Page 160 of 211 FirstFirst ... 60110150156157158159160161162163164170210 ... LastLast
Results 2,386 to 2,400 of 3155
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by thwhtGuardian View Post
    In what way would that be ironic? I don't think the word means what you seem to think it does.
    it's irony. they tried to get rid of snyder even wipe out synder-style from the face of DC, So the Snyder cut triumphing , will be a sweet irony.

The idea that Snyder's Justice League will be universally loved, when both his other films are so divisive, seems unlikely.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    it's irony. they tried to get rid of snyder even wipe out synder-style from the face of DC, So the Snyder cut triumphing , will be a sweet irony.
    That doesn't fit with any real definition of irony...except maybe to Alanis Morissette.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

the costume was just a symptom.

I have no bone to pick with Aquaman, he is a cool charcater. However I dont think Aquaman kinds of movies are the one future of DC movies.

Well I said, it will be ironic when Snyder's cut becomes a hit with audience now that 84 isnt.
    It is literally the same costume. Superheroes mostly wear bright, colorful costumes and people are fine with it. Of the numerous complaints about WW8, the costume being colorful was not one of them.

Let's not count our chickens before they hatch. We don't know if the Snyder cut will be a big hit with people outside of the core fanbase. BvS was poised to be a hit and we all know how quickly people lost interest in that. It might be a hit, it might also get an underwhelming reception like WW84 did.

man of steel was not black and white. it handled the superman is a threat or not issue well and Clark trying to find his way around life as Clark and Superman on a balance.

It also made Zod a bit sympathetic
    In very surface level ways that don't seem like they ever had a chance to pan out in an interesting way if the leaked early plot ideas are any indication of where the mind set was

Clark was a mostly passive plot device in the films, he would have remained so all the way through his five film "arc". It raised questions in an attempt to appear smart, but didn't set out to devote time to exploring them. It would have devolved into action figures punching each other in the end.

it handled the superman is a threat or not issue well
    I disagree. I don't think we even need to address the idea of whether Superman is a threat or not.

Think about it. Is there anyone that wanted a Superman movie where there's a good point about him being a threat, or do people want a Superman movie where he's very clearly a superhero?

Look at Ghostbusters (the original classic). Peck did have some good points, but at no point in the movie did they ever even try to make you think that the good guys in the movie weren't actually the good guys.

Having just watched all the Snyderverse DC movies up to Justice League, I give odds on the Snyder Cut being a hit at 50-50, at best. Being on HBO Max and not at theaters, I don’t know what kind of metrics Warner/AT&T are using to judge whether or not it’s successful. I think we’ll only ever know if critics and fans like it or not.

The real interesting thing is what if it is massively successful, what does DCEU do then? Bring back Snyder?

Snyder at least has ideas, but they’re so hit and miss.

Warner has made such a hash of its movie “universe” franchise, I’m not sure if anything can be done to put it back together.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    I disagree. I don't think we even need to address the idea of whether Superman is a threat or not.

Think about it. Is there anyone that wanted a Superman movie where there's a good point about him being a threat, or do people want a Superman movie where he's very clearly a superhero?

Look at Ghostbusters (the original classic). Peck did have some good points, but at no point in the movie did they ever even try to make you think that the good guys in the movie weren't actually the good guys.
    Why not? I certainly do, and I imagine there are others who want it to be explored as well.

I liked how it was kind of explored in Early New 52 (where Clark was still figuring things out. Unfortunately they decided to abandon that and do a time skip). Most stories just outright skip to Superman being an established hero...I want more stories where he's figuring it out and where the world is coming to terms with his existence.
    DC Extended Universe Thread (DCEU)

That's how it starts. The fever. The rage. The feeling of powerlessness. That turns good men....Cruel - Alfred.

This may be the only thing that I do that matters - Bruce.

Stay down, if I wanted it, you would be dead already - Clark.

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

It might be interesting to explore if it is actually done well and Clark comes out looking like a three dimensional hero who ends up being embraced in the end. The New 52 version may have resolved it too quickly, but at least he had a personality and earned the right to be embraced by saving the day.

This wasn't the case with the movies. He's a passive 2 dimensional bore for the most part who doesn't seem to want to be Superman, the questions are raised but not really examined and then he dies and everyone loves his memory. It wants his death to mean something even though he wasn't established and loved enough before hand to earn it. Doing it half assed is worse than not doing it at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    The disappointment of WW84 had nothing to do with the colors or costume. It wasn't any more comic bookie than BVS. It just wasn't a compelling story with weak villains.

Aquaman was very colorful and a big hit.
    The Villains a where not the problem with that movie witch really is still a good movie not great but good.

Quote Originally Posted by 80sbaby View Post
    The idea that Snyder's Justice League will be universally loved, when both his other films are so divisive, seems unlikely.
    People are going to hate on it no matter what just like I'm sure some people are going to love it no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by green_garnish View Post
    I'd argue its more likely to happen when DC hires traditionally Marvel talent and you get something like fantastic like Teen Titans. Now there's a bright spot.

At the same time Starlin was doing lead-ins to Infinity War, Cary Bates was doing Flash one off issues where there was still an editorial mandate to have a new way to change into their costume every month.
    DC already did their fair share of good events before Infinity War such as Invasion, Cosmic Odyssey, Legends. Some of that was written by Starlin too.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by LifeIsILL View Post
    DC already did their fair share of good events before Infinity War such as Invasion, Cosmic Odyssey, Legends. Some of that was written by Starlin too.
    I indicated "lead ins" to Infinity War, which was in the early to mid 70s.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by choptop View Post
    The Villains a where not the problem with that movie witch really is still a good movie not great but good.
    to be a fair critic, I hope DC in time will let go of of this false narrative that there needs to be a big villain fight in the end. look at comic films from 15- 20 years ago. the dark knight has no big 3rd act cgi fight, X-Men 2 had no big 3rd act cgi fight, Spiderman 2 had no big 3rd act cgi act. none of them pulled that generic superhero gimmick in the last act of their movies.

BvS should have ended with the batman v superman fight, Doomsday was a weakness. the fight was not necessary and was not even a main part of the story , it was just there because...this is what we expect from comic books. a big ending cgi fight where you are going to wreck the whole place.

to be a fair critic, I hope DC in time will let go of of this false narrative that there needs to be a big villain fight in the end. look at comic films from 15- 20 years ago. the dark knight has no big 3rd act cgi fight, X-Men 2 had no big 3rd act cgi fight, Spiderman 2 had no big 3rd act cgi act. none of them pulled that generic superhero gimmick in the last act of their movies.

BvS should have ended with the batman v superman fight, Doomsday was a weakness. the fight was not necessary and was not even a main part of the story , it was just there because...this is what we expect from comic books. a big ending cgi fight where you are going to wreck the whole place.
    Without Doomsday, we don’t get Wonder Woman.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Without Doomsday, we don’t get Wonder Woman.
    Wonder Woman was already in the 2nd act movie, nothing would have changed much if the doomsday fight was removed, Bruce already knew who she was at the party anyway.

the main fight was batman v superman and it was great and tied to the plot that had been building.,

But the Doomsday fight was the movie trying to be Avengers or Transformers but only with much courtesy because the news kept on telling us ,there was no people in the city that doomdsay was burning down.

That was a weakness of the film I will admit as a fan.