Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mighty Member

Default How old is Wonder Woman?

Sorry,
    I dont understand it:

I mean I thought that with NEW52 and Zeus as her father she is around 30 years old (REAL AGE) and ages slower.

With new Timeline change I thought that its like the movie that she was, maybe 20 years old as she left Themyscira and is now maybe 95 years old or so, since she was already active before the other ones.

We Do Not Know.

Apparently, she will have been active in WW II, which - assuming she was around 25 when she started - would make her around 100 today.

But she could have come to Man's World in 1906, and do interesting things, but just not go public as Wonder Woman until WW II.

Or she could have been born/come to life on Themyscira 1000 years before she came to Man's World and started her career as Wonder Woman. Or more than 1000. Or less.

And time on Themyscira may flow differently than time in Man's World.

So practically any age at all can be justified, and/or explained away.
    Doctor Bifrost

"If Roy G. Bivolo had seen some B&W pencil sketches, his whole life would have turned out differently." http://doctorbifrost.blogspot.com/

What Bifrost said.

In a way, I think this is a part of a much greater issue with Wonder Woman, in that her origin and backstory is so open-ended. To know Diana's age, that implies a lot of different things about Themyscira, and for whatever reason Wonder Woman creators are generally loath to explore Themysciran society. The only people who have done so lately in any depth (Azzarello and Morrison) did so only to tear it down.
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Extraordinary Member Restingvoice's Avatar

In New 52 Present Day no matter how many years pass Diana was 23 years old
    New 52 Past was set 5 years ago meaning she left Themyscira at age 18

In Rebirth Diana left Themyscira to Man's World at age 18
    Early Rebirth Present Day is 10 years after her arrival meaning she's 28
    I heard Later Rebirth Present Day is expanded to 15 years meaning she's 33

Assuming in the new timeline she also left Themyscira at age 18 at the beginning of Generation 1 she would've been 78 at the end of Generation 4. While her beginning was set in World War II, the time-lapse in comics isn't the same as the real-world time. In DC's new timeline it only took 60 years from World War II to the present day.

That said, this time-lapse and real-time difference may have been canceled so readers won't get confused.

However old writer’s want to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Restingvoice View Post
    In New 52 Present Day no matter how many years pass Diana was 23 years old
    New 52 Past was set 5 years ago meaning she left Themyscira at age 18

In Rebirth Diana left Themyscira to Man's World at age 18
    Early Rebirth Present Day is 10 years after her arrival meaning she's 28
    I heard Later Rebirth Present Day is expanded to 15 years meaning she's 33
    Do you have any scans or issue references for those figures?
    «Speaking generally, it is because of the desire of the tragic poets for the marvellous that so varied and inconsistent an account of Medea has been given out» (Diodorus Siculus, The Library of History [4.56.1])

Quote Originally Posted by kjn View Post
    Do you have any scans or issue references for those figures?
    Old interviews that I no longer remember where. The Rebirth one was around the time of the series announcement until the first issue publication. I should be able to find it...

Got it!

http://www.comicosity.com/interview-...-wonder-woman/

GR: Nicola talks about optimism. I think one of the things that I’m really eager to explore with her further is not naivete, but certainly in “Year One” a genuine innocence. And how in “The Lies” that has tempered her as a woman.

We meet her at 18 in “Year One.” She’s 18, but she’s not 18. She’s lived through thousands of years of being 18. Then, we come to her later and this is a Diana who’s had the 10 most significant years of her life. And has been so profoundly affected by them. It’s changed who she is and molded her.

--

Okay so she's thousands of years of being 18. Not human 18, but it's in Themyscira, so she was stagnating... until she spent 10 years in Man's World, and it's so different, being a superhero included, that 10 years change her a lot more compared to Themyscira.

--

The New 52 one was...

Edit: Found it! It's in New 52 Wonder Woman #11. Apollo asked her when they're fighting.

2725575-ww_11_pg15.jpg

The New 52 Amazons breed by seducing sailors, so Diana has friends her age who haven't lived for thousands of years, and Diana was born of Zeus, so this one is actually 23.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-23-2020 at 01:44 PM.

On the old WW TV show, Diana claims to be something like 2325 years old.

Thanks Restingvoice!

The New 52 makes sense, given the 30-year-cycle that the Nastyzons lived on.

As for the Rebirth interview, aside from not being stated in text but only in ancillary materials[1], I think it opens up more questions than it answers. What is the nature of time on Themyscira? Did going to Man's World change Diana's concept of time and age? What is the relation between physical and mental maturity for her and the other Amazons?

[2] I'm a firm believer that interviews, author's notes, and similar materials of the creators are of much less value in reading a text than the published text itself.

Another point to consider is Jason left the island as a baby and age normally in Man's World. Remind me is he Diana's twin?

I reread the preview. I didn't buy the issues of Jason. His foster father, Glaucus was hinted to be immortal. That said, Glaucus received Jason using a modern boat, not an ancient rowboat, so if he's supposed to be Diana's twin, she's no longer thousands of years old like they intended at first.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-24-2020 at 04:38 AM.

Spectacular Member

According to Darkseid War, Diana and Jason were born during the roman empire, so about 2000 years ago. She aged on PI until she was 18 and didn't age after that, considering Rucka's run, it was stated she is a teenager. After that, it was never told if she aged normally, slowly or at all, her 23 years old in N52 being retcon in rebirth.

Now there is 5G and her being present in WW2. I think we will have to wait for more stories for something more accurate. Personnaly, i don't take 5G into account until continuity is adressed.

So they're born in the Roman Empire but stayed babies until Philipus hand Jason to Glaucus in the modern era, then both rapid ages.

No it's more likely that Glaucus is supposed to be on an ancient ship and the greek island they lived in supposed to look ancient since he's mentioned to be immortal. It's a huge art mistake but makes more sense than both of them rapidly age at the same time after spending hundreds of years as a baby.
    Last edited by Restingvoice; 05-24-2020 at 01:40 PM.

Amazing Member

to OP: Didn't anyone tell you that you don't talk about the age of a lady? SCNR...

Astonishing Member

I'm okay with her looking 18 when he comes to Man's World, but it doesn't make sense for her to BE 18...not with thousands of years of Amazon history.

I kinda like the New 52 idea someone posted earlier. She was 18 for thousands of years but pretty much stayed the same. But the 10 years of being Wonder Woman have changed her and caused her to mature.

Quote Originally Posted by bat39 View Post
    I'm okay with her looking 18 when he comes to Man's World, but it doesn't make sense for her to BE 18...not with thousands of years of Amazon history.

I kinda like the New 52 idea someone posted earlier. She was 18 for thousands of years but pretty much stayed the same. But the 10 years of being Wonder Woman have changed her and caused her to mature.
    So does these mean that donna and diana are close in age, like diana is about 4 or 5 years older? I'd hope so, they'd be closer as sisters.

I prefer a young diana anyway. Her world is to underdeveloped for a character thousands or even decades old.