Page 1 of 16 1234511 ... LastLast

Default Sensation Comics Featuring Wonder Woman #1 Discussion Thread

Hm... meh.

First of all, of course you "can't see how it can be so much of a problem with simply thugs" in Gotham, Diana. You're superpowered, Batman is not. Speaking of which, if they are so weak, why "bring an army"? (especially considering that it seems you had to bring the Amazons all the way from Themyscira just to fix things in Gotham...)

Second... Wondy "batarangs" made specifically for this mission? Why?

Third... the one liners should be clever and have impact, but they are just... weird. "We are Amazons, we invented 'Gotham solutions'"; "When is a dead Amazon like a confused bat? When she's been riddled"... what?

And some villain's really don't sound how they should.

Oh, and the costume has golden metal, contrary to the cover.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 08-13-2014 at 06:44 AM.

Yea, agreed. This wasn't very good. Diana came off overly cocky and contradicted herself with the situation in Gotham. Gail has never really nailed Diana's voice in my opinion and this is the worst example.

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

I think the "Gotham Solutions" comment meant that the pre-Azzarello Amazons invented ways of dealing with trouble-makers long before Bruce & Co. were around.

I thought the Wonderangs were cute in a cooky Gail Simone kind of way.

Diana's voice seemed very true to her pre-Azzarello self. She certainly behaved like the Wonder Woman I read about for several decades.

The art was nothing short of fantastic(even with a few coloring mistakes).

My only gripe is the apparent lack of a Wonder Woman villain in this first story. Hopefully one of them shows up as the mastermind behind this mess in the next issue.
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.

While I appreciate she didn't used so much internal monologue as she used to, it sounded way off from her run on WW's book.

Yeah, anyway, how could anyone have time to monologue that much while in battle, huh?

Fantastic Member

A bunch of characters standing around making non-sensical one-liners.

They blew up the bat mobile and a couple of cops, so now it's all out war?

And I thought the cavalry was supposed to arrive in the nick of time, not as a cliff-hanger. How is that suspenseful?

The 'W' batarangs are silly. Talk about 'gimmickry.'

And I'm still scratching my head over Diana's entrance line. "Well. I'm here." ??

I hope things improve by the next arc.

And it wasn't fun either.

So it's really a good thing that the stories are short. We can be excited for every new team.

On a side note: I didn't see her lasso anywhere.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 08-13-2014 at 07:18 AM.

No big complaints. Certainly not perfect, but for a first issue of a digital first it wasn't half bad.

1. Wonder-rangs are a bit cheesy, but whatever, random, but not story destroying
    2. Why would Oracle call in WW and insist "she do it our way" ... If you want it done the way Bruce does it, call in Green Arrow or TBoP or one of the other myriad Bat-lite characters.
    3. WW's characterization was clearly post-Crisis ... But not as solid as previous Simone work IMO ... But aside from some weak monologue moments it's not too jarring
    4. WW being dismissive of the thugs, but still calling in the Amazons actually makes sense to me ... It's a numbers and containment game. Sure these thugs can't do much to harm Diana, but there are a lot of them and they are spread throughout Gotham. Gotta round them up and no matter how fast she is, the Amazons will make this easier.
    5. I'm a little worried that there is no real challenge to the Amazing Amazon. Not that I excepted Genocide to appear in issue 1 but honestly there's no credible threat here ... Is Simone going to make her break a sweat? I suppose Joker will end up throwing some chemical at her and giving us 3 panels of "excitement" in issue 2

Ok DC, you have my attention ... Let's see where this goes.

Extraordinary Member

WOOO-WOOOOOOOOO!

Oracle is back!

The Amazons are BACK!

WONDER WOMAN IS BACK!!!!!

WOOO-WOOOOOOOOO!

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Apparently, they shouldn't be.

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Poison View Post
    I think the "Gotham Solutions" comment meant that the pre-Azzarello Amazons invented ways of dealing with trouble-makers long before Bruce & Co. were around.

I thought the Wonderangs were cute in a cooky Gail Simone kind of way.

Diana's voice seemed very true to her pre-Azzarello self. She certainly behaved like the Wonder Woman I read about for several decades.

The art was nothing short of fantastic(even with a few coloring mistakes).

My only gripe is the apparent lack of a Wonder Woman villain in this first story. Hopefully one of them shows up as the mastermind behind this mess in the next issue.

If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Protector of Mortals Prof. Aegis's Avatar

Yeah, was it the best Wonder Woman story ever? No, but I wasn't expecting that. Was it a fun Wonder Woman story with action and a strong character? Yes! I enjoyed the story for what it was. Were there flaws, sure, but it didn't detract from the overall flow of the story for me. I'm looking forward to the 2nd part. Yes, I too am curious as to what the other Amazons will do, but maybe they'll just keep the peace while Diana brings in the rogues. We'll see.

Fun 1st issue and I'm looking forward to the future creators and stories.
    The Doors of Wisdom are never shut! - Benjamin Franklin

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    WOOO-WOOOOOOOOO!

Oracle is back!

The Amazons are BACK!

WONDER WOMAN IS BACK!!!!!

WOOO-WOOOOOOOOO!

I am not sure you are excited for this, I can't really tell...JK

the story is silly, more like a golden age comic than a modern comic.

Loved the W batarangs, I just don't know where she hide/puts them.

She brought the amazons because Oracle said it was War.

2. Why would Oracle call in WW and insist "she do it our way" ... If you want it done the way Bruce does it, call in Green Arrow or TBoP or one of the other myriad Bat-lite characters.
    WW is faster to arrive and she is WW. I would find any excuse to call her.
    Last edited by Blacksun; 08-13-2014 at 08:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksun View Post
    I am not sure you are excited for this, I can't really tell...JK

the story is silly, more like a golden age comic than a modern comic.

Loved the W batarangs, I just don't know where she hide/puts them.

She brought the amazons because Oracle said it was War.

WW is faster to arrive and she is WW. I would find any excuse to call her.
    I'd call her too, but I wouldn't then turn around and tell her to not BE WW

Extraordinary Member Dr. Poison's Avatar

A friend of mine brought up a good point about the Wonderangs. Why did Gail introduce them when Diana has already has her razor-sharp tiara that always comes back to her when thrown?
    Currently(or soon to be) Reading: Alan Scott: Green Lantern, Batman/Superman: World's Finest, Fire & Ice: Welcome to Smallville, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, Jay Garrick: The Flash, Justice Society of America, Power Girl, Superman, Shazam, Titans, Wesley Dodds: Sandman, Wonder Woman, & World's Finest: Teen Titans.