Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    Finally read it.

I do have to say I was disappointed. Diana only appeared in half the book and the once she did show up... I had forgotten how joyless Gail's Diana was.

Also the idea that Diana was perceived by Oracle as less kind hearted than the Flash and less noble than Superman didn't set well with me. Does Gail really see Diana as the assistant principle/mother superior of DC Junior High?

Likewise the idea that a brief exposure to Batman's villains would make Diana step over to the dark side was unpalatable. It felt more like Artemis or Aleka in Gotham.

All in all it was just not a character I either empathized with or enjoyed reading.
    It has to be remembered that Oracles perception is only Oracles perception and is not necessarily true.

Later in the story she tells Diana she has to think like Batman to win, but Diana makes the decision to think like Wonder Woman instead and is proved correct. The story wraps with Oracle admitting her mistake.

What this tells me is the Babs view if Diana is not necessarily the correct one. But I can certainly see how given the events of Sacrifice there would be a clear differentiation in her mind between Diana's approach and Clark's.

Many times folks read what a writer has a character thinking and think those are the authors words. Those are only the authors words from the perception of THAT character. What the author thinks may be different altogether.
    Last edited by brettc1; 09-01-2014 at 02:17 AM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

It may be, but Oracle used to be Batgirl. Especially if this happened in the old DCUniverse, she would have had years of knowing about (and working with) WW before and after Sacrifice. She did after all work with Diana in JLA, as Oracle.

But as I have already mentioned, much of my dislike of the story had to do with Diana's actual tone herself, not just Oracle's description of her. A tone which Simon gave the character in her own book. A rather joyless "disciplinarian".

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Javier Velasco View Post
    It may be, but Oracle used to be Batgirl. Especially if this happened in the old DCUniverse, she would have had years of knowing about (and working with) WW before and after Sacrifice. She did after all work with Diana in JLA, as Oracle.

But as I have already mentioned, much of my dislike of the story had to do with Diana's actual tone herself, not just Oracle's description of her. A tone which Simon gave the character in her own book. A rather joyless "disciplinarian".
    I found her formal, not joyless.

She cretanily had a big ol smile on her face when she asked Powergirl to tie her up, but personally I found Ruckas Diana to be the joyless one.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor