Page 105 of 211 FirstFirst ... 55595101102103104105106107108109115155205 ... LastLast
Results 1,561 to 1,575 of 3155

I like Nolan Batman movies but wished someone else directed the action scenes. Give me Nolan story with Synder action

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I'm hoping I likes what Reeves does more than Nolan or Snyder. Nolan made very good films, above average for Summer blockbusters/CBMs, but they didn't really "feel" like Batman to me. Bale is a great actor, but he bored me in that role and his Bat-voice was ridiculous. Affleck is a weaker actor with much more limited range, but his range happens to fall in the area where he would be good casting for Bruce. Preferably back when he was younger, but even so he looked great in the suit. He was just stuck in a very poorly done story.

As far as live action, West and Keaton are still the greats. Keaton doesn't look the part of Wayne and I didn't like the killing of criminals (barring maybe the Joker), but I like his more aloof/quirky Bruce more than either Bale or Affleck's, with the restrained (but effective) whisper voice. My love for Burton's films is mainly nostalgia based because they get some stuff wrong and there is a lot of camp despite the spooky atmosphere, but they're fun and easier to re-watch even if it's in a "comfort food" way. Not to mention they just have much better dialogue and memorable set designs than the Nolan or Snyder films.

BTAS still reigns supreme though

Quote Originally Posted by Menacer View Post
    Ive been a fan of nolan since The Following and Memento...

Insomnia didn't do much for me, but its well acted.

Prestige was really amazing and bale shines in unlikable rolls, think American Psycho, American Hustle, The Big Short, The Machinist... I never connect with Bale as the good guy or hero, he's just not likeable and his American accent has a phoniness that adds to his unlikable quality...

Nolan made spectacular films in Inception, Interstellar and Tenet... Dunkirk is quite good too...

For me Bale is an embarrassment as Batman... badman collegehumor hits it squarely on the head in recreating all the Bale Batman problems. Preachy, the silly growing, etc etc... Bale actually has gone on record as saying he does not like his Batman performance...

Heath Ledger's is the only character that elevated the materials... though stripped of a lot of qualities I traditionally like about the Joker... live action Jack Nicholson and Mark Hamill's animated version appeal to me more. But like I said Heath was the only aspect of Nolans trilogy that took the material into a wildly impressive force of nature performance...

All the other villians are so stripped down, scarecrow, catwoman, talia, ras, two face... totally forgettable... tom hardy does a good job with Bane but again stripped of venom and in a subpar movie...

GOTHAM and the esthetic is all bland and boring. We went from Anton furst gotham! Visionary like gigers work on aliens... or the Animated series noir brilliance... to chicago... wtf

Batman Begins bored me, I could break it down but Katie Holmes is in it and her performance some how manages to be better then bale... yikes

Tdk easily the strongest film, carried on the back of heaths career high performance...

Tdkr forgettable really... ive read knightfall while nolan services the story Im just not excited by his constant stripping down of everything... his style is styleless... which works for films like inception when the plot is so cerebral... or tenet or Memento where he's playing with time... but his batman plots were decidedly straight forward and simple and heavily over explained... burton let the audience discover things... nolan showed and then explained everything... like watching a movie while being hit with a sledge hammer

Bale and the suits... none of the nolan suits looked right.

Obviously this is all my opinion and it sucks cause Im a huge huge huge nolan fan..

Ive seen nearly all his films in theatres

He didnt get batman as I like to experience it

Im happy for everyone who loved his films.

We need variety in creative directors.

But burton is king, and zack has done an awesome job of really bring a very comic booky experience to the big screen...

Im probably being overly critical of nolans films... i was just so so so so hyped for his take....

Sucks I didn't connect with it
    Okay, that's fair. I did like them and I'm not much of a fan of the dark, gritty superhero take, but I thought Nolan did it right (saw them after seeing Snyder's stuff, and I have to say that I think Nolan did what Snyder was trying to do but couldn't). But that's just my opinion.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    Okay, that's fair. I did like them and I'm not much of a fan of the dark, gritty superhero take, but I thought Nolan did it right (saw them after seeing Snyder's stuff, and I have to say that I think Nolan did what Snyder was trying to do but couldn't). But that's just my opinion.
    The thing is I don't believe Nolan went for "Dark or Gritty" but a realistic approach creating a Batman and rogues that could exist in our world that works with nonpowered ground level heroes like Batman.

I mean while not comic relief Alfred definitely brought levity to the films even Bruce cracked the occasional joke like "I'm going to tell them it was all your idea" when telling Alfred he's going to confess to being Batman.

Astonishing Member

Bvs was the first Batman film I loved since 1992s Batman Returns.
    Any thoughts on Mask Of Phantasm?
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    Any thoughts on Mask Of Phantasm?
    Omg the best animated film to this day. Conroy and Hamill shredded the screen and some how these guys designed a totally original villain that is as cool as the classic rogues... on top of that they developed Bruce as an individual... with a life and this epic beautiful long lost love plot... add in the mob scared stiff... it was all the elements so finely balanced and so flawlessly executed... this isn't nostalgia, it isn't bias, it's scientific fact that Batman Mask of the Phantasm is the gold standard in animation....

If it were fair to compare to live action I may go there... but absolutely for young or old me, that movie is a dream come true in masterfully executed superhero story telling.

Just my 2 cents though

Extraordinary Member

Ive been a fan of nolan since The Following and Memento...

Insomnia didn't do much for me, but its well acted.

Prestige was really amazing and bale shines in unlikable rolls, think American Psycho, American Hustle, The Big Short, The Machinist... I never connect with Bale as the good guy or hero, he's just not likeable and his American accent has a phoniness that adds to his unlikable quality...

Nolan made spectacular films in Inception, Interstellar and Tenet... Dunkirk is quite good too...

For me Bale is an embarrassment as Batman... badman collegehumor hits it squarely on the head in recreating all the Bale Batman problems. Preachy, the silly growing, etc etc... Bale actually has gone on record as saying he does not like his Batman performance...

Heath Ledger's is the only character that elevated the materials... though stripped of a lot of qualities I traditionally like about the Joker... live action Jack Nicholson and Mark Hamill's animated version appeal to me more. But like I said Heath was the only aspect of Nolans trilogy that took the material into a wildly impressive force of nature performance...

All the other villians are so stripped down, scarecrow, catwoman, talia, ras, two face... totally forgettable... tom hardy does a good job with Bane but again stripped of venom and in a subpar movie...

GOTHAM and the esthetic is all bland and boring. We went from Anton furst gotham! Visionary like gigers work on aliens... or the Animated series noir brilliance... to chicago... wtf

Batman Begins bored me, I could break it down but Katie Holmes is in it and her performance some how manages to be better then bale... yikes

Tdk easily the strongest film, carried on the back of heaths career high performance...

Tdkr forgettable really... ive read knightfall while nolan services the story Im just not excited by his constant stripping down of everything... his style is styleless... which works for films like inception when the plot is so cerebral... or tenet or Memento where he's playing with time... but his batman plots were decidedly straight forward and simple and heavily over explained... burton let the audience discover things... nolan showed and then explained everything... like watching a movie while being hit with a sledge hammer

Bale and the suits... none of the nolan suits looked right.

Obviously this is all my opinion and it sucks cause Im a huge huge huge nolan fan..

Ive seen nearly all his films in theatres

He didnt get batman as I like to experience it

Im happy for everyone who loved his films.

We need variety in creative directors.

But burton is king, and zack has done an awesome job of really bring a very comic booky experience to the big screen...

Im probably being overly critical of nolans films... i was just so so so so hyped for his take....

Sucks I didn't connect with it
    I agree with most of this. It's hard not to sound overly critical when something has been hyped to the moon so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Inquisitor View Post
    Redemption implies Snyder thought he did something wrong with his movies in the DCEU. What's the opposite of redemption?
    He was right - he knew it all along. It dangles on a string like some kind of slow-spinning redemption...
    Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Vindication
    Yes, that's it.
    Last edited by j9ac9k; 12-06-2020 at 10:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by j9ac9k View Post
    He was right - he knew it all along. It dangles on a string like some kind of slow-spinning redemption...

Yes, that's it.
    Won't vindication only be if when the Snyder Cut comes out, it's objectively assessed to be a truly great movie? I mean, the extended cut of BvS is considered an improvement over the the original, but the whole project is still considered a bad movie.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

Won't vindication only be if when the Snyder Cut comes out, it's objectively assessed to be a truly great movie? I mean, the extended cut of BvS is considered an improvement over the the original, but the whole project is still considered a bad movie.
    I mean we're talking about Snyder's aspirations, not necessarily his results. To say that we believe he sees this as vindication doesn't require us to wait for the movie to come out and actually be good

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I mean we're talking about Snyder's aspirations, not necessarily his results. To say that we believe he sees this as vindication doesn't require us to wait for the movie to come out and actually be good
    Snyder might see this as vindication, but unless this version is better than the original, he really isn't.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

There are plenty of films panned that later are seen as brilliant or become popular...

I know Its a Wonderful Life was panned by critics and was a box office flop.... is now seen as one of the greatest xmas movies of all time

Blade runner was panned.... partly studio meddling, that voice over... now seen as sci fi staple and noir classic

Groundhog day was originally not well recieved if I remember correctly...

Even teenage mutant ninja turtle's of the 1990s was panned, its now seen as the best of originals and better then remakes. Even working towards bringing back this original creative team.

Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory. Didnt fair well. Now today a classic

Dazed and confused

Big lebowski

Donnie darko

Fight club

And the reverse happens too.

The english patient received huge praise. No one talks about it today...

There are issues with bvs... but marvel released 33 films..
    Most were generic garbage. The only real stand outs were a couple captian america movies, guardians of galaxy 1, infinity war..

The rest all had loads of issues.. endgame was no where near as good as infinity war and had loads of problems

For whatever reason the media backed pretty much all those braindead generic marvel movies...

Yah bvs isnt high art but its really epic..
    I I truely believe in time newer generations will connect with it and like those movies above, will rise up and be seen as a great batman and superman installment...

Ceiling Belkar stabs you GozertheGozarian's Avatar

There are plenty of films panned that later are seen as brilliant or become popular...

I know Its a Wonderful Life was panned by critics and was a box office flop.... is now seen as one of the greatest xmas movies of all time

Blade runner was panned.... partly studio meddling, that voice over... now seen as sci fi staple and noir classic

Even teenage mutant ninja turtle's of the 1990s was panned, its now seen as the best of originals and better then remakes. Even working towards bringing back this original creative team.

Dazed and confused

Big lebowski

Donnie darko

Fight club

Most were generic garbage. The only real stand outs were a couple captian america movies, guardians of galaxy 1, infinity war..

The rest all had loads of issues.. endgame was no where near as good as infinity war and had loads of problems

For whatever reason the media backed pretty much all those braindead generic marvel movies...

I I truely believe in time newer generations will connect with it and like those movies above, will rise up and be seen as a great batman and superman installment...
    None of those changed directors mid-movie and caused people to demand a recut.
    "I rhyme with tyre - And cause pollution - I think you'll find - It's the best solution: What Am I?"

"And that's the essential problem with 'Planetary' right there. When Elijah Snow says, 'The world is a strange place'... he gets Dracula, Doc Savage and Godzilla... When we say it, we get The Captain Fire-Cock Rock 'n' Roll Spectacular."
    ~ Pól Rua

BANNED

Dazed and confused

Big lebowski

Donnie darko

Fight club

Good Insight. Thanks for reminding me that It's a wonderful life is a Christmas watch too.

I have been saying this for months now, it has almost become a loud talking drum. Some folks are still saying BvS is a bad movie when there is no reasonable objective evidence to that. We need to remember BvS was panned for the lamest of all reasons. Apparently the movie was not ''Marvel'' enough, which is a ridiculous point to pan a movie.

But you are correct that many proclaimed panned film went on to become classics. I see BvS following this path, since everyone is now noticing that BvS was panned for reasons that are not credible enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    Good Insight. Thanks for reminding me that It's a wonderful life is a Christmas watch too.

I have been saying this for months now, it has almost become a loud talking drum. Some folks are still saying BvS is a bad movie when there is no reasonable objective evidence to that. We need to remember BvS was panned for the lamest of all reasons. Apparently the movie was not ''Marvel'' enough, which is a ridiculous point to pan a movie.

But you are correct that many proclaimed panned film went on to become classics. I see BvS following this path, since everyone is now noticing that BvS was panned for reasons that are not credible enough.
    What’s the objective evidence that it’s good?