Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast
    Spectacular Member

Lightbulb Was Civil War 2 a necessary event?

Hi guys

In 2016 Marvel created the Civil War 2 event, with the catalyst being the discovery of an Inhuman who has the ability to see the future.

In your opinion, do you think that the event was necessary?

Personally, while there was something good that came out of it, like how Hydra Cap was manipulative during the event, I don't think it was necessary.

They could have created a story where we see how manipulative Hydra Cap can be before Secret Empire. The reason for the war doesn't make sense either, since Carol, Stark, and pretty much anyone who was involved have seen someone or was involved in an event where time knowledge or manipulation was involved so why would they fight over Odyssey?

What do you guys think?

No it wasn't necessary and it was terrible. Brian "I don't do my research" Bendis decided to make a story about precognition and justice in a world where precogs already exist.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr_E_88 View Post
    Hi guys

In 2016 Marvel created the Civil War 2 event, with the catalyst being the discovery of an Inhuman who has the ability to see the future.

In your opinion, do you think that the event was necessary?

Personally, while there was something good that came out of it, like how Hydra Cap was manipulative during the event, I don't think it was necessary.

They could have created a story where we see how manipulative Hydra Cap can be before Secret Empire. The reason for the war doesn't make sense either, since Carol, Stark, and pretty much anyone who was involved have seen someone or was involved in an event where time knowledge or manipulation was involved so why would they fight over Odyssey?

What do you guys think?
    It was a cheap cash grab to capitalize on Captain America: Civil War movie.

Marvel has a real tendency to do this; especially recently. When Thor: Ragnarok came out Totally Awesome Hulk went back to Sakaar, when Logan came out that's when Old Man Logan was saturating the books, and when Infinity War happened there was Infinity Wars in the books.

This was also a time where Bendis really sullied his reputation in my mind by doing these cheap hype books. He wrote so many titles only because films or television shows were coming out i.e. Alias, Defenders, Iron Man, and Civil War II
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-21-2020 at 12:21 AM.

Nothing is necessary. This world is pointless. As am I.
    I don't blind date I make the direct market vibrate

Niffleheim

A lot of stories are not necessary but they still get approved so i'm going to say yes CW 2 was necessary and the reasons about it being a cash grab makes no sense to me because as a business the whole point of Marvel Comic doing an event is to make money or fail trying to make money.
    Last edited by Tofali; 05-21-2020 at 03:21 AM.

Astonishing Member Charlie_1981's Avatar

I barely remember this saga at this point.

Ultimate Member

Strictly speaking, no comic event is necessary. There are some odd exceptions like the original Crisis on Infinite Earths but these are few and far between.

IMHO, Civil War 2 was a storytelling failure on several levels. There was no need for any of the characters to act they way they did and as someone already pointed out, a number of characters can already see the future in the Marvel Universe.

Extraordinary Member Mike_Murdock's Avatar

No event (or very few) are necessary. The more important fact is that it was a bad event, not that it was an unnecessary one. But I do think Spencer's spin of Hydra Cap manipulating events made it a much more interesting event and the art was really good, so those are pluses.
    Matt Murdock's cooler twin brother

I'd give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety's sake!
    Thomas More - A Man for All Seasons

Interested in reading Daredevil? Not sure what to read next? Why not check out the Daredevil Book Club for some ideas?

Niffleheim

Quote Originally Posted by Username taken View Post
    Strictly speaking, no comic event is necessary. There are some odd exceptions like the original Crisis on Infinite Earths but these are few and far between.

IMHO, Civil War 2 was a storytelling failure on several levels. There was no need for any of the characters to act they way they did and as someone already pointed out, a number of characters can already see the future in the Marvel Universe.
    which main character was acting out of character in CW 2?

Has there been an extensive explanation on how generally precogs' powers to see the future work? do they all see the same things? are they affected by their own immediate personal traumas or do they see beyond their own bubble problems?

IMHO, Civil War 2 was a storytelling failure on several levels. There was no need for any of the characters to act they way they did
    It was much like Civil War 1 in that respect. The story didn't really make sense from an in-universe point of view and most of the characters in it had to be written badly out of character to make the event work.

Not sure but they kinda set Captain Marvel up since most people started hating her from that event...

Ultimate Member

Not at all.

Bendis must have watched 'Person of Interest', completely misunderstood how 'The Machine' worked, and made a crossover about it.

Well, I want to say "no" because I really disliked it, but I guess it setup the divisions, consequences, and hubris of the Superhero community that led to the Hydra uprising in Secret Empire, so I guess in that respect it was "necessary."

Ultimate Member

Quote Originally Posted by Frontier View Post
    Well, I want to say "no" because I really disliked it, but I guess it setup the divisions, consequences, and hubris of the Superhero community that led to the Hydra uprising in Secret Empire, so I guess in that respect it was "necessary."
    Yeah, but all of that came about because of railroad plotting, more than anything else

Spectacular Member

Quote Originally Posted by Alan2099 View Post
    It was much like Civil War 1 in that respect. The story didn't really make sense from an in-universe point of view and most of the characters in it had to be written badly out of character to make the event work.
    I highly disagree. The first Civil War gave a reason why they were fighting, with Cap and his team fighting for their right to keep their identity secret in order to protect the ones they love. It's a story about fighting for your right and freedom of choice. And every character acted the way they should, Stark was arrogant and fought for the law regardless if the law was right or wrong, Steve was fighting for what he believes in.

So Civil War 1 is a far, far, superior story then Civil War 2 and I believe it's one of the best stories that Marvel ever wrote.