Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Spectacular Member

Lightbulb Was Civil War 2 a necessary event?

Hi guys

In 2016 Marvel created the Civil War 2 event, with the catalyst being the discovery of an Inhuman who has the ability to see the future.

In your opinion, do you think that the event was necessary?

Personally, while there was something good that came out of it, like how Hydra Cap was manipulative during the event, I don't think it was necessary.

They could have created a story where we see how manipulative Hydra Cap can be before Secret Empire. The reason for the war doesn't make sense either, since Carol, Stark, and pretty much anyone who was involved have seen someone or was involved in an event where time knowledge or manipulation was involved so why would they fight over Odyssey?

What do you guys think?

No it wasn't necessary and it was terrible. Brian "I don't do my research" Bendis decided to make a story about precognition and justice in a world where precogs already exist.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    Hi guys

In 2016 Marvel created the Civil War 2 event, with the catalyst being the discovery of an Inhuman who has the ability to see the future.

Personally, while there was something good that came out of it, like how Hydra Cap was manipulative during the event, I don't think it was necessary.

They could have created a story where we see how manipulative Hydra Cap can be before Secret Empire. The reason for the war doesn't make sense either, since Carol, Stark, and pretty much anyone who was involved have seen someone or was involved in an event where time knowledge or manipulation was involved so why would they fight over Odyssey?

What do you guys think?
    It was a cheap cash grab to capitalize on Captain America: Civil War movie.

Marvel has a real tendency to do this; especially recently. When Thor: Ragnarok came out Totally Awesome Hulk went back to Sakaar, when Logan came out that's when Old Man Logan was saturating the books, and when Infinity War happened there was Infinity Wars in the books.

This was also a time where Bendis really sullied his reputation in my mind by doing these cheap hype books. He wrote so many titles only because films or television shows were coming out i.e. Alias, Defenders, Iron Man, and Civil War II
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-21-2020 at 12:21 AM.

Nothing is necessary. This world is pointless. As am I.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Niffleheim

A lot of stories are not necessary but they still get approved so i'm going to say yes CW 2 was necessary and the reasons about it being a cash grab makes no sense to me because as a business the whole point of Marvel Comic doing an event is to make money or fail trying to make money.
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-21-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

I barely remember this saga at this point.

Ultimate Member

Strictly speaking, no comic event is necessary. There are some odd exceptions like the original Crisis on Infinite Earths but these are few and far between.

IMHO, Civil War 2 was a storytelling failure on several levels. There was no need for any of the characters to act they way they did and as someone already pointed out, a number of characters can already see the future in the Marvel Universe.

I don’t know. Death of Hulk, death of Tony Stark, death of Rhody. Maybe those were necessary, but in one form or another they are all 3 back. The only thing I think was necessary was the origin of Ulysses, a new Cosmic Being, like Kobik, Phantom Mask, and Singularity. If these characters turn out to flush the 616 characters out of the ANAD, then CWII becomes an important event.

iMan 42s

Civil War 2 was made to capitalize on the then Captain America movie "Civil War" which basically had nothing to do with this event. Marvel does this to this day where they will launch a product generally reflective of the then movie coming out or out at the time of release. A notable example of this was Back in Black over in the Spider-man books during Spider-man 3. So Civil War is basically a movie tie-in that happened to fall when Marvel would be putting out it's summer event comic. Civil War 2 was then handed over to Brian Michael Bendis for reasons that elude me but part of it likely had something to do with him asking for it as well as him writing Iron man at the time.

While the book was meant to be a tie-in for the movie and used to build up to Secret Empire, the book's real contribution was Riri Williams. Essentially Civil War 2 was necessary in order to take Tony Stark off the board so Bendis could hype up his new character. Riri following Civil War 2 would take over the Iron man book and would unfortunately remain that way largely up to when Bendis left. It was a movie tie-in and aside from corporate interests in the Inhumans and build up to the thing Marvel actually cared about was a vehicle for Riri's takeover of the book. While she isn't in it that much it should be worth noting that the ending exists to set the stage for that book.

It ultimately wasn't necessary and aside from the brief dark age over in the Iron man books it's ultimately a harmless event. Partially setting the stage for Immortal Hulk but it's not required reading for it. I skipped out on a fair bit of Secret Empire because my then comic shop dumped my box for no reason so I largely sat that out. However I don't think Civil War 2 was even required reading for that either.
    -----------------------------------
    For anyone that needs to know why OMD is awful please search the internet for Linkara' s video's specifically his One more day review or his One more day Analysis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    Hi guys

What do you guys think?
    No, it was boring, stupid, and just God-awful series.