Incredible Member

Default Batman/Catwoman not starting until CHRISTMAS?

I saw this article today: https://bleedingcool.com/comics/batm...ing-clay-mann/

It says current expectations for Bat/Cat to launch is now Christmas of this year. Wow, that is absolutely insane. Would this be the longest amount of time between something being announced and actually being published, because that would literally be a year and a half since they announced this. And this is just "current expectations," so it may not even happen then?

That is REALLY messed up in my opinion. And whatever the explanation for this is, it cannot possibly have anything to do with the art not being done in time. There's gotta be something else going on behind the scenes with this. It worries me.

Mighty Member

That would not even be a record for a Batman title.

As to the whys and wherefores. I'd imagine it's a combination of (a) Clay Mann is not a fast artist (b) 5G is being reformatted and they need time to properly re-direct the story and (c) because of the pandemic, the entire schedule is being shifted and December makes more sense than September or October.

I think there's also an outside shot on it not being 12 actual issues at this point, too - we'd get 12 issues of content, but in six prestige format 48 page books or something like that.
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

Incredible Member

Quote Originally Posted by bob.schoonover View Post
    That would not even be a record for a Batman title.

As to the whys and wherefores. I'd imagine it's a combination of (a) Clay Mann is not a fast artist (b) 5G is being reformatted and they need time to properly re-direct the story and (c) because of the pandemic, the entire schedule is being shifted and December makes more sense than September or October.

I think there's also an outside shot on it not being 12 actual issues at this point, too - we'd get 12 issues of content, but in six prestige format 48 page books or something like that.
    That part is what worries me most. That they won't let him tell the story he wants to tell because they've decided things have to be different now or something. They had been insisting all this time it WAS going to be canon, so...

Quote Originally Posted by lilyrose View Post
    That part is what worries me most. That they won't let him tell the story he wants to tell because they've decided things have to be different now or something. They had been insisting all this time it WAS going to be canon, so...
    I don't think 5G had any impact on Batman Catwoman just like King's Batman run getting cut short didn't affect his story. In an interview he said that his story wasn't affected by the abrupt end.

He intended to use the last 15 issues to do a villain of the week type stories since never got the chance to do that.

The upcoming title is out of continuity so whatever is going on with 5G doesn't impact it.
    It's tedious to have to wait but on the positive side this gives King additional time to really take his time perfecting it.

Batman/Catwoman was announced early as a form of damage control to pulling King off Batman like they did. Throw in 5g, Didio firing, and Covid. So, ehh. DC in general seems to be in a state of disorganization and impromptu scrambling.
    Last edited by Godlike13; 05-26-2020 at 05:25 PM.

see beauty in all things. charliehustle415's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Godlike13 View Post
    Batman/Catwoman was announced early as a form of damage control to pulling King off Batman like they did. Throw in 5g, Didio firing, and Covid. So, ehh. DC in general seems to be in a state of disorganization and impromptu scrambling.
    I totally agree; King got thrown off Batman which now in hindsight was a big mistake because he could have finished his run by now instead of Tynion starting and stopping his arc because of the virus.

But this isn't even the longest wait for a title:

I see Batman/Catwoman and I raise you 3 Jokers.

Mighty Member

Quote Originally Posted by charliehustle415 View Post
    I totally agree; King got thrown off Batman which now in hindsight was a big mistake because he could have finished his run by now instead of Tynion starting and stopping his arc because of the virus.

But this isn't even the longest wait for a title:

I see Batman/Catwoman and I raise you 3 Jokers.
    I see your Three Jokers and raise you Bellicosity
    Blue text denotes sarcasm

I see your Bellicosity, and raise you the Zsasz story “Draining”, originally intended for Gotham Knights #12 in 2000, which finally saw print in 2020’s BATMAN ARKHAM: VICTOR ZSASZ trade paperback!

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...67#post4565667
    Last edited by kevink31593; 05-26-2020 at 09:37 PM.
    Post CBR reboot join date: May 2014, Pre CBR reboot join date: April 2005
    Official DC message boards join date (as Batman Fan 31593): April 2000

Astonishing Member batnbreakfast's Avatar

Thanks for reminding me to get BATMAN ARKHAM: VICTOR ZSASZ

Is another Kevin Smith Batman title eagerly awaited? I like the guy but just google Jay and Silent Bob Reboot Trailer then come back here and let me know if you want his take on Batman (again) or him continuing Daredevil/ Bullseye

Quote Originally Posted by kevink31593 View Post
    I see your Bellicosity, and raise you the Zsasz story “Draining”, originally intended for Gotham Knights #12 in 2000, which finally saw print in 2020’s BATMAN ARKHAM: VICTOR ZSASZ trade paperback!

https://community.cbr.com/showthread...67#post4565667
    You got me, I fold damn it!

Extraordinary Member

Knowing Tom King it will be at best be 6 issues of content, stretched out to 12 issues

Quote Originally Posted by Aahz View Post
    Knowing Tom King it will be at best be 6 issues of content, stretched out to 12 issues
    But we get 12 issues of Mann art!

Don't look a gift horse in the mouth!
    Last edited by charliehustle415; 05-26-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Incredible Member

Well, I stand corrected about record delays.

Still, I feel like we've heard an awful lot about this in multiple interviews from King for so long now...for it to continually be delayed this long sucks.