Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Astonishing Member

Default Best Director’s Cuts?

What are your favorite director’s cuts? Here’s a few from the top of my head.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut.

Kingdom Heaven.

Apocalypse Now.
    "I love mankind...it's people I can't stand!!"

- Charles Schultz.

Honestly I don't go out of my way to watch Directors Cuts too often.

The biggest exception was the Ben Afflick Daredevil. And that was a pretty descent improvement.

Kingdom of Heaven is certainly one to watch with the director's cut, or don't bother. It's that different.

I can't get behind any of the Blade Runner cuts since he goes heavier and heavier into pushing "Deckard's a replicant too!" which seems to me to undercut everything.

I've heard Troy has a great director's cut, but I haven't seen it myself.

And the incredible, but looooooonnnnngggggg Lord of the Rings trilogy cuts.
    Dark does not mean deep.

Alien 3. Not really a proper director's cut, but it improves the movie.

Quote Originally Posted by Gray Lensman View Post
    I can't get behind any of the Blade Runner cuts since he goes heavier and heavier into pushing "Deckard's a replicant too!" which seems to me to undercut everything.
    They all have the unicorn scene. That's it. He doesn't go heavier and heavier. Besides, there's only two versions. The original "DC" which he only oversaw, and the Final Cut. They're essentially identical stories. The latter is just massively cleaned up.

Daredevil, easily.

Interestingly enough, if they put back in the deleted scenes from Elektra (they're separate in the special features of her DVD/Blu-Ray) it's slightly better.

Mighty Member

soooo.... is that supposed to be "Kingdom of Heaven"? I've honestly never heard of "Kingdom Heaven".

I felt like Spiderman 2.1 was a better film than the theatrical release... and I liked Spiderman 2 in the theater. the newer version did a better job of fleshing out the character relationships.

I've always enjoyed the director's cut of "Aliens".

I didn't like the director's cut of "Alien", though. I felt like it ruined the pacing of the film and ADDED massive plot holes to the film. sure, the original theatrical release had some plot holes too... but they weren't nearly as bad as the ones in the director's cut.

Astonishing Member kingaliencracker's Avatar

Dark City
    Blade Runner
    Aliens
    Terminator 2
    Donnie Darko

Honorary mentions: The assembly cut of Alien 3 and the Producer's Cut of Halloween: The Curse of Michael Myers.

Lord of the Rings have extended versions. I have actually watched those and not the theatrical cuts. They are great. Apocalypse Now is one such film where i have seen the longer cut. Loved it.

BANNED

Terminator 2
    Close Encounters Of The Third Kind
    Aliens
    X-Men The Rogue Cut

Quote Originally Posted by Amadeus Arkham View Post
    What are your favorite director’s cuts? Here’s a few from the top of my head.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut.
    Kingdom Heaven.
    Apocalypse Now.
    I agree with all three of those. Can we consider the Fellowship of the Ring extended and Return of the King extended as a director's cut? Because if so, I'd add those two as well.
    "We are Shakespeare. We are Michelangelo. We are Tchaikovsky. We are Turing. We are Mercury. We are Wilde. We are Lincoln, Lorca, Leonardo da Vinci. We are Alexander the Great. We are Fredrick the Great. We are Rustin. We are Addams. We are Marsha! Marsha Marsha Marsha! We so generous, we DeGeneres. We are Ziggy Stardust hooked to the silver screen. Controversially we are Malcolm X. We are Plato. We are Aristotle. We are RuPaul, god dammit! And yes, we are Woolf."

Ultimate Member

Aliens.......

Superman II, though not better because Donner used some cutting room floor stuff to make his version. But we could see that his version of I and II together would have been better.
    Blade Runner with out a doubt. The voiceover in the theatrical release is a big mistake.
    There came a time when the Old Gods died! The Brave died with the Cunning! The Noble perished locked in battle with unleashed Evil! It was the last day for them! An ancient era was passing in fiery holocaust!

Quote Originally Posted by Kirby101 View Post
    Superman II, though not better because Donner used some cutting room floor stuff to make his version. But we could see that his version of I and II together would have been better.
    Blade Runner with out a doubt. The voiceover in the theatrical release is a big mistake.
    My biggest issue with the Donner Cut of Superman II is that it requires the viewer to understand that the ending to Superman would be different if Donner could have gotten his wish with Superman II. It just makes the whole thing too convoluted for me to enjoy, not to mention of course the rehearsal scenes that were spliced into the movie.

Invincible Member

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    Honestly I don't go out of my way to watch Directors Cuts too often.

The biggest exception was the Ben Afflick Daredevil. And that was a pretty descent improvement.
    I agree, it's almost a different movie.

Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    I agree, it's almost a different movie.
    I've only seen Daredevil once many years ago but I can't recall if it was the theatrical version or director's cut.