Boisterously Confused

Default So, how do we feel about Krasinski selling SGN?

I have loved SGN. Not just it's content, but its whole spirit. News is that it's been sold to One Of Those Other Media Guys.

I'm conflicted about this. On one hand, You Go John. On another, This Was The People's Forum.

Thoughts?

Incredible Member Wandering_Wand's Avatar

I don't know the whole history of it, other than very small tidbits.

The question I'd have is: was it something he/his family started (was it essentially their idea/property?)? If so, they reserve whatever right to do what they want with it and use the money they receive from it however they want. They earned it.

OTOH, I think there's definitely some irony in it all and can see how/why some people may feel betrayed or confused.

Boisterously Confused

Quote Originally Posted by Wandering_Wand View Post
    I don't know the whole history of it, other than very small tidbits.

The question I'd have is: was it something he/his family started (was it essentially their idea/property?)? If so, they reserve whatever right to do what they want with it and use the money they receive from it however they want. They earned it.

OTOH, I think there's definitely some irony in it all and can see how/why some people may feel betrayed or confused.
    We're pretty much in the same place. BTW: love your avatar.

Retired

I don't begrudge Krasinski the right to make money off what he created and I can understand why he might have been overwhelmed by the success of S.G.N. so he'd want someone else to take care of it while he goes on to other creative projects.

However, I have two observations.

One is that he made it pretty clear in the final episode and throughout the series that this was something that belonged to everyone. The final episode was like Kurt Vonnegut setting free his characters at the end of BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS. John gave his blessing to everyone to do their own Some Good News and it seemed like this was a free platform for anyone who wants to do it. I wonder what happens to all those people around the world doing their own thing if Viacom is involved--aren't they a bit overly protective of intellectual property?

The other is that John was able to do what other celebrities haven't been able to do in our time of the plague. He made it seem genuine--just one guy doing his own youtube channel out of deference to all the real heroes. He did an incredibly difficult thing that amateurs and professionals alike couldn't pull off and he made it seem easy. I just don't think anyone else--especially from a big corporation--could pull that off.

Astonishing Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Kelly View Post
    I don't begrudge Krasinski the right to make money off what he created and I can understand why he might have been overwhelmed by the success of S.G.N. so he'd want someone else to take care of it while he goes on to other creative projects.

However, I have two observations.

One is that he made it pretty clear in the final episode and throughout the series that this was something that belonged to everyone. The final episode was like Kurt Vonnegut setting free his characters at the end of BREAKFAST OF CHAMPIONS. John gave his blessing to everyone to do their own Some Good News and it seemed like this was a free platform for anyone who wants to do it. I wonder what happens to all those people around the world doing their own thing if Viacom is involved--aren't they a bit overly protective of intellectual property?
    That's a good question.

The other is that John was able to do what other celebrities haven't been able to do in our time of the plague. He made it seem genuine--just one guy doing his own youtube channel out of deference to all the real heroes. He did an incredibly difficult thing that amateurs and professionals alike couldn't pull off and he made it seem easy. I just don't think anyone else--especially from a big corporation--could pull that off.
    There's probably someone somewhere in Hollywood who can replicate his work. Kransinki himself is proof this is possible, as he's been a cog in various large corporations for the big and small screen. I don't think he's as hard to immitate the success with the show, unlike the concept of Ernest P Worrell - who began as a character in ads to sell property until he outshined Mickey Mouse at Nascar.

Yeah. Not a fan of this and probably won't tune in. Krasinski is a celebrity, but the show felt very authentic with a logo dawn by his daughters and pretty much the entire show being build around submissions and real people. Not that I don't think that will continue on the Viacom version, but there are differences in things being curated by a person (who generally seems pretty likable) and a PR team who is wired to think of the clicks. I can't think of a single time that a corporation has made a show based off of an authentic viral thing and maintained the same magic.

Edit: Also part of the fun of the show was that other people would do their own version of the show and he'd showcase them. Now those people will be getting cease and desist letters.
    Last edited by C_Miller; 05-22-2020 at 09:12 PM.