavia Spencer seem to be doing fine as well.

And how many folks are making movies for those film festivals and getting paid?

It's not a step down it's a way to bypass bigger studios who want too much control and profit.
    Adam Sandler used to be the biggest star in comedy. Yes, it's a step down to now being doing Murder Mystery on Netflix (which I liked!)

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by matthew View Post
    Saying it's a step down doesn't imply that it is shameful to be making movies for Netflix. It's 1 step down, not 5 steps down. He could be making movies for Crackle or Hallmark.

Martin Scorsese didn't make a movie for Netflix because he had to, he chose to do that. He hasn't taken a step down, he can do whatever he wants. Snyder is making movies for Netflix because his last few movies did poorly, that's just the flat truth. He'd rather being with WB still and taking in a bigger paycheck.

Again, nothing wrong with Netflix!
    Actually Scorsese did have to do a movie with Netflix cuz no studio would back his budget. But I do think you're exaggerating the failures of Snyder here. If he was that bad,HBO and Netflix wouldn't be bankrolling millions to him to make movies.
    Last edited by CliffHanger2; 05-29-2020 at 02:20 PM.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by CliffHanger2 View Post
    Actually Scorsese did have to do a movie with Netflix cuz no studio would back his budget. But I do think you're exaggerating the failures of Snyder here. If he was that bad,HBO and Netflix wouldn't be bankrolling millions to him t make movies.
    Yeah nowadays only Nolan could possibly get such a budget for a non-franchise title and still hope to be commercially viable, pandemic aside.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Wildling View Post
    Yeah nowadays only Nolan could possibly get such a budget for a non-franchise title and still hope to be commercially viable, pandemic aside.
    Yeah maybe a few others too. But Snyder is definitely in that class that they see as a good investment.