Page 58 of 211 FirstFirst ... 84854555657585960616268108158 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post

One is guy in scary armor, the other is prickly porcupine man.
    Hmmm... I don't entirely like or hate either version. They're both servicable enough, though ultimately forgetable.

But I will say the Snyder version almost looks like it's trying too hard. It's like it's trying to be all spikey and overly bad @$$ looking to overcompensate or something.

Whedon's design looks better and is closer to the comic, imo. Snyder, as usual, overdid it.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Hmmm... I don't entirely like or hate either version. They're both servicable enough, though ultimately forgetable.

But I will say the Snyder version almost looks like it's trying too hard. It's like it's trying to be all spikey and overly bad @$$ looking to overcompensate or something.
    I agree. The whole “spiky, gnarly” thing looks like something straight out of the 90s.

That said, I don’t hate or love any of them to be honest. If the movie they featured it were good, it won’t be that much of a problem.

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

I still don't get why he had to be computer animated at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    How hard was it to put Ciaran Hinds in a suit and get the man to act? He's a fantastic actor with great screen presence and anyone who's seen Game of Thrones knows he can definitely be a great villain. This is just a borderline faceless CGI construct. There's no way anyone can even relate to it on any level.

It's funny how Snyder gets so much praise as a visual director but these CGI-heavy kind of designs age really fast over practical work. In fact it's an already aged design. This is the kind of stuff you got in Michael Bay's Transformers movies.
    Davy Jones from Pirates of the Caribbean would like to say hi.
    Doctor Strange: "You are the right person to replace Logan."
    X-23: "I know there are people who disapprove... Guys on the Internet mainly."
    (All-New Wolverine #4)

One of my big criticisms of JL was Steppenwolf looked like a character from a video game rather than a block buster movie quality character. He never had the verisimilitude of Thanos or even Colossus from Deadpool.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Extraordinary Member thwhtGuardian's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    There are certainly some characters that do well as cg like Davy Jones, Gollum, King Kong and the Apes in the latest POA films...but Steppenwolf just looks bad and unlike those other characters there's little in his design that screams this just has to be cg as he's just a guy in armor.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev9 View Post
    So Superman is an alien and Steppenwolf isn't? In relation to earth they both are
    Superman is from another planet. Steppenwolf is a living idea from a higher plane of existence intrinsically tied to human concepts and morality. They are not nearly the same thing, and Kirby didn’t accidentally design him to look like a man.

It’s typical for Snyder to completely misunderstand a character or concept and just fall back into what an edgelord 14 year old thinks is cool, but I’m surprised to see comic book readers fall in line with this kind of thinking.

Ebony Maw was a minor villain in Infinity War, yet was realized better in every way than Steppenwolf. Thanos was near perfect. They just screwed the pooch with him.

There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Coal Tiger View Post
    Superman is from another planet. Steppenwolf is a living idea from a higher plane of existence intrinsically tied to human concepts and morality. They are not nearly the same thing, and Kirby didn’t accidentally design him to look like a man.

It’s typical for Snyder to completely misunderstand a character or concept and just fall back into what an edgelord 14 year old thinks is cool, but I’m surprised to see comic book readers fall in line with this kind of thinking.
    Aren't all the New Gods the living embodiments of some idea or another? Here's what's funny...if DC weren't in such a rush, they would have had a movie that established exactly who (and what) the New Gods were before using one of them in subsequent films (the original plans for Suicide Squad, and Justice League). Hindsight is 20/20, but I think a Mister Miracle movie would have been perfect for this. It wouldn't have to have a ridiculous budget, just something cool to hold us over (and explain things a bit) before Justice League.
    Last edited by Nate Grey; 08-10-2020 at 10:46 AM.

Astonishing Member Blind Wedjat's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by WebLurker View Post
    I guess I did word what I was saying a bit poorly, but what I mean is the design of Steppenwolf is outdated. Big, dark, grey and overdesigned villains feel like they belong back in the late 00s and early 2010s.

Despite being made solely of CGI, Davy Jones work because he has a unique design that stands out. Same thing with Kong, Gollum, and Thanos.

But even at that I don't see why Steppenwolf has to be a CGI construct. There's no reason why Ciaran Hinds couldn't have been put in a costume.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Ebony Maw was a minor villain in Infinity War, yet was realized better in every way than Steppenwolf. Thanos was near perfect. They just screwed the pooch with him.

This is the reason comic films in 2020 don't win Oscars for best visual effects. If you think this and Thanos were perfect then you need to see more movies. Snyder, all would agree knows how to do VFX even if they argue about his story telling talents, His final act should look better than Thanos, who felt more suited to a computer video game if you were to compare it to Pirates of the Caribbean or Planet of Apes. Snyder's VFX talent rivals James Cameron.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post

this looks like the rough cut going through changes.

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Blind Wedjat View Post
    I guess I did word what I was saying a bit poorly, but what I mean is the design of Steppenwolf is outdated. Big, dark, grey and overdesigned villains feel like they belong back in the late 00s and early 2010s.

Despite being made solely of CGI, Davy Jones work because he has a unique design that stands out. Same thing with Kong, Gollum, and Thanos.

But even at that I don't see why Steppenwolf has to be a CGI construct. There's no reason why Ciaran Hinds couldn't have been put in a costume.
    He didn't have to be CGI.

I think a man in a suit could have done the job.

Quote Originally Posted by Castle View Post
    This is the reason comic films in 2020 don't win Oscars for best visual effects. If you think this and Thanos were perfect then you need to see more movies. Snyder, all would agree knows how to do VFX even if they argue about his story telling talents, His final act should look better than Thanos, who felt more suited to a computer video game if you were to compare it to Pirates of the Caribbean or Planet of Apes. Snyder's VFX talent rivals James Cameron.
    You think Steppenwolf was Avatar level CGI and better than Thanos?