Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast
    BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by kidstandout View Post
    there's a difference between natural fun and stupid fun, this was the latter
    Ditto. I don't like Azzarello's version and I hated this too.

I don't know where is the fun (even the villains were boring), and I don't know where is the great characterization. There isn't even a characterization. "I'm here"... uh, okay, no one asked. Even Diana diminishing Batman is more like just a statement to make her look badass than anything else (and if it's characterization, it's meh).

This issue didn't present Diana as Gail said she would be at all. Maybe next issue, but for this one...

We didn't like the story because we like the New 52? Ok, so I could say the people who liked only did so because it's pre-Flashpoint. And it was not a good pre-Flashpoint story at that. Maybe even worse than anything Gail wrote in her run.

And there isn't even proeminent pre-Flashpoint stuff about WW. Classic costume, Io, Amazons army that didn't do anything (and didn't used to go help Diana in US). The most important pre-Flashpoint stuff must be Oracle and Joker with a face.
    Last edited by Vonter Voman; 08-13-2014 at 05:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    It's short, and I could be ironic about the decompression considering my comment. But I think it takes off right from Gail's #45 in terms of presentation and mood, and that leaves me well pleased.

It's a solid start, and I am drooling for more.
    Meh, I'm more excited about the variety this series promises. Simone is fine, although I think this is one of her weaker WW efforts. Would have rather seen issue 1 focused on Diana's own mythology rather than Bat-rogues and even though I LOVE Oracle, this story feels a little like Simone making a statement about her own career than making an effort at producing an amazing story for WW

It's not decompressed, though. It's like half an issue. When they put the stories in the printed version, there are more panels per page. The two digital chapters are going to make one printed issue.

Deadly Bee Weapon coveredinbees's Avatar

lol I liked it.

Given the fact that these are all out of continuity and only two issues in length, I am guessing most of them will not be too deep.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by brettc1 View Post
    I can see how folks who enjoy the New52 version might not appreciate this one. Though I would expect more explanation.

But for those not enamoured of sex-killer-Amazons-Zeus-daddy-trained-by-war-cuz-her-own-people-aren't-good-enough-cut-open-teammates-in-a-tantrum versions, it's like Oxygen at 30 000 feet.
    i like new 52, and I liked this issue. I think Simone had some problems adjusting with a Digital comic, I think it is her first time

WW is mocking Batman, doing a better job than him and people still call this Bat wank, Please!

Not the best way to start the new series, but I'm glad that DC is at least giving it a try. I wasn't expecting much from Simone so I wasn't disappointed. Just a little annoyed by the creative choices, like they didn't think it'd be successful if it wasn't Batman-related and with Oracle kinda stealing the spotlight there. Dialogue was pretty bad, as usual with Simone. And I've never been a fan of Van Sciver, but at least they've given him the chance to play with Gotham's rogues now after he got stuck with the Mad Hatter back in his Dark Knight run.

Good news is this creative team will be out of the picture after one more installment, and there are plenty of new and exciting creators coming up!

BANNED

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...review&id=7645

I think the review was pretty fair.

and what a surprise, it's crap.
    A brand new Wonder Woman book and what do I get? Gotham...the Gotham way? Wonder Woman's symbol really a bat?

Yeah?

HELL NO!
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 08-13-2014 at 09:05 PM. Reason: profanity
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Spair View Post
    A brand new Wonder Woman book and what do I get? Gotham...the Gotham way? Wonder Woman's symbol really a bat?

Yeah?

HELL NO!
    hope gail doesn't get to touch my favorite fem dc characters. especially after simone's batgirl run,
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 08-13-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: profanity

hope gail doesn't get to touch my favorite fem dc characters. especially after simone's batgirl run,
    You and I...are unanimous in that.
    I've had rice crackers more entertaining then this read.
    Last edited by Javier Velasco; 08-13-2014 at 09:04 PM. Reason: referenced edited post
    "I'm going to score this T-shirt and I am going to wear it because I want to"

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sacred Knight View Post
    You know that's an unfair generalization though. The criticisms I've seen thus far have nothing to do with a non-New 52 flavor.

In regards to when I said Bat-wank, I was being a bit tongue-in-cheek. Having no plans to read the issue I didn't mean to imply I thought they dominated, as that would be entirely based on hearsay. All I meant was that I was surprised from the get-go to see Simone's first shot at writing WW in a long time to be featured in Gotham with Bat villains, that's all.
    The odd thing is, I cannot for the life of me recognize any of these problems.

Objectively comparing this to Azzarello #1, I would say that are on par. It was only in subsequent stories that Brian lost me, largely due not to his particular style but due to my personal feeling about the plot and the way other characters were being written. His Wonder Woman in terms of Diana herself is, as I have often said, very good.

But to reiterate, I think folks would have to try very hard indeed to convince me this issue is markedly lower in quality than the New52 first issue. The only standout difference I can see is the art, because I must admit Cliff Chiang may be an acquired taste but one that also tends to become addictive.

Perhaps with regards to the Gotham theme Gail was giving a tip fo the hat to Jimenez [who started his run the same way]. I think its equally likely though she just loved the idea of writing Oracle again - and really who can blame her?
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

Quote Originally Posted by Spair View Post
    You and I...are unanimous in that.
    I've had rice crackers more entertaining then this read.
    Please send me all your rice crackers.

Or don't, as it seems likely I would eat them until I died, they must be so good
    Last edited by brettc1; 08-13-2014 at 10:31 PM.
    If ten years of recording The Young and the Restless for my mother have taught me anything, it's that characters in serial dramas are always happily in love...until they're not

“The very powerful and the very stupid have one thing in common. Instead of altering their views to fit the facts, they alter the facts to fit their views...which can be very uncomfortable if you happen to be one of the facts that needs altering.” - the 4th Doctor

Extraordinary Member

there's a difference between natural fun and stupid fun, this was the latter
    Gotham Villains out of control, Oracle calls in the big guns and the one most suited is Wonder Woman.

I found the dialogue between her and Two-Face pretty interesting. Diana has very few truly psychotic villains - Psycho obviously, but the rest are all [by villain standards] pretty sane. So seeing her pitted against this maniac who thinks the scales balance out becuase he is good half the time is intriguing to say the least.

Of course none of Bat's villains can match her physically, but then they cant do that with Batman either [except for some like Bane and Croc]. The danger is in thier guile, and I personally like the way Diana tends to underestimate her opponents this first issue. After all, they are only human while her powers are vastly beyond. I doubt she will leave with the same impression with which she arrived, however. After all, Luthor too is only human and can be a very real threat.