Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 37
  1. #1
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,135

    Default Did Peter Parker have savings in case he died for Aunt May?

    Like we know the idea of pete as a 15-16 year old with new found powers, using them to save lives and get money by selling pictures of himself with which he could afford mortgage payments, spider-man costume, gadgets, web fluid and taking care of aunt may, and going to school/college.

    But Pre-parker industries, did he ever have any money saved up? Like obviously not something he'd use for gifts or expensive dates, but in case of a rainy day, or in case he died or to buy a house?

    I don't think he can get life insurance, because if he died and his identity comes out, his loved ones would not get the money cuz he hid an important part of his life that'd be uninsurable.

    Also, how much debt does he have? He did get a scholarship to ESU from what I remember in the classic comics
    Last edited by Ichijinijisanji; 05-22-2020 at 05:55 AM.

  2. #2
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    I dont think he had much of a savings. He was always broke. Not being able to buy Gwen a birthday gift, having to give up his motorcycle, problems paying rent. He was never financially secure.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  3. #3
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,240

    Default

    He had to spend money on webshooters, which would help decrease the chances he would need to arrange for May to be taken care of after he dies.
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  4. #4
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    I dont think he had much of a savings. He was always broke. Not being able to buy Gwen a birthday gift, having to give up his motorcycle, problems paying rent. He was never financially secure.
    Hmm, he had to take a loan for the motorcyle, but was able to pay it off with presumably some interest in 25 issues to sell it again, and then exclaimed he could buy another later on, even though he could've just saved up money by setting some aside without the interest in fewer.... is he bad with money ?

  5. #5
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,798

    Default

    According to the early parts of The Other: Evolve or Die, when Peter is seemingly dying of a degenerative illness none of the top geniuses of the Marvel Universe can figure out, he doesn't even have life insurance.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  6. #6
    Mighty Member babyblob's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2018
    Location
    New Richmond Ohio
    Posts
    1,833

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    Hmm, he had to take a loan for the motorcyle, but was able to pay it off with presumably some interest in 25 issues to sell it again, and then exclaimed he could buy another later on, even though he could've just saved up money by setting some aside without the interest in fewer.... is he bad with money ?
    He did pay it off. But his money problems forced him to sell it. Its not that he is bad with money, its just that he was always broke or near broke.
    Favorite teams. Alpha Flight, Avengers, Fantastic Four, West Coast Avengers, Justice Society of America, Legion of Superheroes.

  7. #7
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    According to the early parts of The Other: Evolve or Die, when Peter is seemingly dying of a degenerative illness none of the top geniuses of the Marvel Universe can figure out, he doesn't even have life insurance.
    I know logistiaclly he can't have life insurance because of his secret identity and the chance of it all becoming void if his identity got revealed because he hid important parts of his identity

    Quote Originally Posted by babyblob View Post
    He did pay it off. But his money problems forced him to sell it. Its not that he is bad with money, its just that he was always broke or near broke.
    Yeah that's my thing... paying it off in 20ish issues with interest? He could've saved money on the interest by not making that purchase at that time to begin since it was kind of a "oh what the hell, I'll buy it!"

  8. #8
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I know logistiaclly he can't have life insurance because of his secret identity and the chance of it all becoming void if his identity got revealed because he hid important parts of his identity



    Yeah that's my thing... paying it off in 20ish issues with interest? He could've saved money on the interest by not making that purchase at that time to begin since it was kind of a "oh what the hell, I'll buy it!"
    That's a good point, actually. Come to think of it, there should be some way for superheroes to get insurance without giving away their identities to the general public. If that existed . . .
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  9. #9
    Ultimate Member Mister Mets's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    12,240

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    According to the early parts of The Other: Evolve or Die, when Peter is seemingly dying of a degenerative illness none of the top geniuses of the Marvel Universe can figure out, he doesn't even have life insurance.
    This argument popped up years ago.

    https://community.cbr.com/showthread...life+insurance

    Honestly, it would probably be immoral for him to have life insurance, since he would be subsidized by people who don't fight murderers as part of their calling.

    Quote Originally Posted by Huntsman Spider View Post
    That's a good point, actually. Come to think of it, there should be some way for superheroes to get insurance without giving away their identities to the general public. If that existed . . .
    It makes some sense logically, but what's the point of it from a narrative perspective?
    Sincerely,
    Thomas Mets

  10. #10
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ichijinijisanji View Post
    I know logistiaclly he can't have life insurance because of his secret identity and the chance of it all becoming void if his identity got revealed because he hid important parts of his identity



    Yeah that's my thing... paying it off in 20ish issues with interest? He could've saved money on the interest by not making that purchase at that time to begin since it was kind of a "oh what the hell, I'll buy it!"
    The fact is that at least 40% of Americans don't have life insurance and a significant chunk of the population, largely low-income continue to be uninsured.

    So even outside the superhero element, it's not unbelievable or difficult to concieve that Peter wouldn't be able to leave much.

  11. #11
    Formerly Assassin Spider Huntsman Spider's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    New Jersey, U.S.A.
    Posts
    8,798

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The fact is that at least 40% of Americans don't have life insurance and a significant chunk of the population, largely low-income continue to be uninsured.

    So even outside the superhero element, it's not unbelievable or difficult to concieve that Peter wouldn't be able to leave much.
    A good point as well. It does hew toward the more realistic end of things, which has almost always been Spider-Man's bread and butter as a narrative --- balancing superhuman concerns with everyday human worries and anxieties.
    The spider is always on the hunt.

  12. #12
    Spectacular Member
    Join Date
    May 2020
    Posts
    105

    Default

    Peter says in The Other that he doesn't have life insurance.

    Personally I don't know how I feel about it. I think Linkara has a point that it is irresponsible for him not to have it, but there is also no realistic way for him to get it. Like someone else said, it would become void if he died and his identity became public.

  13. #13
    Mighty Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    1,135

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Revolutionary_Jack View Post
    The fact is that at least 40% of Americans don't have life insurance and a significant chunk of the population, largely low-income continue to be uninsured.

    So even outside the superhero element, it's not unbelievable or difficult to concieve that Peter wouldn't be able to leave much.
    what's the most amount of savings he's had? Or the biggest purchase he's been able to make?

    Like minus the half a million he got in marvel knights which he gave to charity, or the 50K he got in JMS run for working for falconi that he donated to a gwen stacy library?

  14. #14
    Fantastic Member Grapeweasel's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    253

    Default

    Well, I know for the first 50 years or so every penny he made was spent on Aunt May's medicine.......

  15. #15
    Astonishing Member Revolutionary_Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2018
    Posts
    4,515

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitou D. Kid View Post
    Peter says in The Other that he doesn't have life insurance.

    Personally I don't know how I feel about it. I think Linkara has a point that it is irresponsible for him not to have it, but there is also no realistic way for him to get it. Like someone else said, it would become void if he died and his identity became public.
    Linkara is an ex-Republican and was a moderate small-r republican when he said that. So he bought into the idea of “welfare queens” and so on when he made that point. Forgetting how difficult it is for a huge chunk of the American population to get insurance.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •