Page 139 of 211 FirstFirst ... 3989129135136137138139140141142143149189 ... LastLast
Results 2,071 to 2,085 of 3155
    Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian B View Post
    Don’t forget that Superman — and Superman’s Pal Jimmy Olsen, too — are foundational characters in Jack Kirby’s Fourth World. Darkseid’s 1st appearance was in a Superman comic and Superman was present in Forever People #1 when Darkseid really showed himself. I’m not going to get too hyperbolic and claim Kal-El is as important as Orion or Mister Miracle in the New Gods mythos, but Superman was present at and part of the very start of it. The forces of Apokolips are very much part of Superman’s arch foes.
    Out of DC's other IPs, the Fourth World has the closest ties to Superman, definitely. But tying them too close together has been detrimental to both at times. The Fourth World saga seizes to be its own thing, and Superman's world isn't viewed as being strong enough without the Kirby additions (Bruce Timm's reasoning for bringing them into STAS). Also, while building the cinematic universe in which Thanos had already been established as coming and DC/WB were already getting criticisms for ripping off Marvel no matter what they did, having the League vs. Apokokolips be the thing that brings them together seems to be an easily avoidable source of comparisons. Hold off on Darkseid and co for a while, at least until the brand is strong enough that comparisons to Thanos won't be an automatic loss. The Legion of Doom is a more distinct trope that DC could have seized on and made their own before the MCU did it.

And lol at Jimmy Olsen being a foundational character and then getting his brains blown out in these movies. He should be there in some capacity, but I doubt the early issues with Jimmy, the Newsboys and opposing science factories had much appeal to Snyder.

For those who are critical of the trailer or Snyder’s Justice League, my question is simple: If not this — Snyder’s Justice League — then what? If not Snyder, then who?

You all aren’t getting Joaquin and Todd Phillips back. Patty Jenkins is okay, but whether AT&T are pleased with WW84 or not, we all know it pretty well stunk. James Gunn is going back to Marvel after the Suicide Squad sequel is over. Warner Bros. got away with the ridiculous spectacle of Aquaman once — completely overshadowing the awful camp of the whole thing. Unless Aquaman 2 comes free with HBO Max, it’s not going to be anywhere close to as successful again.

So, without Snyder, what artistic vision will DC Films have? Forget continuity, that will be completely out the window. I’m just talking cohesive art, not a product whisked off the assembly line for consumption with popcorn. Without Zack, what’s the plan, the plot, the idea? I’d love to hear what it is. Or is it just Hamada’s idea, which boils down to make AT&T shareholders more money?
    George Miller. Better filmmaker than Snyder and he’s clearly got an interest.

I'm not sure if those early issues have much appeal with many people. They are mostly interesting only in "oh, so this is where it started?" manner. And no, this is not about it being old, New Gods, Miracle and Forever People are much better and still easy to enjoy today.

I'm also not sure if it really makes sense to call Olsen "foundational". Yes, we first glimpsed at New Gods in his title, but he didn't really add anything to them and asides of Intergang, if I remember right, had no direct contact with any New Gods. They might have as well first appeared in Green Arrow title and nothing would have changed.

For those who are critical of the trailer or Snyder’s Justice League, my question is simple: If not this — Snyder’s Justice League — then what? If not Snyder, then who?

You all aren’t getting Joaquin and Todd Phillips back. Patty Jenkins is okay, but whether AT&T are pleased with WW84 or not, we all know it pretty well stunk. James Gunn is going back to Marvel after the Suicide Squad sequel is over. Warner Bros. got away with the ridiculous spectacle of Aquaman once — completely overshadowing the awful camp of the whole thing. Unless Aquaman 2 comes free with HBO Max, it’s not going to be anywhere close to as successful again.

So, without Snyder, what artistic vision will DC Films have? Forget continuity, that will be completely out the window. I’m just talking cohesive art, not a product whisked off the assembly line for consumption with popcorn. Without Zack, what’s the plan, the plot, the idea? I’d love to hear what it is. Or is it just Hamada’s idea, which boils down to make AT&T shareholders more money?
    Just about anybody? As long as they like superheroes and aren't Randians they should be good. Hell, get somebody relatively new. Or the people who handle the animated films, they've proven themselves capable

Or just stop making superhero movies for awhile. You don't have to keep doing something that isn't working just because you can't think of another idea.

Quote Originally Posted by numberthirty View Post
    As a "Generally Speaking..." sort of an assertion?

Wouldn't disagree at all.

That said?

I get the feeling that we all know good a well that this isn't just some "Garden Variety..." instance of a trailer and how folks react to it.

Past that?

We've got an entire internet full of other evidence that folks may indeed have turned up with poking fun at this trailer in mind.
    Don't you think people watching the trailer to mock and deride the film would have down voted it? The top comments on the video are positive and all the comments on Twitter that I've seen are positive. There is just no proof for the claims you are making that 60% of people watched it for negative reasons.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Don't you think people watching the trailer to mock and deride the film would have down voted it? The top comments on the video are positive and all the comments on Twitter that I've seen a positive. There is just no proof for the claims you are making.
    Not really. I don't remember that there is a down vote button and I certainly wouldn't use it on movie trailers.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    Not really. I don't remember that there is a down vote button and I certainly wouldn't use it on movie trailers.
    YOU wouldn't maybe, but the vast majority sure would. Jem and the Holograms, for instance, currently stands at 1.9k dislikes and 1.6 likes. It was a bigger chasm when before it came out though (like 10:1 for dislikes:likes).

Currently Justice League Snyder Cut stands at 441k likes and 13k dislikes. The funny thing is, those who come just out of boredom (i.e. no other trailers besides Godzilla vs Kong to watch) would be the worst hecklers if the movie didn't look at least interesting to them. AND they'd downvote.

Quote Originally Posted by Nate Grey View Post
    YOU wouldn't maybe, but the vast majority sure would. Jem and the Holograms, for instance, currently stands at 1.9k dislikes and 1.6 likes. It was a bigger chasm when before it came out though (like 10:1 for dislikes:likes).

Currently Justice League Snyder Cut stands at 441k likes and 13k dislikes. The funny thing is, those who come just out of boredom (i.e. no other trailers besides Godzilla vs Kong to watch) would be the worst hecklers if the movie didn't look at least interesting to them. AND they'd downvote.
    I mean the people who reflexively downvote things that are marketed towards women and the ones who would downvote the Snydercut trailer aren't exactly two groups with the biggest overlap.

Quote Originally Posted by Thezmage View Post
    I mean the people who reflexively downvote things that are marketed towards women and the ones who would downvote the Snydercut trailer aren't exactly two groups with the biggest overlap.
    Jem was a bad movie period, and if I had used Ghostbusters 2016 you might have a point. Also you understand what analogies are, I'm assuming. So if you can't knock down what I said in my second paragraph, concession accepted I guess.

Talking about trailers and how they effect movies, I can't be the only one that liked the Suicide Squad trailer more than I actually enjoyed the Suicide Squad movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Talking about trailers and how they effect movies, I can't be the only one that liked the Suicide Squad trailer more than I actually enjoyed the Suicide Squad movie.
    Or Highlander: Endgame, famously (well for me at least).

Ultimate Member SiegePerilous02's Avatar

I never like or downvote anything.

I think 60% of audiences being in this to make fun of it is too high. I think everything is sort of neutral right now. The extreme polarization of these films, love it or hate it, mostly exists online. A lot of people are viewing these trailers because they plan to watch it and are genuinely interested. But we can't tell if that's how everyone feels. some may watch it, say "meh, and move on with their lives.

There are a lot of views for Godzilla vs. Kong too, but I think the only reason that was even made was because it was already too far along in production before they got the underwhelming results of G: KOTM to pull the plug. Or there could be a legit turnaround in hype for that one because Godzilla is fighting another big name monster, one even bigger for American audiences than Godzilla's classic foes.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    Definitely not. That was a great trailer

I don't think that anyone here has said that good trailer equals good movie.

60% actually sounds about right though. When I say heckling, I mean, basically, people using Youtube's comments section (and Twitter and Instagram) to "practice" their standup routine. Its possible their need to do that is overrided by hype, yes...but I honestly can't think of the last time that has happened. Its usually an either or situation. "Hype or not this sucks let me say so in a funny way" vs "Wait, this actually looks good". AND downvoting. Its cool a lot of people don't downvote such things (I too prefer to either leave an upvote or simply X out and watch something else), but that's not the majority.

Quote Originally Posted by HsssH View Post
    I don't think that anyone here has said that good trailer equals good movie.
    ...again, you get used to it.