Page 57 of 211 FirstFirst ... 74753545556575859606167107157 ... LastLast

I dont even notice the difference really between Snyders Steppenwolf and Whedons. Maybe I need to see a side by side.

Quote Originally Posted by Midvillian1322 View Post
    I dont even notice the difference really between Snyders Steppenwolf and Whedons. Maybe I need to see a side by side.

One is guy in scary armor, the other is prickly porcupine man.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

One is guy in scary armor, the other is prickly porcupine man.
    Lol yea the differences are minor with neither being more appealing. Both look like generic space alien from a video game. Actually think I prefer Whedons, appears hes wearing clothes and fits in with Darkseid better. But like is said visualy neither look good to me. Maybe it will look better in motion

He now looks closer to the way he appeared in the deleted scene of Batman v Superman, when Lex was "communing" with him before he was captured.

Quote Originally Posted by RockyHorror View Post
    Studio executive: "This movie set a record for worst second week drop."
    Whenever I see this 'fact' brought up, it just strikes me as desperation. Considering so many people around here worship box office numbers and throw them about without context, its funny to see this is the only film that receives any further context to its box office success is BvS.

The funny thing is that this factoid isn't a negative statement either, it's actually neutral, but you've fetishized this knowledge to the point that you've imprinted it on the minds of at WB. I imagine WB has other things on their mind when they think about BvS, which includes these facts; its almost 873 mill box office, that it was the highest grossing film for WB for that year, that it was a sequel that made more than the original, its financial success despite its poor critical reception, etc.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Quote Originally Posted by AnakinFlair View Post
    It's because the studio always had higher expectations for those films, and they always ended up falling short in one way or another- at least in there minds. I enjoyed Man of Steel, but I don't think it did the kind of business that WB was expecting it to do. So they panicked and decided to throw Batman in the next one, and we got Batman v Superman- which, again, fell short of their projections.
    This is literally fan fiction.
    #InGunnITrust, #ZackSnyderistheBlueprint, #ReleasetheAyerCut

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pinsir View Post
    Whenever I see this 'fact' brought up, it just strikes me as desperation. Considering so many people around here worship box office numbers and throw them about without context, its funny to see this is the only film that receives any further context to its box office success is BvS.
    It gets more scrutiny because it's perceived as a failure, financially and critically. This isn't occurring to DCEU movies like Aquaman or Wonder Woman.

The funny thing is that this factoid isn't a negative statement either, it's actually neutral, but you've fetishized this knowledge to the point that you've imprinted it on the minds of at WB. I imagine WB has other things on their mind when they think about BvS, which includes these facts; its almost 873 mill box office, that it was the highest grossing film for WB for that year, that it was a sequel that made more than the original, its financial success despite its poor critical reception, etc.
    The context is that Avengers came out 4 years before B vs S, so being businessmen they'd raise their expectations financially and adoration. B vs S did make loads of money, true, but not as much money as it could have been in the atmosphere it was in.

https://www.businessinsider.com/batm...diction-2016-3

Early projections estimate the film’s global box office to be at $350 million (it will be released on 35,000 screens worldwide) by the time Easter weekend is over.

That would be more than “The Dark Knight Rises” or “Man of Steel” opened with, but below movies like “Age of Ultron” ($392.5 million), “Jurassic World” ($524.9 million), or all-time earner “Star Wars: The Force Awakens” ($529 million).

But looking outside of the all-important opening weekend, the movie also has to have staying power.
    All the above titles, except for one, grossed over $1 billion worldwide in their respective theatrical runs, and to play in the Disney sandbox, Warner Bros. has to hit that number with “Batman v Superman.”

On paper, it looks very possible, but the one thing that could hurt the movie is word of mouth, which could become poisoned if fans agree with critics who have been down on the film.
    Studio executives don't just take what results they get when a movie is released and forget about it. This wasn't Man of Steel.

One is Quake engine and the other is Unreal Engine.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Steppenwolf isn't an alien, but if all you want from him is "menacing" I guess that works.
    So Superman is an alien and Steppenwolf isn't? In relation to earth they both are

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Holt View Post
    Guess it's impossible to make Steppenwolf look cool.
    I'm no comic book purist, but you can't tell me it was hard to do this but in live action?

How hard was it to put Ciaran Hinds in a suit and get the man to act? He's a fantastic actor with great screen presence and anyone who's seen Game of Thrones knows he can definitely be a great villain. This is just a borderline faceless CGI construct. There's no way anyone can even relate to it on any level.

It's funny how Snyder gets so much praise as a visual director but these CGI-heavy kind of designs age really fast over practical work. In fact it's an already aged design. This is the kind of stuff you got in Michael Bay's Transformers movies.
    Last edited by Blind Wedjat; 08-10-2020 at 04:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    So Superman is an alien and Steppenwolf isn't? In relation to earth they both are
    Both Superman and Steppewolf are human-looking aliens. There's no reason why Kryptonians have to look like human beings but Steppenwolf looks like a demon if they're both aliens then.

Snyder continues to take his obsession with religious imagery way too far.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I'm no comic book purist, but you can't tell me it was hard to do this but in live action?

It's funny how Snyder gets so much praise as a visual director but these CGI-heavy kind of designs age really fast over practical work. In fact it's an already aged design. This is the kind of stuff you got in Michael Bay's Transformers movies.
    I think he can frame cool action shots but I'm not a fan of his designs for Steppenwolf or Doomsday. Generic would be an understatement. Also think outside of 300 his stylized CGI background are distracting. I'm curious to see if that ugly red background from the JL finale is in Snyders cut. It looks like something he would do.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    Both Superman and Steppewolf are human-looking aliens. There's no reason why Kryptonians have to look like human beings but Steppenwolf looks like a demon if they're both aliens then.
    Not all Apokalipsians look human and Marvel and DC's aliens run the gamut from human-looking to outright horrific.

Snyder continues to take his obsession with religious imagery way too far.
    I think the people who criticize him are more obsessed with religious imagery than he is at this point.

I think he can frame cool action shots but I'm not a fan of his designs for Steppenwolf or Doomsday. Generic would be an understatement. Also think outside of 300 his stylized CGI background are distracting. I'm curious to see if that ugly red background from the JL finale is in Snyders cut. It looks like something he would do.
    I honestly think 300 is the only film that somehow made all of Snyder's Snyder-isms actually work. And it remains one of the most influential pieces in the sword-and-sandal epic genre. All the slo-mo, colour filters and graphic nudity and violence is something I've seen other works try to emulate.

Honestly though I don't even think he's that good of an action director. Capturing great choreography or having good ideas in storyboards is one thing. Having the talent to shoot it masterfully is another. There's always a poor sense of geography in Snyder's action scenes. Take Superman vs Zod for instance. It's insanely well choreographed, but you can never tell where in Metropolis they are. Even the (borderline overpraised) warehouse fight scene has the same issue: you can't really always tell how Batman is moving around in that space.

The Knightmare fight scene attempts a single take and it looks pretty sloppy. You can easily tell each soldier (with automatic assault rifles!) is simply waiting to walk up to Batman and engage him in melee combat. There's even a moment when one of the soldiers points his gun at a woman and she falls to the ground as if she's been shot, but there's no sound effect, muzzle flash or any other visual effect to indicate she was actually shot.

(And I already know someone's gonna excuse this by saying it was a dream sequence so it doesn't have to be realistic)

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    Not all Apokalipsians look human and Marvel and DC's aliens run the gamut from human-looking to outright horrific.
    "Not all Apokalipsians" doesn't change the fact that Steppenwolf is supposed to look human (which is less important) and making him look human would simply be the better choice to avoid overuse of CGI that is already outdated (which is more important).

Quote Originally Posted by Agent Z View Post
    I think the people who criticize him are more obsessed with religious imagery than he is at this point.
    What??? It was Snyder's idea to re-contextualise Steppenwolf and the Parademons as a painting of Lucifer and his angels/demons in Luthor Sr's office, not mine.